Dauphine TT - spoiler and observations
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Dauphine TT - spoiler and observations

Looking at photos from today's TT at the Libere Dauphine, I realized that Mayo's victory may be even more impressive than it seems at first blush. He beat Tyler and Lance, no small accomplishment. But what struck me was the comparison in equipment. Lance and Tyler were riding full blown TT rigs, with their brand new aero TT helmets. Lance had a disc wheel; couldn't tell from the photos if Tyler did or not.

But what really struck me was Mayo's gear. Standard helmet, standard Orbea Orca bike, Cosmic wheels, and the only apparent concession to the fact that it was a TT was a set of clip-on handlebars. Granted it was a short TT, but the collective aero effect of a full TT rig versus a standard road bike with clip-ons should be enough to be significant.

In terms of rider strength, it seems the race wasn't as close as the results would indicate. I doubt Lance was sandbagging, given all the publicity about his problems with a TT rig for this year. Mayo is obviously in great shape, and it's going to be an interesting July.

May 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DMoore
    Mayo's victory may be even more impressive than it seems at first blush. He beat Tyler and Lance, no small accomplishment. But what struck me was the comparison in equipment...
    What should really impress is that yesterday Mayo was kicking a$$ in the Classique des Alpes while LA and Tyler were resting.

Xeo

Jul 2003

The fact that there was...

what appears to be a significant climb on the latter half of the stage probably negated any benefit from a full-on TT rig, and might have hindered Lance and Tyler at the beginning of the stage. And actually looking at some of the photographs on cyclingnews, I'm not convinced Lance was on his TT machine at all, but just added a TT bar to the mix instead of Mayo's clip on bars.

And the fact that Mayo won the prolouge last year, certainly means that he can excel in that type of stage.

The rest of the race will tell the tale of who has it and who doesn't, we can only watch and see. I just hope OLN has some decent coverege of this race, I should go and check the schedule.

Late

What offseason?
    Lance was definitely on his TT bike.. and one with a new paintjob to boot - see image below.

Also, as stated before, Mayo won the prologue on a similar course last year and won it by a bigger margin - not saying that it wasn't a good win, but this doesn't mean a thing.. it just means he rode 5.4 kilometers with a nice little climb built in it slightly faster than Lance or Tyler. Basically means he was 1.5 pedal revolutions ahead of Lance Bring on Ventoux.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg tt.jpg (189.7 KB, 440 views)

May 2002
    Tyler sure lost considerable back fat since the Tour of Romandia. He's looking in serious racing shape now.

What offseason?
    Quote Originally Posted by divve
    Tyler sure lost considerable back fat since the Tour of Romandia. He's looking in serious racing shape now.
    I was waiting for someone to comment on Lance's love handles..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Nice!

where did you get that pic g8110? I think Mayo has been peaking for awhile now considering his performances. With a month still to go until the TDF I would not count on him making a good show. He has been flying all spring just about. Tyler too, he is in pretty damn good form to pull that off this early. Lance will own Ventoux

Did anyone see Treks new Road bike paint jobs on the team cars =)

What offseason?
    I got the photo from Velonews.. it's a Graham Watson shot, but not on his website. I saw the team bikes too.. at first I thought it was their old 1999 paint job