DC posters rise up in revolt!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    MB1
    MB1 is offline
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Reputation: MB1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,910

    DC posters rise up in revolt!

    I looked all over for the DC Regional forum and there doesn't seem to be one. DC, you know "The District of Columbia". Our nations capital, home of the free and the brave and last in the American League. Not to mention home and workplace of a lot of RBR posters.

    It is bad enough that we live in the Murder Capital of the US, home of the pothole without repair, and taxation without representation. gregg has struck us with the final indignity and we just can't and will not go on like this.

    That is right, we have been left off the Regional forums.

    I assume that to correct this grievous error gregg will give us a regional forum of our own (and lots of schawg for our next few rides).

  2. #2
    Done
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,509

    Angry And Don't Forget -- We Have The Most Polluted River In The Country! Boo Ya!

    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    I looked all over for the DC Regional forum and there doesn't seem to be one. DC, you know "The District of Columbia". Our nations capital, home of the free and the brave and last in the American League. Not to mention home and workplace of a lot of RBR posters.

    It is bad enough that we live in the Murder Capital of the US, home of the pothole without repair, and taxation without representation. gregg has struck us with the final indignity and we just can't and will not go on like this.

    That is right, we have been left off the Regional forums.

    I assume that to correct this grievous error gregg will give us a regional forum of our own (and lots of schawg for our next few rides).
    C'mon -- you gotta give it up for DC and the Anacostia River! It tops the list for being among the most polluted rivers ever tested. Ever. Just ask those cancerous Anacostian catfish -- 50 to 60 percent tested have liver tumors (a 5 percent incidence is evidence of a serious pollution problem) -- they want an RBR forum for their DC homies.

    All kidding aside, this report really p*sses me off. They suspect that the pollution is coming from car emissions that have settled to the ground and have washed into the river, along with an antiquated sewer system that dumps raw sewage in the river when it rains. And it's all happening just a few miles from where I saw two beautiful bald eagles on my way in to work...
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

  3. #3
    hi, I'm Larry
    Reputation: bimini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,254

    It's not even a real state

    Not even a real state of mind judging by George and the supporting cast from both sides of the arena.

    Just Joking!

    But who am I to talk. Iowa's building a 200 acre indoor rainforest down the street from me. What we need it for, I do not know. But I do know that Iowa's vote on the spending bill does not come cheap even if we do spend the money foolishly.

    At first I though the local city council was smoking dope. Yeah, lets plant a rainforest in the middle of Iowa and spend 300 million doing it (only someone or a group of someones on serious drugs could have visions like these). Instead of field of dreams - Field of dope dreams. The scarry thing is they pulled it off. Ain't America Grand! Build it and they will come.

  4. #4
    Go Blue
    Reputation: MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10,106

    There are no "real people" in DC, so . . .

    you do not deserve a forum.

    When I was in college and for a semester before I went to law school (circa 1980), I worked for a member of congress. Whenever one of the staff would voice an opinion that differed from the member's opinion, she would roar "but I want to know what 'real people' think." It became an office joke that there were no "real people" in DC, only fake ones.

    For the few real people in DC, I graciously invite you to post with us Marylanders. After all, DC was part of the Free State before we ceded it to the Federal Government. And, it looks to me like a substantial number of MB1's riding pictures are shot in Maryland anyway.

  5. #5
    Go Blue
    Reputation: MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10,106

    Can they put a bike path in it?

    Quote Originally Posted by bimini
    Not even a real state of mind judging by George and the supporting cast from both sides of the arena.

    Just Joking!

    But who am I to talk. Iowa's building a 200 acre indoor rainforest down the street from me. What we need it for, I do not know. But I do know that Iowa's vote on the spending bill does not come cheap even if we do spend the money foolishly.

    At first I though the local city council was smoking dope. Yeah, lets plant a rainforest in the middle of Iowa and spend 300 million doing it (only someone or a group of someones on serious drugs could have visions like these). Instead of field of dreams - Field of dope dreams. The scarry thing is they pulled it off. Ain't America Grand! Build it and they will come.
    Given what I hear about Iowa winters, I would think that you could support it if they put an indoor bike path in it. Riding in a warm, tropical rainforest in the middle of winter doesn't sound bad to someone like me who has slipped on black ice too many times this winter.

  6. #6
    hi, I'm Larry
    Reputation: bimini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,254

    The bike path is the first thing going in

    So they bought my vote. Actually there is a new bike path going in along the river this year that will run adjacent to the rainforest dome and the new hotel confrence center the city is putting in. It is an add on to the bike path I do my training on every day. I will shoot some pictures while they are building it. A 20 story high 200 acre modern glass sculpture with a rain forest inside. Just what everyone needs. Who knows, I might get involved building it. New line for the resume. Built rainforest in Iowa.

  7. #7
    Done
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,509

    At Least Virginia Had The Common Sense To Take Their Portion Back...

    At least Virginia had the common sense to take back their portion of DC. That's why DC looks so funky -- it was supposed to be a square, with a portion over on the Virginia side of the river. In fact, the Jones Point lighthouse in Alexandria still has the stone that marked the Southern "tip" of DC.

    Where in Maryland are you located?
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

  8. #8
    Go Blue
    Reputation: MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10,106

    Maryland location

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Taylor
    At least Virginia had the common sense to take back their portion of DC. That's why DC looks so funky -- it was supposed to be a square, with a portion over on the Virginia side of the river. In fact, the Jones Point lighthouse in Alexandria still has the stone that marked the Southern "tip" of DC.

    Where in Maryland are you located?
    One idea that I have seen in print recently would be to allow the residents of DC to vote as if they were part of Maryland (i.e., they would vote for our US Senators and be part of our electoral vote for president). I expect that it will get as far as DC statehood will. But, even if it happened, it would not make any difference -- Maryland is about the last place that will elect a Republican US Senator (at least in the forseeable future) or vote for a Republican for president.

    I work in Downtown Baltimore and live in Owings Mills (a suburb northwest of Baltimore). Baltimore has no real bike paths or bike lanes. So, my occasional commute is not as nice as I would expect commuting in DC can be. But, I live right on the edge of the valleys north of Baltimore that have been protected from development -- there are lots of good rides that are not too far from my house.

    Mark S (formerly ms on the old board)

  9. #9
    Non non normal
    Reputation: bigrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    10,054

    Hey, DC is in the Mid-Atlantic Region

    You guys don't really want your own regional forum do you? I mean what would they call it?

    Marion Barry Supporter Forum
    Capital Hill Climber Forum


    Come on, just stay and play with the rest of us Marylanders as well as the rest of the mid-atlantic region. We'd be glad to have you, as long as you continue to show pics of the Mid-Atlantic region rides.

    Just think, I would be complaining about being left out but my town lost the vote to be the Capital of the United States by one vote.
    Last edited by bigrider; 02-11-2004 at 07:05 PM.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

  10. #10
    MB1
    MB1 is offline
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Reputation: MB1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,910

    gregg left us out.

    Just another insult to the citizens of DC by an uncaring America.

    For those who don't know DC is the only part of the United States that has taxation without representation. Yes that is right, the law abiding tax paying folks living in DC do not have a Congressperson or Senator.

    The highest elected office in DC is Mayor. Most of DC is run by the same US government that has disenfranchised it's citizens.

  11. #11
    cyclist
    Reputation: gregg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    7,900
    Now Corrected! Whoops!

  12. #12
    flinty-eyed moderator
    Reputation: Coolhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,846
    All that lead in the water is making you people crazy!

    ;)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.