Is this deal a steal or a rip-off?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Is this deal a steal or a rip-off?

Have an offer to buy barely used Mavic Cosmic Elite wheelset for $150 (retail is $350). I've been riding stock Bontrager Race Lites on my Trek 5200 for a few years and am now finally interested in racing. What do you think of upgrading(?) to these Mavics? I checked these on the Reviews section and reviews were mixed. And there was something about them filling up with water in the rain?

I assume they are fully compatible with my Ultegra 53/39 setup.

Any experience with these? TIA.

"It's all about style."

Not such a bad deal...

I've been using that wheelset for my "training set" because they are heavier than my Ksyriums. It's a good wheelset, and I've had no problems with them for over 3,000 mi.
    It's always a good idea to have a 2nd set of wheels, especially if your racing.
    Just make sure they are "true" and rotate smoothly.
    "It's better to look good, than to feel good."

n00bsauce

I wouldn't consider it an upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by team_sheepshead
    Have an offer to buy barely used Mavic Cosmic Elite wheelset for $150 (retail is $350). I've been riding stock Bontrager Race Lites on my Trek 5200 for a few years and am now finally interested in racing. What do you think of upgrading(?) to these Mavics? I checked these on the Reviews section and reviews were mixed. And there was something about them filling up with water in the rain?

I assume they are fully compatible with my Ultegra 53/39 setup.

Any experience with these? TIA.
    I think your Bontys are a fine wheel and at least equal or better than the Cosmic Elites. Either save up for some serious weight weenie wheels or save your cash (assuming there's nothing wrong with the Bontys). The type of racing you're planning on doing would also have a bearing on your choice. Crits require fairly light but strong wheels, there's alot of accelerating being done so you want wheels you can spin up fast. On the other hand there's alot of tight cornering where a stout wheel comes in handy. Crits are probably the most demanding on wheels. For stage or road races stick with what you've got. For TT or tri racing go aero.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member

ditto

a good deal, but not an upgrade. You're just moving laterally to another brand. I wouldn't bother. Save the $$$ for a real upgrade later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    I think your Bontys are a fine wheel and at least equal or better than the Cosmic Elites. Either save up for some serious weight weenie wheels or save your cash (assuming there's nothing wrong with the Bontys). The type of racing you're planning on doing would also have a bearing on your choice. Crits require fairly light but strong wheels, there's alot of accelerating being done so you want wheels you can spin up fast. On the other hand there's alot of tight cornering where a stout wheel comes in handy. Crits are probably the most demanding on wheels. For stage or road races stick with what you've got. For TT or tri racing go aero.