Decent Inexpensive Sunglasses?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Decent Inexpensive Sunglasses?

I've given up buying expensive sunglasses. I always end up dropping them, or sitting on them, or losing them. So, I'm looking for some sunglasses that are good for cycling that don't cost too much. What do you guys use?

Don't Tread on Me
    Aug 2009
    I've bought some cheap ( inexpensive ) polarized fishing glasses from Walmart, and I've been happy with them.

I hear you on messing up expensive sun glasses. I have numerous pairs from Maui Jims, to Revo's to Ray Bans and Armanis.

I'll probably one day end up buying a pair of Rudy's to see what all the hype is about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It depends on what you consider cheep. I buy Tifosi sunglasses to ride in. There $50 and I wont freak out of they get broken. I also keep a par of Oakley's in my car. I find really cheep glasses give me headaches becasue the optical quality just sux.

eRacer
    Too bad PBK no longer carries their PBK Glasses.
    I bought 4 pair with 5 lenses and they were only $16.
    They are terrific. Not sure why they are no longer available.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

vexatious enigma
    Tifosi and Ryder are two that come to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoph
    I've given up buying expensive sunglasses. I always end up dropping them, or sitting on them, or losing them. So, I'm looking for some sunglasses that are good for cycling that don't cost too much. What do you guys use?
    I'm in the opposite camp... I've given up on buying cheap sunglasses.

I just got a pair from Performance a couple months back ($30), and they've already broken at the hinge... and I didn't do a durn thing to 'em. Didn't drop 'em, sit on 'em... nothing.

And of course this sort of thing has also happened to me with my last couple of driving sunglasses too. I bought the cheap drugstore kind both times, and both broke at the hinge fairly quickly with me doing absolutely nothing bad to 'em.

Final score: Ghetto sunglasses 3, SystemShock 0.

So... f*** cheap shades. I'm done with 'em.

And f*** whoever designed the planned obsolensce into 'em too. F***king vultures.
    Last edited by SystemShock; 05-02-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

banned
    I eased into sunglasses.

Bought my first pair for $30. (Ironman glasses at Sports Authority...later found out they were made my a reputable manufacturer).
    They were okay and were much better than non-cycling specific glasses.

If I had known about Performance Bikes glasses, I would've definitely have gone with them.
    I think they make the best budget glasses out there for cycling.

My 2nd pair was/are a pair of Tifosi Logic Fototecs. MSRP was $70., but I picked mine up for $50.
    (with a nice semi-hard case and micro cloth bag).

Tifosi Fototecs start in the $30. range and they are far superior to any $30. range glasses you'd get at Performance.

You can get a decent pair of Performance glasses for $20. or you can get a great pair of glasses for $10.-$15. more from Tifosi.

I personally think that they offer the best value out there now.
    And they have a large assortment of styles/fits (and fit is most important).

Problem is, my Tifosis are so good, I'm wanting to get a pair of Oakleys now! It never ends!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    i have rudy project. they are cheap because they are almost 10 yrs. old. Every bit is user replacable. If i do not lose them they are immortal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Find some safety glasses. They're cheap, tough, and work as well as expensive sunglasses. And unlike Oakleys, etc, safety glasses actually protect your eyes from impact (they're tested to ANSI Z87.1 and CSA Z94.3 standards).

My current favorites (I like frameless):

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/s2520st.html

I've also heard good things about these:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smitwesphans.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I am using Espresso sunglasses from Mec Coop $25 I bought them last fall lens are about $10so far so good blocks wind well fit for my M mellon is great, you have to be caefull of the lens because it is a type of plastic so they will scratch easy

semi-literate moron
    Jan 2009
    Sun Cloud has stylish, solidly constructed polarized shades for around $50-$60 bucks... Pepper has polarized shades for as little as $35. Both are available at REI, so if literally anything goes wrong with them, you can return them...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    For commuting, I use safety glasses. Cheap, and I don't care if they break. I use the clear no-frame one for the dark mornings, yellow for overcast and grey or photo for summer.

For my MTB and road rides, I use Tifosi but I try to get them on sale. Also got some Sefras 3 lens ones cheap that work quite well. I used to be an 'Oakley or nothing' person but they broke as fast as any cheap brands and scratched about as quickly. I really don't care about 'the look'. They have to protect my eyes.

I think at this point if I break my Tifosi's , I will buy good safety glasses and forget the style gods because they really are designed to protect your eyes and pass ANSI as was already pointed out here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    $50 Tifosi's. Mid priced in my opinion. Frames are great. The ear pieces are adjustable by just bending them by hand. They stay in place even when it gets hot and sweaty. The lenses do not meet the quality of RayBan, Scott, Bolle, etc). The optics seem a little off to me. The lenses are prone to cracking where they clip into the nose bridge. I've broken two and had to pay $10 each to replace. Not much of a warranty. They did come with 4 sets of lenses. I wanted a clear set for night riding in 24 hour events. Overall decent for the money, with awsome frame and lens options.

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 Tifosi, however, just dropped $122 on some Oakley's. After my ride yesterday we went to a restaurant and I left them on the top of the car, they were still there when I got back.
    Last edited by Tommy Walker; 05-02-2010 at 09:21 AM.
    ----------------
    I am participating in the 2012 Tour de Cure to raise money to Help Stop Diabetes. Please Click Here to view my page or if you would like to make a donation.

banned

So. Calif.
    Check out "shooting glasses". I've been buying Remington-branded T71 or T72 glasses from Amazon, IIRC under $10-12.

They wrap around nicely and don't block peripheral vision -- especially good for contact lens wearers, who are dust & wind sensitive.

Shatter-resistant polycarbonate lenses in a variety of tints, and optical quality has been quite good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    tifosi:

waterproof*
    I've had good results with the sunglasses that Lowe's / Home Depot sells. Wraparound style, look like biker glasses. One pair took a direct his of a large piece of gravel in a race, and showed only the tiniest chip. Good optical quality.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Though I have a pair of Oakley Radars and a pair of Smith Reactors I still enjoy wearing the CAT-1 photochromatic sunglasses I bought from Performance a couple of seasons ago. Got them for half price, which was like $25-30. I think they are now branded under Performance's Scattante brand. Because much of my riding involves tree-lined areas then to open areas I enjoy the photochromatic lenses so much these are my go-to sunglasses when riding. They came with two sets of lenses (grey for sunnier rides and orange for overcast or darker light rides). The grey lenses don't block out as much light transmission as true sunglasses but still enough to wear on bright days. I have not tried the orange lenses and might give them a try for evening rides.

Adventure Seeker
    I got a pair at Academy, I think they're Foster Grant, but the model is Triumph. They've been excellent cycling glasses, and look like that's what they're made for. I also have a pair of polarized ones too, but they look goofy when I have my helmet on.
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock
    I'm in the opposite camp... I've given up on buying cheap sunglasses.

I just got a pair from Performance a couple months back ($30), and they've already broken at the hinge... and I didn't do a durn thing to 'em. Didn't drop 'em, sit on 'em... nothing.
    Yes, but Performance will replace the glasses for free. I've had a pair of Vectors for five years and the smoke lenses got scratched. They sold me a pair of replacement lenses for $5.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya
    I got a pair at Academy, I think they're Foster Grant, but the model is Triumph. They've been excellent cycling glasses, and look like that's what they're made for. I also have a pair of polarized ones too, but they look goofy when I have my helmet on.
    It was Foster Grant who made my Ironmans.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Pedal Master
    I love my Ryders and think they were only about thirty bucks.
    I Like B-I-K-E-S.

RoadBikeReview Member
    which model Tifosi are you all riding

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast