Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GlobalGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    361
    There are many things about cycling I love. Number one it gets my retired no family self out and doing something healthy and fun for 2-5 hours a day two or three days a week. I like the experience of riding in of itself. Separately I also am a lifelong athlete that likes to compete. Strava among other things allows me to compete against myself or to measure any changes, especially age-related, (I'm 72.) At my age there are in my area about 30 serious Strava riders in the new Strava 70-74 age backet. I like to compete against them time wise on descents and flat segments of my choosing when and where I want. (Just segments not the whole rides.) I like to compare my physiological performance for same rides....average cadence, watts, speed, HR, (avg and max.)

    Whether I am riding for speed/time/PR or just light training the above info is also helpful or appreciated.

    All of the above is me. It's just my personal choices. At any time I can choose to ignore or modify my focus or goals.

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,003
    I only use strava for kom hunting. It's both comical and a good workout.

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,003
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    It wasn't so much the Strava as it was riding longer distances solo and all their effects on time, nutrition (220lb guy climbing 4K feet burns a lot of calories).
    Only with high power, which you probably didn't have with all the descending.

    130lb person averaging 276 watts will burn more more kJ (roughly 1000 calories an hour) than a 230 lb person averaging 250 watts.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    You don't have to compete with other people, the key is not giving a ****. I primarily use Strava as a diary or logbook. I like looking back on rides, pictures, and memories.
    Didn't read everyones reply as I agree with the first post. I get a visual of the "common metrics" you refer to. I enjoy looking at the ride.

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    Only with high power, which you probably didn't have with all the descending.

    130lb person averaging 276 watts will burn more more kJ (roughly 1000 calories an hour) than a 230 lb person averaging 250 watts.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you could simplify that statement to:

    Rider averaging 276 watts will burn more KJ than rider averaging 250 watts (i.e. KJ is proportional to power, not weight).

    With that said, a 130 lb rider would need to climb faster (much faster?) to burn the same KJ as a 230 lb rider on a 4k ft climb... or to put it another way, to generate the same power on the climb.

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,003
    Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you could simplify that statement to:

    Rider averaging 276 watts will burn more KJ than rider averaging 250 watts (i.e. KJ is proportional to power, not weight).

    With that said, a 130 lb rider would need to climb faster (much faster?) to burn the same KJ as a 230 lb rider on a 4k ft climb... or to put it another way, to generate the same power on the climb.
    Yeah, but that's a weird second paragraph.

    The 130 lb rider would climb faster as a result of a significantly higher w/kg. The faster speed would be a result, not a cause.

    Point in all this being, climbing 4k and being 220 lbs doesn't mean you're burning a lot of calories. In fact, you're probably burning less than you think due to the descending and would likely burn as much on a flat ride in which you're pedaling the entire time.

    As you said, kJ is proportional to power, not weight.

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I never did Strava.

    Cycling is a way for me to unplug, relax and recalibrate. Life is full of competition and obligations. I don't need Strava to ruin one of my last few recreational pleasures.
    ^^^ where I come down as well. Never did it. I privately tracked my rides with Garmin to keep track of metrics while training a couple of years ago. At least 1/2 of the riders I ride with are on Strava. They are surprised I am not on there I suppose because I can keep up with them...like Strava is some sort of magic training tool.

    But, I don't judge others and whatever others want to do is fine. But I don't want greater complexity associated with riding my bike is the bottom line. Why I don't ride with power either. Just don't feel like chasing the dragon all the time.

    To each his own.

  8. #33
    GC
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    27
    Thanks for sharing this. I hear you.
    I like to keep focus on exercise and enjoying my time on the bike. It fits better into my schedule and I ride more often.

    I use strava as a diary, etc. I can and do share rides with a very small handful of people I actually know. Even then I have my strava setting to default not to share.

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    36
    what he/she said. Im enjoying Strava more than ever. Just got a power meter at 58 years old and love that too. But everybody is different.

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Ditto.


    Especially since it is known that thieves watch Strava rides to figure out which houses/garages/apartments to hit.
    That's why your Pinacolderosianchi Nouveau Riche Dentiste needs to self identify as a Walmart Black Friday special on Strava.

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,053
    With the prices of power meters coming down and people using them (especially the "competitvely minded" cyclists), I see more and more people have their "weighted power" show up on their Strava rides. This has become an interesting number to gaze at! With an actual weighted power, now you can sort of guessimate how much you and the next guy are doing vs the cat 1 guys vs the pros (yep many pros will not mind posting their Strava rides and even races with their power numbers).

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,971
    I keep mine private for another reason as well.

    I use it on long motorcycle rides and when I do I get tons of red flags so I switched to private mode.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,003
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    With an actual weighted power, now you can sort of guessimate how much you and the next guy are doing vs the cat 1 guys vs the pros (yep many pros will not mind posting their Strava rides and even races with their power numbers).
    Not really.

    Racing is not anything like training or group rides. And pro/1 racing is absolutely nothing like cat 3 or 4 or 5 racing. And UCI racing is nothing like pro/1 racing.

    People that don't race have absolutely no idea what racing is like, and a powermeter is not going to help that a bit. The power and speed necessary to race well is mind-boggling to those that don't do it. I am blown away at the power and speed necessary to podium a PRT crit. I still can't quite fathom the difference at the very frontand I race PRT crits (and have top 20 results in them).

    Actual worldtour racing is so far removed that I haven't a clue how they do anything they do.

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,930
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    Not really.

    Racing is not anything like training or group rides. And pro/1 racing is absolutely nothing like cat 3 or 4 or 5 racing. And UCI racing is nothing like pro/1 racing.

    People that don't race have absolutely no idea what racing is like, and a powermeter is not going to help that a bit. The power and speed necessary to race well is mind-boggling to those that don't do it. I am blown away at the power and speed necessary to podium a PRT crit. I still can't quite fathom the difference at the very frontand I race PRT crits (and have top 20 results in them).

    Actual worldtour racing is so far removed that I haven't a clue how they do anything they do.

    the hilly roads in my area I ride the most have many segments which were on the provincial championships a few times. So all the Strava segment leaders are from those races and give an objective picture of what the top cat riders, including some conti-level pros can do here (OK most KOM owned by Rob Britton, who won TdUtah last year). Though they do the climbs 2x my speed! And yet those riders not in the league of a proper pro race in EU.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Fewer long rides vs more shorter rides
    By leadout_kv in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 12:22 PM
  2. Longer top tube/shorter stem or shorter top tube longer stem
    By Ranger Pride in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 09:47 PM
  4. Why is cross riding "harder" than road riding?
    By RoadLoad in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 04:38 AM
  5. multiple shorter training rides or fewer long rides?
    By blurry in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 08:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.