Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Deleted Strava, started riding shorter harder rides and enjoying cycling a lot more.

I used to ride these long tough multi hour rides just to compete with my "friends" on Strava. I would come home wrecked and depleted, and it would take me a day or three to charge up and saddle up. My rides would have me out of the house for 2-4 hours and require planning of time and nutrition. I would limp home just turning the cranks over with only a stupid Strava badge to show for it.

I had my first child last year and took a bit of time off. For a while we would take the city bike with her seat on the back to the park and when I'd come home I'd glance at my BMC wondering if I'd find the time or motivation. Well, a few months later I took a completely different approach. I deleted Strava and lost the cycling computer, though I have put the Wahoo back on for practical metrics like distance and time. I now go out for shorter more intense rides in fairly hilly terrain around my house, which are about one hour in duration. I don't upload my Wahoo rides to Strava, the Wahoo app or anything, I just go upstairs and hop in the shower.

I find that I'm able to ride more often, I don't feel completely wrecked at the end of the ride and I am able to push harder or hold longer on these shorter rides, knowing that if I blow up home is not too far out. Net, net, I enjoy it much more than roaming the countryside thirty miles away from home constantly assessing time, nutrition, etc.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    You don't have to compete with other people, the key is not giving a ****. I primarily use Strava as a diary or logbook. I like looking back on rides, pictures, and memories.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I’ve only ever used Strava as a resource to track my rides. Started in 2012. I like to look back and see the routes I’ve ridden and sometimes the month I rode them in among other bits of info. I like it for a tracking tool only. Never have I used it for a “faux race” tool.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to ride these long tough multi hour rides just to compete with my "friends" on Strava
    Friends in quotes? Not really friends but strangers on Strava? If so, that's an easy fix. Delete them.

Deleted Strava, started riding shorter harder rides
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. You can use strava and still do shorter/harder rides.
    And of course if peer pressure is just too much, you can upload your rides as Private. Then your "friends" don't see how fast (or slow) you are.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I keep All my rides Private.
    No one needs to know what my habits are.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I felt the same when a team I was on started using strava back in 2008. For training to race it moved a lot of our riders in the wrong direction. Not bashing strava more the users. But it's cool you figured out it's not for you. Not for me either. For some it's a real motivator so good for them.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

Ditto.

Especially since it is known that thieves watch Strava rides to figure out which houses/garages/apartments to hit.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    I felt the same when a team I was on started using strava back in 2008. For training to race it moved a lot of our riders in the wrong direction. Not bashing strava more the users. But it's cool you figured out it's not for you. Not for me either. For some it's a real motivator so good for them.
    Yea, there was definitely a noticeable change in rider behavior after Strava became known to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Especially since it is known that thieves watch Strava rides to figure out which houses/garages/apartments to hit.
    In the privacy settings, you can set up to a 1/2mi privacy zone around locations (home, work, etc) to prevent anyone knowing where you begin/finish your rides.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    You don't have to compete with other people, the key is not giving a ****. I primarily use Strava as a diary or logbook. I like looking back on rides, pictures, and memories.
    yep

and I still look forward to the long long rides I get to do in the summer when its warm enough to do them. I lose weight fairly quickly doing those rides, which I need more of. My winters are mostly 1 hour rides and mtn biking and hour or two. Too short to really lose weight and the cold makes me hungry. Look forward to retiring and spending 4 months in AZ heat in winter.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Darling of The Lounge
    I never did Strava.

Cycling is a way for me to unplug, relax and recalibrate. Life is full of competition and obligations. I don't need Strava to ruin one of my last few recreational pleasures.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yea, there was definitely a noticeable change in rider behavior after Strava became known to everyone.

In the privacy settings, you can set up to a 1/2mi privacy zone around locations (home, work, etc) to prevent anyone knowing where you begin/finish your rides.

Yea....a 1/2 mile isn't a whole lot. Especially in low density rural areas.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Not a climber
    If you need to delete Strava and avoid the Wahoo app to have fun cycling, that's a personal problem more than the app forcing you to do stuff. It's a motivator for me, pushes me to get out and ride more when I see my friends have 1000 more miles than I do already this year. They race and train all the time, but still, the more I get out on the bike, the happier and healthier I am. And when I get home wrecked from a ride, I feel like I've pushed myself harder than I would without any competition.

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    It's too bad I can't block the windows of the 70 unit condo building across the street, preventing them from seeing me walk my bike in and out of my house a couple times a week. Pretty sure the hundreds of shady people on my street know I have multiple expensive bikes, but hopefully the fact that so many people can see my house at any point in the day keeps others from breaking in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Huh.

It has never occurred to me to do this. I was on Strava for years, but found that there's something nice to just going out for a ride. Big ring those hills, work hard and be home in time for bath time.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Strava offers lots of things that one can choose to use or not for whatever reason(s) they cycle. Strava is neither good or bad. It is either valuable or not by one's choices. Its many features are there for one to choose or to ignore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    yep

and I still look forward to the long long rides I get to do in the summer when its warm enough to do them. I lose weight fairly quickly doing those rides, which I need more of. My winters are mostly 1 hour rides and mtn biking and hour or two. Too short to really lose weight and the cold makes me hungry. Look forward to retiring and spending 4 months in AZ heat in winter.
    I was never able to lose weight doing 50-70 mile rides. It would leave me spent ravaged and just destroyed. My Wahoo would tell me I burned like 2,000-3,000 calories and I was eating a gel or three. I would go home black out, sleep, and just be lethargic for 48-72 hours. My lack of nutrition sense made me deep depletion cycle my body.

I am losing weight after cleaning up my diet. Down 10lbs and falling with < 50 miles per week on the bike. It's all diet, but the bike helps to correct any imbalances in CICO (calories IN calories OUT) like the fruit tart I had the other day.

I'm not swearing them off - those longer four hour rides - I just wanted to report on my newfound enjoyment of cycling now that I'm out there big ringing hills for 1-1.5 hours and heading home.
    Last edited by 9W9W; 07-02-2018 at 03:15 PM.

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    If you need to delete Strava and avoid the Wahoo app to have fun cycling, that's a personal problem more than the app forcing you to do stuff.
    Cool story, bro. Thanks for the armchair psychoanalysis. You may want to work on reading comprehension before diving into the really deep stuff.

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    sorry for not multi-quoting but that ship has sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I know, but i inevitably start competing. I start wanting to bite off more than I can chew. 4-5K feet climbing? well, sht, let me try that.

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    And another thing, I never paid for it ;)
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I never did Strava.

Cycling is a way for me to unplug, relax and recalibrate. Life is full of competition and obligations. I don't need Strava to ruin one of my last few recreational pleasures.
    Well said. I feel the same way exactly.

banned
    Jan 2011
    Funny, I am sitting here wrecked and depleted after a pretty big ride today (+ it was the 8th day straight of rides) and it was my bastard friends in real life that "made" me do it not Strava. Strava only proves I did it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I've pared my distances down some this year too. Mostly just due to lack of time. I've averaged 9000 miles a year the last three years. This year I've been doing shorter more intense rides with a few scattered centuries just to remind myself I can do them.

One downside to more intensity for me has been more physical niggles. My knees don't love the hard intervals. Too many of those, or too long, and I'll have to take a day or two off and ice the knees. Whereas the longer tempo paced rides don't tend to cause as much physical stress on the body.

As far as Strava goes, I love it. I don't use it the way most do though. I don't chase KOM's, and rarely pay much attention to my own segment times.

I've made some good friends (outside of cycling) through Strava, and really enjoy watching some of my friends activities. I pay a lot more attention to the routes people ride and the pictures they take than I do the speeds, or power, or elevation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I've always said when it becomes a job, I'll hang up the bike.

I could care less how others are doing and just work on me. I've been doing more solo rides this year because there are times I just don't want to be on others time or always pounding. I do still ride with others though, just decided to do more solos this season. I want to enjoy the ride and not wiz by everything and let others do what they do.

To the OP, a new little one changes how we see and value life. We put more emphasis on family first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry, OP. I love Strava. I currently follow 183 athletes and know only a handful IRL. They are spread across the globe and I ride vicariously through them. A number of them are retired and have time to pile up miles.

My trajectory is opposite yours. After an injury in 2014 I did nothing but commute. Starting last year I began doing a 32-mile loop that didn't take me more than about 12 miles from home. I am slowly building back to where I was before I was injured, doing 80-plus mile rides and 5000-7000 feet climbing. Strava dutifully reminds me that my segment times are still way off. It also pushed me to suit up last December to hit 5000 miles; I may try for 6000 this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another 18 mile hammer fest in the cliffs outside of NYC last night. No more than 9 miles from home at any given point. Home and showered in 1.5 hours flat. Having a great week on the bike overall - no pedaling or being gone from home for hours - and pushing my body harder than ever.

It wasn't so much the Strava as it was riding longer distances solo and all their effects on time, nutrition (220lb guy climbing 4K feet burns a lot of calories) and just logistics. The way I see it now is if I am throwing my leg over the commuter I'm puttering around, if I'm throwing my leg over the race bike I might as well ride it like one. More work, less time.

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Strava can be whatever you want it to be. If you are into the whole KOM thing and that motivates you to ride more and you enjoy it by all means use it that way. If you just use it as a tool for tracking rides that is great too. The type of rides you do shouldn't be dictated by Strava unless completing certain challenges brings you enjoyment (doesn't sound like it does for you). You can do short intense rides with or without strava. Most of the badges are fairly easy to get anyways unless you are a beginner cyclist and I think most riders pick them up during the course of a month anyways without any extra planning. My first two years riding I probably used them as a way to challenge myself but for the last 4 years I haven't payed much attention the the badges at all.

Typical ride schedule for me is shorter rides during the week and try and get something longer in during the weekend, not because of strava, but simply because I enjoy the longer rides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast