Di2 Ultegra 6870 - SC-MT800 or SC-M9051
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017

Di2 Ultegra 6870 - SC-MT800 or SC-M9051

First post on the forums

I am upgrading my Di2 Ultegra 6870 setup with a new battery to allow synchroshifting. I have decided that I'd also like to add bluetooth set up capability BUT have opted to do this with a display unit (from the XT Di2 range).

My problem is that I can't find any information online about the differences between the SC-MT800 and the SC-M9051 display units.

I believe that I've narrowed down to the fact that the SC-M9051 was released later (based on its omission from older Schimano comparability charts but I come up empty on finding any feature comparisons between them. I can't even determine if one is more compatible than the other with a Di2 Ultegra 6870 road system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Forever a Student
    Both will work

Edit: Asked a guy who uses one and he says get the XT version not the XTR. I think the XTR only shows gear and battery life and XT will show wireless stuff too.
    Last edited by MMsRepBike; 06-16-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    use a torque wrench

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I use mt800 on my ultegra di2 rig. Still gets firmware updates and works with synchro and the like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks - from the latest compatibility charts - I know that both will work. I can't tell the difference between them in terms of features.

@MMsRepBike - which one is XT and which one is XTR?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    the 9000-y one is xtr

Also a bit sad that I have the origianl d-fly to talk to my garmin, but it doesn't do the bluethooth, so i'l have to buy a new one, ugh.

Also allthe stuff I've read says the new battery has a bluetooth chip, but you need the newer d-fly with bluetooth to talk to stuff... am I not understanding it right, or does that seem a bit dumb?
    All the gear and no idea

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    the 9000-y one is xtr

Also a bit sad that I have the origianl d-fly to talk to my garmin, but it doesn't do the bluethooth, so i'l have to buy a new one, ugh.

Also allthe stuff I've read says the new battery has a bluetooth chip, but you need the newer d-fly with bluetooth to talk to stuff... am I not understanding it right, or does that seem a bit dumb?

As near as I was able to tell the only difference between the M9050 and MT800 is the newer casing. Meanwhile the M9051 has bluetoothLE too (MT800 only has ANT+ IIRC).

MT800 is $70USD right now...which is what I paid for mine....meanwhile the M9050 is $100USD and the 9051 is $150USD...

Shimano XT Di2 SC-MT800 Display > Components > Drivetrain > Electronic Small & Misc. Parts | Jenson USA
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    As near as I was able to tell the only difference between the M9050 and MT800 is the newer casing. Meanwhile the M9051 has bluetoothLE too (MT800 only has ANT+ IIRC).

MT800 is $70USD right now...which is what I paid for mine....meanwhile the M9050 is $100USD and the 9051 is $150USD...

Shimano XT Di2 SC-MT800 Display > Components > Drivetrain > Electronic Small & Misc. Parts | Jenson USA
    I believe that the MT800 has ANT+ as well as Bluetooth. If it has no Bluetooth then the M9051 would be an easy choice - but I don't think that's the case from what I've read.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDeeAU View Post

@MMsRepBike - which one is XT and which one is XTR?

The 800 one is the XT. XTR are the other two, the 9050/9051 series ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post

Yes, a new battery and a new wireless unit is needed for the new bluetooth stuff. Shimano isn't very good at this stuff.

I don't use one of these, so I really don't know what's up, but what I was told is that the XT works good, the old XTR works but doesn't have the wireless stuff and the new XTR probably works with everything but is expensive. XT very possibly has wireless ant+ readouts but no bluetooth, no idea really.

Personally I'd probably get the 9051, I think it has everything the other two have. Seems to be the safest bet of getting all of the features if that's what you want. Of course it costs the most though.
    use a torque wrench

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDeeAU View Post
    I believe that the MT800 has ANT+ as well as Bluetooth. If it has no Bluetooth then the M9051 would be an easy choice - but I don't think that's the case from what I've read.

I'd have to check. I never tried sniffing my MT800 with a phone. Pairs right up with my Garmin fine though.

Depends how beholden you are to BT or ANT+. I'd love to be free of Garmin and ANT+, but nothing ticks all my boxes enough for me to drop Garmin.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    You see my dilemma ... I don't know if the MT800 and M9051 have the same feature set. If they do ... I would simply purchase the MT800.

@Marc - I have no ANT+ computers and don't intend to use them.

I have Bluetooth LE cadence and speed sensors and happy to take on the extra weight of my iPhone as the bike computer (using Runtastic's RoadBike+)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    MT800:
    Features
    • Identifies system status of: battery level, gear position, shift mode and FOX iRD suspension position
    • Provides audible shift notification chimes
    • Toggle between three Shimano Synchronized Shift modes available (S1/S2/Manual)
    • Digitally adjust front and rear derailleurs and provide numerical adjustment indicator
    • Wireless communication (ANT private/Bluetooth low energy)
    • Easy to set up, customization and data utilization in the field with smart phone, tablet etc
    • Battery charging port
    • 3 E-Tube ports
    • D-FLY compatible
    • 35mm Clamp included

SC-M9051 System Information Display
    Identify system status of: battery level, gear position, shift mode and FOX iRD suspension position; all at a glance
    Provide audible shift notification chimes
    Toggle between three Shimano Synchronized Shift modes available (S1/S2/Manual)
    Digitally adjust front and rear derailleurs and provide numerical adjustment indicator
    Wireless communication (ANT private/Bluetooth low energy) allows for easy to set up, customization and data utilization in the field with a smart phone, tablet and other mobile electronics
    Battery charging port
    3 E-Tube ports

Looks pretty similar
    All the gear and no idea

Forever a Student
    Just asked my buddy again, again he said to say to buy the XT one.

Says it does all the stuff, even the bluetooths.

Says do not buy the 9051 or any XTR unit.

Best I can do.

Edit: seems the above post actually answers the questions instead of the crap I'm spewing, well done.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    - thanks for your help - looks like the MT800 is the most sensible choice.

Did he didn't mention why he would stay away from the XTR 9051?

Forever a Student
    Price. "Really expensive."

Old XTR has no wireless stuff, new XTR is $$$.

XT is wireless and is $.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    it's liek with every part, or even with ultegra/dura ace, xtr is fancier, but pricier and while xtr (or DA) usually get the cool stuff first, 99% of that will be in the next XT/Ultegra
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    The MT800 definitely DOES have Bluetooth. I use it all the time with the iOS E-TUBE app.

I cannot see any advantages to the he 9051, and $70 is a great price for the MT800 - just a few bucks more than a regular A junction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Looking at the latest compatibility chart...

...it appears that you have to be careful about the battery and junction combination or it may not work. Read the notes and you'll see what I mean.

Compatibility Chart.jpg

Compatibility notes.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I called Shimano in California. As far at the technician I spoke to said, there is only 1 difference between SC-MT800 and SC-M9051. The SC-M9051 has the XTR logo and the other doesn't.