RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016

Discounts Off MSRP

I am starting my research phase into a new road bike. I have not settled on brand yet although I will probably be looking at something mid range (Ultegra Di2/ disc). Is it customary in the bike market especially looking at a bike around the $5000 mark for LBS to offer discounts off MSRP. Are there any brands where it is easier to obtain a discount? Looking at Pinarello, Canyon or Specialized at the this time but open to suggestions if there are other where good deals can be found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    You should be able to get a least 10% off msrp for a current model bike. Sometimes depends on your familiarity with the store and it's personnel. It can also depend on how much competition there is around for the sale. If you are at the only bike store in 200 miles it might be hard getting them to drop their price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I've always been offered around 10% off or no tax on the newest models, but not much more. Different story for older models, especially this time of year if your in a colder climate.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Its a good time of the year to shop for a bike. Just don't wait too long.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Its a good time of the year to shop for a bike. Just don't wait too long.

Well..it isn't. 2019s have been unveiled with price increases, then a trade war started and the "price corrections" to the new 2019 higher prices ensued.

I'm surprised bike brands haven't gone like bike component makers and making MAP=MSRP across the board yet.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm sure there's plenty of shops with plenty of 2018 inventory they're trying to get ride of. I've received several emails recently from the web merchandisers (Ribble, Excel, Chain, etc.) advertising end of year sales on bicycles.

I have no hard facts like some here ... just my historical observation that mid to late fall is a good time to get a deal on a bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Holidays season is approaching, and I expect some serious 30%-40% discount coming as online sellers will want to clear inventory. I notice that "mid to lower tier" brands like Giant, Ridley, Fuji, are the ones that get deep discount. Higher tier brands like Pinarello and Colnago will be less but still discounted nonetheless. Be patient.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Canyon is on-line only. So of course LBS discount is N/A and you can check for discounts with a few mouse clicks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Canyon is on-line only. So of course LBS discount is N/A and you can check for discounts with a few mouse clicks.
    No idea this was the case! I like this type of transparency in supply chain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    My LBS offers 10% off to members of the local club, of which they are also a sponsor.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebastianorozco View Post
    No idea this was the case! I like this type of transparency in supply chain.

Because every brand website doesn't have their msrp in plain view?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    op works/shills for Canyon.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Well..it isn't. 2019s have been unveiled with price increases, then a trade war started and the "price corrections" to the new 2019 higher prices ensued.
    Yup. It's a good thing I bought my Giant Propel when I did. The MSRP at the time of purchase two Saturdays ago was $5600. This week it's up to $5880 (+5%).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebastianorozco View Post
    Are there any brands where it is easier to obtain a discount? Looking at Pinarello, Canyon or Specialized at the this time but open to suggestions if there are other where good deals can be found.
    You should be able to snag a good deal on an outgoing 2018 model. If it's a 2019, I wouldn't count on much of a discount at all, if any. Some brands (i.e. Specialized) have strict price controls with their dealers. Nothing beats calling or emailing your local shops and asking what they have to offer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    make an offer, prepare to walk, and don't fall in love with any one bike.

Canyon is grossly overpriced in the US/Canada, last i checked! Giant is generally the better deal compared to the others, with a really good website-shop integrated with LBS shopping. Not that I have even bought a Giant yet, but I am impressed with their approach to pricing and shopping.

Canyon really F8*()cked up their launch here
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

BikerFox Wannabe
    If you’re buying from a LBS, ask them if they will offer a bit more discount if you pay cash instead of using a credit card (if you can pay cash). The shops I worked at back in the day were always willing to discount a little more for cash payment because of the savings from not getting hit with 2-3% credit card processing fees on the sale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    In the US, Performance often has 30% store credit back for complete bike purchases a few times a year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sometimes it just might be the dealer, this dealer in point was selling off 2015 inventory from the past owner as they had just taken over the store. Last September I went in to one of our local LBS looking for a jersey with and for the wife next day I walked out with two Cannondale Super 6 Evo's one a Sram Red (me) hers a 105, 60% off I couldn't refuse!