Do you clean your chain on or off your bike?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mar 2004

Do you clean your chain on or off your bike?

Do you remove your chain to clean it? Do you use a Park chain cleaning tool or just rags and degreaser?

Censored by *********
    Both. First, I put on the old Park cleaner and get the worst stuff off. Then, I take the chain off (Wipperman) and let it soak in degreaser while I clean the rear cogs and chainrings. FWIW, very little tends to come off in the soak. I think the Park cleaner works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by pugdog1
    Do you remove your chain to clean it? Do you use a Park chain cleaning tool or just rags and degreaser?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.

Charles Darwin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

I never remove my chain for cleaning...

I clean my chain ala the Lennard Zinn method. I run my chain backward a couple of times through a rag or heavy duty paper shop towel to remove all the old grease, then apply a small amount of Silicone Spray or homebrew or whatever and run the chain backward through another clean rag for about 10-15 revolutions. I do this after each ride, just takes about a minute and my chains stay nice and clean...it ain't a piece of art, it's just a damn bicycle chain.....

Diesel Engine

On the bike

Run the chain through a rag to get all of the outside crap off. Prolink to flush the crap from the inside, then spin the cranks a few times and wipe the excess lube from the chain.

Apr 2004

Leave it on

Leave it on. Use rags, wipe down, new lube, wipe excess off. New chains require a bit more work because of the "new chain goop". I usually soak those in a degreaser before putting them on. Same thing works for my road and mountain bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What Dinosaur and Mike Prince said. Same for my mtb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... I used to clean on the bike using a combo of rags, water, Dawn and WD-40 but, I picked up a Park Cyclone at a swap meet for $5 and now use it in conjunction with Goo Gone citrus solvent.

The only caveat with the Cyclone is, it can be messy... so use in an area where cleanup will be easy.

Mar 2004
    I just wiped it down with mineral spirits, rags and a toothbruhsh while on the bike. I then wiped it dry and lubed it with Mobil 1 oil diluted with mineral spirits.
    Do you get it spotless? There are still a few micro grains of sand here and there.

Adrenalina Italiana

I usually try and get off the bike before cleaning the chain

Really though, I do as the others and keep the chain on and run it through a rag a couple of timesand then drop some degreaser on it and do it again. I tend to run the lightnin' though so my chain usually doesn't require that much cleaning.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

Arrogant roadie.....

Both

Most of the time, I just wipe the outside of the chain off. Those "on the bike" cleaners are, IMHO, junk.

However, when the chain needs a real cleaning, I remove it, but it in an empthy 1-litre bottle, add a bit of citrus cleaner or mineral spirits (never, ever, ever Simple Green), swoosh it around a good bit, then rinse it 2 or 3 times with hot water, then dry it thouroughly before remounting.

On the bikes that use SRAM chains, the quick-link is great. I have a bike with a Shimano chain, which needs a replacement pin each time. I generally clean a chain 2 or 3 times before it's worn out.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Why not Simple Green? I thought that was fine for cleaning chains. Am I mistaken?

Arrogant roadie.....
    Yes, you are. It not only contains detergent, but it is too acidic for moving surfaces. It will etch the bearing surfaces of your chain.

Never, ever use simple green for any kind of bearing surfaces. Chains, bearings, races, etc. Also, keep it away from plastic.
    Last edited by Dave_Stohler; 04-12-2004 at 04:55 PM.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Feb 2004
    Here's what you do:
    Take the chain off the bike.
    Soak it overnight in gasoline. The grade doesn't matter.
    Put the chain back on the bike.
    Take a match, and light the chain. Spin the crank backward as it flames out.
    The residue left from the fire is better than any lube.
    Oh. Make sure to do this outdoors. With a hose nearby.

I meant to post this 11 day ago but forgot.
    Better Fred than dead ...

Nov 2002

I like purplepaul's suggestion...

I remove my chain, no so much 'cause I think I get the chain cleaner that way, but 'cause it also gives me an excuse to clean the chainrings, cassette, and pulleys.

Apr 2004
    The park chain cleaner does it for me,I then use a rag,then I lube it up with white lighting chain wax.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

On the bike

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    What Dinosaur and Mike Prince said.
    Ditto here, on the bike. I do it often enough that it's consistently almost clean.

~Al

RoadBikeReview Member

Off the bike

I have a SRAM chain with a power link quick release. I put it in a gallon milk jug full of hot water and dawn detergent and shake it for a minute. Then I blow it dry with compressed air and soak it in a bottle with some brake cleaner, blow dry it again, put it back on the bike and lube it with prolink.

Nov 2001
    Light it on fire!!! Are you freakin' crazy Mike?! If you light 'er up while riding then I'll be really impressed.

BTW, I hope all is well. I've just been watching the 2003 Tour on DVD and was trying to find the Custom Getaways RV on the Ramaz stage. We're there, but it's a blur.

On another note, do you have Gary's (the one from Santa Cruz) contact info? I wanted to get in touch with him as I'm planning a trip down to his neck of the woods this summer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

off

I usually just rub the chain down with a degreaser (usually gasoline) then lube it up with some triflow. But when I'm giving my bike a thorough cleaning I take it off. Before anything else I take off my chain and soak it in a little bowl of gasoline. I let it sit while I clean the rest of my bike. I put it back on after the soak and lube it up.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dshylko
    Light it on fire!!! Are you freakin' crazy Mike?! If you light 'er up while riding then I'll be really impressed.

BTW, I hope all is well. I've just been watching the 2003 Tour on DVD and was trying to find the Custom Getaways RV on the Ramaz stage. We're there, but it's a blur.

On another note, do you have Gary's (the one from Santa Cruz) contact info? I wanted to get in touch with him as I'm planning a trip down to his neck of the woods this summer.
    David! Send me your e-mail (use the link on my avatar; don't post it on the board) and I'll send you Gary's. I tried sending you an e-mail at your old address but it bounced back.

Mike
    Better Fred than dead ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    Yes, you are. It not only contains detergent, but it is too acidic for moving surfaces. It will etch the bearing surfaces of your chain.

Never, ever use simple green for any kind of bearing surfaces. Chains, bearings, races, etc. Also, keep it away from plastic.
    I've cleaned my chain with Simple Green many times, with no problems. In fact my LBS carries it in their cleaning rack, the foam version and spray version.

hi, I'm Larry

Both

Once a month or so I will pull the chain off and give it a good soaking in a citrus cleaner followed by a good rinse, drying with rags and then an hour later a home brew treatment.

Otherwise I use home brew about every other time out. If the roads were wet and/or if dirt and sand got on the chain then I will run it though the parks claner with citrus cleaner while on the bike. Then run it through again with rinse water and then dry and home brew.

I like a clean smooth running chain. I can feel and hear the difference if the chain is crudded up.

It's a Sledgehammer

Etch bearings?

Simple Green will etch bearings? Where did that come from? I have seen it used in precision manufacturing to remove oils from aircraft grade metals with no ill effects.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Chain goes on once and stays on til it dies.

1. wipe off crud with a rag

2. lube, one link at a time with air tool oil

3. wipe off chain rings, cassette cogs and der pulleys

4. brush the chain, top and bottom, and wipe it off.

5. every few rides run the chain through a clean rag.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Chain goes on once and stays on til it dies.

1. wipe off crud with a rag

2. lube, one link at a time with air tool oil

3. wipe off chain rings, cassette cogs and der pulleys

4. brush the chain, top and bottom, and wipe it off.

5. every few rides run the chain through a clean rag.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast