Does anyone have a homemade recipe for Assos cream?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jul 2008

Does anyone have a homemade recipe for Assos cream?

It's sad but I'm spending too much money on these. I used one bottle every three weeks or so. I like to apply "directly to the skin" before riding. It's becoming an expensive pre-ride ritual.

Feb 2005
    I'm a fan of the Ass-os cream as well. A guy at a local shop tells me Noxema works like a budget Assos creme, but I haven't the guts to try it out...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I heard a piece of steak will work.

I heart team Zissou!
    Quote Originally Posted by Campag12

It's sad but I'm spending too much money on these. I used one bottle every three weeks or so. I like to apply "directly to the skin" before riding. It's becoming an expensive pre-ride ritual.
    diaper rash cream is what many racers use.
    Biking round the world -- Where have I been with my bike?

banned
    Nov 2001
    I've been making my own cream for 2 years now. After experimenting w/ different combos, this is my favorite:

walmart or target version of eucerin creme (in the 16oz tub)
    2- 1oz tubes of bacitracin or triple antibiotic (again, walmart or target brand)
    2- 1oz tubes of hydrocortizone (
    1 container of BLUE GOO (found it at walmart- has menthol for the "tingle")
    1 container of petroleum jelly

I dont have actual measurements of what I use for 1 container-- This all goes into one of those ziplock disposable 32oz tupperware containers.

I use about 3/4 of the eucerin tub, all of the bacitracin and hydrocortizone and about 1/3 of a tub of the blue goo. I also add about 2 tablespoons of the petroleum jelly to add to the thickness. Stir and season to taste (just kidding).

I've found the eucerin cream tends to stay better than different lotions I've tried (cocoa butter, vaseline moisturizing lotion, etc) and makes a thicker creme. The nice thing is the above ingredients cost about as much as 1 little tub of assos cream, but makes much more (between 20-30oz) and the blue goo can be used 2 or 3 times before you need more..
    If you try this, you may want to start w/ less blue goo until you find your "tingle" tolerance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Udderly Smooth Udder Cream. 1/4 the price of chamois creme. (cause it's not spelled in a fancy European way)

http://www.uddercream.com/

banned
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by android
    Udderly Smooth Udder Cream. 1/4 the price of chamois creme. (cause it's not spelled in a fancy European way)

http://www.uddercream.com/

I've used the udderly smooth stuff as well. It works well, but I think the store brand eucerin stuff works better. The udderly smooth used to be a couple dollars cheaper.

grumpy old racer
    Quote Originally Posted by heliskyr
    I'm a fan of the Ass-os cream as well. A guy at a local shop tells me Noxema works like a budget Assos creme, but I haven't the guts to try it out...

I used Noxema for many years. Works great. Seemed to really help reduce saddle sores and soften natural chamois.

Shirtcocker

How long are your rides? I only use chamois creme when I'm doing rides of 75+ miles regularly. Other than that I don't really need it.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Big is relative
    I have used Assos and A&D ointment. The good thing about Assos and other chamois creme is that they wash out in the laundry. Petroleum based stuff may not come out completely.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Bag Balm - https://www.bagbalm.com/download/bikemag.pdf Bag Balm has been in use for over 100 years on pets, cows, horses, and people. It's basic ingredients are 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate 0.3% (natural antiseptic, disinfectant, and pesticide) in a petrolatum and lanolin base. It does not clog pores, and since I've started using it has never let me chafe or get ingrown hairs. Roughly $6 for 10 oz. Will last an entire spring/summer/fall season if used on self only, not also chamois.

Bonus - the tins are pretty cute and nifty for storing junk once cleaned.

Shania Twain uses it!

"When I've been flying a lot and my skin is really dry, I'll rub it over my face and on my hair and leave it there all day," said Twain.
    Last edited by lalahsghost; 08-30-2008 at 04:40 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I use hydrocortisone ointment, judiciously.

whc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    I use Udderly Smooth with a little Witch Hazel added. (Both from Walmart). The Witch Hazel provides some tingle and antiseptic benefits. I mix it in an empty Assos container. So far the homemade, very cheap, formula has worked just as well as the original.

Frog Whisperer
    mix up menthol and capsacin HP....................let me know if it works.........................

wait...NO.....I was kidding.....
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Do you really need it?

I know that lots of people swear by various saddle creams, but as a "non-user" I think it's appropriate to ask whether you actually need the stuff. I put in lots of miles, with a 100+ miler every week and have never found the need for any "aids." I do have some shorts that are not good for long distances, but beyond that, I wonder if some folks just do it because it's the thing to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I tried Biofreeze once before I ride. I couldn't actually ride that day, or the day after...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    I know that lots of people swear by various saddle creams, but as a "non-user" I think it's appropriate to ask whether you actually need the stuff. I put in lots of miles, with a 100+ miler every week and have never found the need for any "aids." I do have some shorts that are not good for long distances, but beyond that, I wonder if some folks just do it because it's the thing to do.

Might it be the case that the OP's skin differs from yours? Just askin'.

FWIW, I like Chamois Butter and Udderly Smooth. I find that the Udderly Smooth that comes in the small jar has a slightly thicker consistency than the tube, so I prefer the jar. Udderly Smooth is quite a bit cheaper too, so that's my normal go-to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Try mixing a few drops of tea tree oil into your usual (non-medicated) chamois cream. IIRC, that's one of the "magic" ingredients in Assos.

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Daily rides or commuting, no. Centuries or double centuries I will use chamois creme. When I was racing I would use it on time trials or crits when I would wear a skinsuit.
    Retired sailor

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004

Any ointment will work...

Quote Originally Posted by ecloebl
    I use hydrocortisone ointment, judiciously.

...simply because of the petroleum jelly.

My family Dr. recommends mixing a little antifungal (Lotrimin AF) cream/ointment with the cortisone anytime you are using it somewhere that does not free breath. According to him some types of fungus can feed on cortisone.
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

Oh hai there
    The cortisone actually weakens your cell membranes in a way that makes them more susceptible to fungal infections.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I spray some anti fungal on before most rides. No problems until I stop for a few days.

What up, dog?
    Quote Originally Posted by de.abeja
    The cortisone actually weakens your cell membranes in a way that makes them more susceptible to fungal infections.
    ...and you'll get booted form Le Tour for banned substances.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill
    Daily rides or commuting, no. Centuries or double centuries I will use chamois creme. When I was racing I would use it on time trials or crits when I would wear a skinsuit.
    same...I also use it when I do weeklong tours or when it's really hot out and I'm sweating more than normal.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Lantiseptic, best stuff I've used.

http://www.brucemedical.com/laskpr.html

It's not the most glamorous sounding stuff, but it works really well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast