Does anyone here use Peleton? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    My only negativity to Peloton is their incredibly pretentious ad campaign.
    Makes more sense when you understand it's a veblen good.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Makes more sense when you understand it's a veblen good.
    I think that is true to some degree and they seem to be doing well so other than putting up with some ribbing on the internet it hasn't hurt them. I say, if you can't beat them, join them. I plan to offer a $20,000 trainer and am in negotiations now with Gwyneth Paltow to be my spokesperson

gazing from the shadows
    I think that is true to some degree ...
    They raised their price on the same product a LOT after a few months on the market, and sales went up. The CEO has said that the higher price was seen as an indicator of quality by customers. So, true to the degree that it perfectly fits the definition of veblen goods.

The company bloomed with that strategy, everything they have done since (that I have noticed) has followed that path. Pricing, adverts with penthouses, etc. They have a fine product, imo, but they sell status. Same thing happens in other areas, like wine for example. Lots of $100 wines are no better than $30-50 wines, but since people have heard of them and their boss drinks it...

I'll stick with my trainer until I feel the need to impress my shallow friends who come over for cocktails in my penthouse.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Shane Miller weighed in on this recently. He's tapped into the pulse of home cycling training better than most. He thinks it's going to fail. Basically says no cyclist wants one of those things. We want bikes and trainers. Bikes ride on the road. Trainers can go with us for warm ups or on vacation or whatever. He sort of concluded by saying that this isn't for cyclists though most likely, not the target market at all. Says the target market is people with tons of cash that got addicted to spin class at their local fitness center that would like to have it in their home gym.
    ? He's just recycling stuff that been around since the late 80's (that when I first heard them but could be a lot older). Some is full of it was just like when it first surface and others, regurgitation. His notoriety is hitched to Zwift.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I donít have the bike but I use the app and I can share it with my daughter. Seems really good and she loves the workouts. IMO you donít need their bike or treadmill to get a really good workout.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I donít have the bike but I use the app and I can share it with my daughter. Seems really good and she loves the workouts. IMO you donít need their bike or treadmill to get a really good workout.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I was thinking, I got 6 bikes & thinking about getting 2 more. But the Peleton hasn't even crossed my mind. But then again, no penthouse. Not really thinking about either.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I was thinking, I got 6 bikes & thinking about getting 2 more. But the Peleton hasn't even crossed my mind. But then again, no penthouse. Not really thinking about either.
    It doesn't HAVE to go in a penthouse, a backup plan would be to put in at the beach cottage or in your solarium

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It doesn't HAVE to go in a penthouse, a backup plan would be to put in at the beach cottage or in your solarium
    I hear they look good in a Manhattan apartment too. As long as its at least the 30-th story with a view.

The best part is that you know 99% of them are destined to become clothes hangers in a year, or less. I don't care how much they cost, how many classes you can watch, or how beautiful the people who own them are -- it's still an indoor trainer -- and indoor trainers suck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Definitely not the cyclists target market. Part of the problem is the name. . It implies cycling "Peloton." But the dumb, but well off financially 40+ Milfs wouldn't know what an actual "peloton" actually is. LOL.
    Last edited by Notvintage; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:37 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    testing

wut?
    I didn't like their ad campaign, but this makes me hope the company dies a painful death: https://road.cc/content/news/253747-...g-word-peloton
    BTW, Peloton is now embroiled in a large lawsuit from the music industry. Just desserts!
    There I was...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12