Does anyone make a CO2 inflator that takes 12g unthreaded cartridges? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    The only way I would use a pump is if I was out of CO2 cartridges, and I normally carry 3 so it's not likely. Pumps are outdated technology, like tubes in tires and rim brakes.....
    Oh no you didnít!!! Haha.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    That's a good point too. I don't have the wind to find anything but bigger holes that would have been obvious anyway with mouth inflation. Those tiny wire holes that cause a slow leak not a rapid flat don't get exposed with just mouth inflation...
    Once you get air in the tube, via "mouth inflation," you just squeeze the tube and that increases pressure on the tube and exposes the hole.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Haven't you ever had a flat but you don't know where the puncture is? Do you want to just put in a new tube and hope for the best? Lining up the label to the valve stem only helps locate the tire spot once you've found where the tube was punctured.

That said, I carry CO2 and nothing else on my road bike and MTB. Can't beat cartridges for speed of getting back to riding. I normally carry three cartridges and that's only failed me one time. I have a Lezyne pump on my gravel bike. I do think that carrying a pump (even as a backup with cartridges) is the ultimate answer for self sufficiency and helping others.
    I carry 2 CO2s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    The answer is yes this one:

Genuine Innovations Comfort Grip C02 UltraFlate Bike Tire Inflator G2628

There are still some places selling them online.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    The answer is yes this one:

Genuine Innovations Comfort Grip C02 UltraFlate Bike Tire Inflator G2628

There are still some places selling them online.
    Care to provide a link? Everyplace I find they say not in stock.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Care to provide a link? Everyplace I find they say not in stock.
    I also use the G2628. Looks like they are getting hard to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Inn...YAAOSwN~Vd9RE~

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I carry 2 CO2s.
    I carry 1 CO3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    If I can handle riding a bike in certain weather I can't imaging standing being a problem. But whatever.

You're right about the extra time though, for the first flat. More flats than carts or malfunction and you're kinda screwed though, unlike with a pump.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jay Strongbow again.
    Too old to ride plastic

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    I also use the G2628. Looks like they are getting hard to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Inn...YAAOSwN~Vd9RE~
    Thanks. I found that and ordered two. Looks like CO2 dispensers that use 12 gram cartridges are soon going to be things of the past. Must be due to the wide tires people are running these days. I still ride 23's and a 12 gram gets it to around 80-90 lbs. A 16 gram is too much. I imagine is just right for a 25 or 28 size tire. I bought a couple Serfas 01-AP dispensers that take 12 gram cartridges. They kinda suck. Don't work as well as what I had, and you can't store the cartridge, upside down, inside the body. Hopefully the GI dispenser will be better. Sure wish I hadn't lost the one I had. I don't remember who made it, but I carried it around for years and it never let me down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Thanks. I found that and ordered two. Looks like CO2 dispensers that use 12 gram cartridges are soon going to be things of the past. Must be due to the wide tires people are running these days. I still ride 23's and a 12 gram gets it to around 80-90 lbs. A 16 gram is too much. I imagine is just right for a 25 or 28 size tire. I bought a couple Serfas 01-AP dispensers that take 12 gram cartridges. They kinda suck. Don't work as well as what I had, and you can't store the cartridge, upside down, inside the body. Hopefully the GI dispenser will be better. Sure wish I hadn't lost the one I had. I don't remember who made it, but I carried it around for years and it never let me down.
    I use 16 gram threaded carts on Conti 23s. Iíve never tested the psi in the field but on arriving home itís around 100. Of course that psi is gone the next morning. I use a Red Zeppelin. Nothing to it and it works perfectly. Controlled release and a little cozy to protect your hand. The head unit and cozy are really small and practical. I do carry a mini pump. I also carry a patch kit. Just in case items...

https://www.jensonusa.com/Planet-Bik...iABEgIc1fD_BwE
    Last edited by PBL450; 01-15-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    If I am not in a hurry I just use my mini pump that I store in my seat bag.
    If I try really hard I can get it to about 70 PSI.
    I have 23c tires on my single and 25c on our tandem.
    With the tandem I usually put in a good amount of air first with the mini pump and then top it off with a 12g cartridge. That way I am not killing myself with the mini pump and still get a good 100 PSI. Luckily its pretty rare that I get flats.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I appreciate all the advise. It did bring out a little of the mini pump vs. C)2 debate, which I guess is inevitable on RBR. For me, mini pumps aren't an option.

So I bought a couple Serfas 01-AP that take 12 gram cartridges. It works OK, but I'm not loving it. I have a couple Genuine Innovations Comfort Grip C02 UltraFlate Bike Tire Inflator G2628 on the way. I sure wish I hadn't lost the one I had been using for probably more than a decade.

I guess tubeless tires are another angle. I've long eschewed them for no good reason. Folks seem to like them. My wife commutes home with me every night. When I built her bike up, I unknowingly bought a set of custom wheels built on tubeless rims. It is a screaming PITA to get tires on and off these wheels. She's 5'6" and 120 lbs, and somehow manages to get flats a lot more than I do on the exact same tires. I sometimes think its some @sshole in her parking court letting the air out of her tire. So Monday night she calls me 'I've got a flat'. So I meet up with her and the rear tire is half inflated. We ride a while and I put CO2 in it. We ride a while longer and top it off at a bike shop along the way. Tuesday morning its flat -- but its raining so we drive to work. Tuesday night, I get to have fun fixing it. After 20 minutes of wrestling with it, I decide to go to my LBS and see what the deal is with tubeless tires. The mechanic I know there said he really likes them. So a couple hundred dollars later, I have Specialized 26mm tubeless tires. I gotta admit, I'm a little jealous. Then again, time will tell how well these things work out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12