Does the heel of your click-out shoe wear out before anything else?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

Does the heel of your click-out shoe wear out before anything else?

I am noticing a pattern with my Look cleat shoes, where the first thing to wear out is always the heel of my click out shoe (which is my left shoe). The right shoe is in much better shape.

Otherwise my shoes are in great shape, it's just that the left heel always seems to wear out before anything else.

Am I doing something wrong, or has anyone figured out a way to fix this short of buying a new pair of shoes?

In the image below, the left shoe isn't totally worn out, but I can see it's on it's way and if I'm doing something wrong now would be a great time to fix that.

20140927_132122.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    the rubber pads on the heel of the shoe that I put down at stops are definitely more worn than the other.

and by 'definitely more worn,' I mean they're completely gone.

certainly doesn't mean I'm planning on replacing the shoes. the rubber pads don't affect anything I do while riding.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Replace the pads or put some Shoe Goo over them if not replaceable. A traditional shoe repair shop could probably put small rubber heels on them.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by eniveld View Post
    I am noticing a pattern with my Look cleat shoes, where the first thing to wear out is always the heel of my click out shoe (which is my left shoe). The right shoe is in much better shape.

Otherwise my shoes are in great shape, it's just that the left heel always seems to wear out before anything else.

Am I doing something wrong, or has anyone figured out a way to fix this short of buying a new pair of shoes?

In the image below, the left shoe isn't totally worn out, but I can see it's on it's way and if I'm doing something wrong now would be a great time to fix that.

20140927_132122.jpg
    I have to say that you ask the most interesting, anal retentive, don't-really-matter type of questions I've seen in years. The heels wearing out...real time pressure monitoring...the effects of weed...will the thing in my helmet crack? Don't you have anything more important to worry about in your life? The cost of fresh strawberries? Will that tree fall on my house if it gets windy tonight?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I have to say that you ask the most interesting, anal retentive, don't-really-matter type of questions I've seen in years. The heels wearing out...real time pressure monitoring...the effects of weed...will the thing in my helmet crack? Don't you have anything more important to worry about in your life? The cost of fresh strawberries? Will that tree fall on my house if it gets windy tonight?
    I've always wanted to know if my handlebar plugs should be rotated, to even out the wear, where they touch my brick wall at the start of each ride, while I fire up my Garmin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

Re: Does the heel of your click-out shoe wear out before anything else?

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am learning here so if your anal retentive sensibilities are threatened please stop reading my posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get yourself a pair of Tri specific shoes, you know, the ones with one large Velcro strap that the Tri guys & gals leave locked in the pedals. Once you have the Tri shoes, you'll be able to easily remove your left foot from the shoe when stopping at lights and such. Then when the light changes you can easily slip your left foot back into the shoe , snug up the Velcro and be on your way. That should stop the left shoe from wearing out prematurely.

Problem with this is going to be the premature wear to your socks. But at least you can rotate your socks between feet, allowing them to prematurely wear evenly.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    You could actually use the brakes to stop the bike rather than putting the feet down Flintstones style!

RoadBikeReview Member
    shoe goo. works for so many things.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Or use Sidis and get replacement heel pads every now and again. ;)
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Learn to track stand, or come to a full stop before putting a foot down.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    .......& silicone caulking................

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I'm a DIY kind of guy, so I use shoe goo on my Sidis, too. Sometimes with a chunk of old tube glued in for extra bulk and cushioning.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    "Now and again" is about every 6 months for me. They should make them out of something harder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
    You could actually use the brakes to stop the bike rather than putting the feet down Flintstones style!
    ^^^This. I don't even put my heel down though I usually make contact with the cleat which of course is easily replaced

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Re: Does the heel of your click-out shoe wear out before anything else?

The issue can be alleviated and the lifetime of the shoe pair greatly improved by rotating your shoes. This levels out the wear between the shoes. Note that every time you swap your left and right shoe you will experience slight discomfort for a day or two. For this reason it is best to stick to a rotation period of one week at least, although as far as I know professional cyclists prefer doing it on a monthly basis.
    Et si tu tombes 7 fois
    Toujours se relever 8

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by QuattroCreep View Post
    Learn to track stand, or come to a full stop before putting a foot down.
    +2: come to a full stop before putting a foot down
    Aye, them's that die 'll be the lucky ones!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
    The issue can be alleviated and the lifetime of the shoe pair greatly improved by rotating your shoes. This levels out the wear between the shoes. Note that every time you swap your left and right shoe you will experience slight discomfort for a day or two. For this reason it is best to stick to a rotation period of one week at least, although as far as I know professional cyclists prefer doing it on a monthly basis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    this is of the top concern at our house. My 15 yr old loves strawberries. sometimes we have to choose, strawberries or the mortgage.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
    or don't buy Specialized shoes that notoriously don't have replaceable heals except for the highest price model. think Giro. Their mid price stuff has replaceable heals
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    or don't buy Specialized shoes that notoriously don't have replaceable heals except for the highest price model. think Giro. Their mid price stuff has replaceable heals
    Or you could go with those old Italian leather shoes that had no heal at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
    Or you could go with those old Italian leather shoes that had no heal at all.
    Better still, a pair of the old wood soled shoes. Then any good carpenter could repair them.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    If a heel could heal, it wouldn't be a problem.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP.. thats an easy fix. All kinds of shoe sole or heel wears out. I have a pair that doesnt wear out for 2 years now... becuase I dont use it. ;)

Anyway, just cut off the worn out rubber heels.. DIY.. cut some thick rubber, same shape from the original and glue them on the heel. viola!

But if you asked me.. if a pair have already been used up so much... I would always find a reason to buy a new pair. Sometimes you just get tired of the same old pair. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast