Does the plastic thing inside your helmet crack easily?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

Does the plastic thing inside your helmet crack easily?

I don't know what it's called, but you know that plastic harness bit inside the helmet that you can tighten down on the back? These plastic strips keep detaching or cracking on my helmets, and now I've been through three different helmets in 18 months. No crashes, but these flimsy plastic things just keep breaking off. Now I need another helmet.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a light weight, well ventilated helmet that does not break so easily?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I have NEVER broken one, even with crashing. How tight are you trying to make it? What kind of helmets have you broken? Where exactly does it break?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeWMass View Post
    I have NEVER broken one, even with crashing. How tight are you trying to make it? What kind of helmets have you broken? Where exactly does it break?
    The first two were Specialized S3 helmets, and I just cracked a cheaper Giro. On the Giro the plastic strip that goes from front to back cracked just as it enters the rear plastic loop. On the Specialized, the side plastic strip detached at the point were it attaches to the front of the helmet.

I've been in countless crashes too, cracked foam on helmets and so on, and in the crashes this plastic bit has never broken.

Stored indoors too. I must be doing something to break them, but I wish I knew what.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    You mean a Roc Loc 5? Look here:
    Giro Roc Loc 5 Retention System at BikeTiresDirect
    Much less expensive than buying a new helmet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    That's it! Thank you so much. Maybe I'm not the only one.

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    I've been in countless crashes too, cracked foam on helmets and so on, and in the crashes this plastic bit has never broken.
    Countless? I think you are doing something wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I broke the plastic retention mechanism on the last helmet I owned. It was about 6 years old at the time.

Maybe your sweat is caustic to that type of plastic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Maybe your sweat is caustic to that type of plastic.
    Not likely. The part is typically HDPE or polypropylene and those are not really affected by human sweat/body oils.

I'm guessing that the OP handles the helmet by the Roc-Loc straps rather than the helmet straps. I always grab the straps just where they come together under your ears (when the helmet is on your head). I let the helmet dangle and use the straps to spread the retention system parts and then I flip the helmet onto my head. This puts very little stress on the hard plastic parts. But if you're grabbing them and twisting to get the helmet on I can understand how you might break them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Not likely. The part is typically HDPE or polypropylene and those are not really affected by human sweat/body oils.

I'm guessing that the OP handles the helmet by the Roc-Loc straps rather than the helmet straps. I always grab the straps just where they come together under your ears (when the helmet is on your head). I let the helmet dangle and use the straps to spread the retention system parts and then I flip the helmet onto my head. This puts very little stress on the hard plastic parts. But if you're grabbing them and twisting to get the helmet on I can understand how you might break them.
    I suspect my problem is that I'm constantly popping my helmet on and off as I commute, and I usually rest it on my handle bars or over my seat. Then I throw my bike on a bike hook next to other bikes on a ferry or train where it jostles against other bikes and my helmet may get damaged there. Maybe I just need to start taking my helmet with me, but that's kind of a pain I'd like to avoid if I can help it.

But replacing that plastic bit is a nice solution - relatively cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nsfbr View Post
    Countless? I think you are doing something wrong.
    I must be doing something wrong I know. Knock on wood but I haven't had a big bike crash in about a year now.

My last big bike crash was in San Francisco about a year ago and I wrote about it here - totally freak accident, where another bicyclist crashed head on into me - 200% his fault and there was not a thing I could have done about it. We crashed head on each of us going about 20mph in the opposite direction.

Cracked the foam on my helmet on that one, but not the plastic bit.