Domane Isospeed Decoupler Fail - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    And I quote:

"The IsoSpeed mechanism is designed to last the lifetime of the bicycle without service. Do not lubricate it. Keep it clean with water and soft cloth. If the mechanism makes noise or exhibits lateral play, the design allows easy replacement of the mechanism. Take your bicycle to your retailer for service"

Pg 39: https://trek.scene7.com/is/content/T...ndum_en-US.pdf accessed via: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/manuals/

Bold emphasis mine. I'd pick a bone with them. Basically reads "don't mess with it until something is wrong with it--then we'll fix it". Which is exactly what the OP did, and Trek ain't doing.
    excellent post! the OP needs to return the frame to Trek with their own dannmmed Isospeed instructions taped securely to the top tube!

what a shggty company. i'm still ticked that they killed Klein though too.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    This may be the case w/ your shop but I can say w/o a doubt that they have been exactly the opposite w/ us and that started well before they bought our stores. I've told numerous customers that I'd start a warranty claim but I was 99% sure it would be denied for whatever reason and then Trek approved it.

I've seen LOTS of bearings corroded and stuck in frames and I've always managed to get them out. Bottom bracket, headset bearings that people have sweated on every day on the trainer. You try to remove them and the bearing comes apart leaving the outer race stuck in the frame. There is ALWAYS a way to get them out.
    this x2 - Trek seems a lot better on warranty at my shop and in my personal experience.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This may be the case w/ your shop but I can say w/o a doubt that they have been exactly the opposite w/ us and that started well before they bought our stores. I've told numerous customers that I'd start a warranty claim but I was 99% sure it would be denied for whatever reason and then Trek approved it.
    I cannot say I know what is actually going on behind the scenes. It appears that Trek is now demanding stores to carry 80% Trek for a shop to be able to call themselves a Trek Dealer and must carry 60% Trek for a shop to be able to sell Trek bikes at all or even to get support. I am guessing rather than Trek cutting off my shop at the waist for not complying, they are making things unpleasant for the owner to try and get him to comply or get out. Now let me just say that while I am not a big believer in conspiracy theories, something just smells bad here.

CX, I don't know the history of your shop, but am I right that before Trek bought the shop, it was already a 100% Trek/Bontrager shop?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got this reply from Trek....... and it seems like the OP has hit and run.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Domane Isospeed Decoupler Fail-trek-reply.jpg  

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I cannot say I know what is actually going on behind the scenes. It appears that Trek is now demanding stores to carry 80% Trek for a shop to be able to call themselves a Trek Dealer and must carry 60% Trek for a shop to be able to sell Trek bikes at all or even to get support. I am guessing rather than Trek cutting off my shop at the waist for not complying, they are making things unpleasant for the owner to try and get him to comply or get out. Now let me just say that while I am not a big believer in conspiracy theories, something just smells bad here.

CX, I don't know the history of your shop, but am I right that before Trek bought the shop, it was already a 100% Trek/Bontrager shop?
    No, we had a couple other brands of bikes. We can still carry different brands for certain things so we're not 100% Trek/Bontrager even though they own us. We had really good CS and warranty service for years before they bought us outright.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    "I cannot say I know what is actually going on behind the scenes. It appears that Trek is now demanding stores to carry 80% Trek for a shop to be able to call themselves a Trek Dealer and must carry 60% Trek for a shop to be able to sell Trek bikes at all or even to get support.'

I cannot expect that this is true for all shops. There must be a required dollar amount generated or something similar, to allow a shop to skip these percentages that need to be Trek.

A very large LBS locally - Brands in Wantagh, NY which has been in business 60 year or better, lists 19 different brands of bicycles such as Specialized, Cannondale, GT, Giant etc.... all major Trek competitors. I cannot expect that this LBS will meet those percentages of Trek vs. other brands sold. This shop in particular is so big that I might assume that it's in Treks interest to be represented here and that there is likely a different agreement in place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post

what a shggty company. i'm still ticked that they killed Klein though too.
    Don't forget what they did to Lemond.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    "I cannot say I know what is actually going on behind the scenes. It appears that Trek is now demanding stores to carry 80% Trek for a shop to be able to call themselves a Trek Dealer and must carry 60% Trek for a shop to be able to sell Trek bikes at all or even to get support.'

I cannot expect that this is true for all shops. There must be a required dollar amount generated or something similar, to allow a shop to skip these percentages that need to be Trek.

A very large LBS locally - Brands in Wantagh, NY which has been in business 60 year or better, lists 19 different brands of bicycles such as Specialized, Cannondale, GT, Giant etc.... all major Trek competitors. I cannot expect that this LBS will meet those percentages of Trek vs. other brands sold. This shop in particular is so big that I might assume that it's in Treks interest to be represented here and that there is likely a different agreement in place.
    My thought hearing this is that everything is negotiable. My shop is small, but very busy and popular, so they do quite a volume as far as repairs, but probably don't sell as many bikes as bigger shops.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Szlmdm View Post
    They submitted a warranty claim to Trek but it was denied as a lack of maintenance issue as opposed to a manufacturing defect. LBS says the options are order new frame (which will entail replacing the brakes as the design has changed and cost $1500) or buy a new bike.
    I've seen barely ridden Domane 5.2's on Craigslist for about $1,500... if I didn't already have one, I would've bought them! Anyway, from Trek's perspective, they have no idea what was poured on the Iso Decoupler and under "normal conditions", it doesn't seize-up. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but perhaps the water you wash your bike with or your sweat is unusually corrosive. A warranty certainly won't protect everyone from everything. I personally have had great success with Trek warranties from my LBS... they even replaced a mountain bike wheel that I specifically told them was damaged in an accident

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Do those things actually improve the ride, or just soften it up? If so, is that good or bad? Is the tradeoff worth it?
    I also have a Domane 5.2 and I'd say the ride between a regular road bike and a Domane is like being hit with a regular hammer versus a rubber mallet It doesn't turn every ride into a plush, pillowy dream, but certainly takes the edge off of a normal road bike. I love my Domane and would easily buy another one.

RoadBikeReview Member

Hey @Szlmdm, if you haven't had a chance to call into our warranty department, I would call 1 (800) 585-8735. Sometimes details from the shop's claim entry might not depict the issue where the warranty team can properly grasp the problem. We're always willing to chat about it on the phone, just get your claim number from the shop (if possible) so that the warranty team can quickly pull up the information!
    Last edited by Mitch@Trek; 01-09-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

I've seen LOTS of bearings corroded and stuck in frames and I've always managed to get them out. Bottom bracket, headset bearings that people have sweated on every day on the trainer. You try to remove them and the bearing comes apart leaving the outer race stuck in the frame. There is ALWAYS a way to get them out.
    Right? I've always got them out one way or another without damaging the frame. I will say that here in the humid south, I see a lot of really bad IsoSpeed assemblies.

Note to all IsoSpeed owners. Disregard that maintenance recommendation from Trek and have that thing checked out at least once a year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can the OP post up a pic of the decoupler in question?
    Jobs, not Mobs...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    have that thing checked out at least once a year.
    I do agree with this. It is very easy to pop off the cover without tools. Then you can visually check. If you ride your bike a lot, it's nice to have new bearings and it doesn't hurt to change them early!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Head tube angle alone does not dictate handling characteristics. Not even close.
    Now you have to explain why standard road bikes aren't coming out with 74-75 degree head tubes anymore. Wheel bases the same; seat tube angles the same; head tubes slackened toward "understeer." I think manufacturers are trying to avoid liability claims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey Mitch, good on you for reaching out to the OP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Hey Mitch, good on you for reaching out to the OP.
    My thought too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    UPDATE:
    Thanks to the many that offered helpful advice. I did take the reference page from the Service Manual back to the LBS. They contacted their regional rep from Trek and they have now agreed to replace the frame with a new one or apply the frame replacement price to a new purchase. The downside with the replacement frame is that by the time we replace brakes, seat post (both due to new design) and consumables such as cassette, chain, cables, etc. plus labor it will be $800. The upside is I will have pretty much a new bike! I am also exploring upgrading to a new disk version so I haven't yet made the decision but will close in on that soon. In the end, the LBS went back to bat for me and Trek did the right thing. Again, thanks for the advice provided.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks Mitch. It appears that we have it worked out. After further review Trek is going to replace the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Woohoo! So you'd get one of the new frames with the front and rear ISO decouplers? I'd do that for $800.

As for the disc brakes, make sure you price-out how much the brake levers cost... Ultegra brake levers with hydraulic brakes are $$$$. Not saying you shouldn't got that route, just make sure your budget can handle it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Szlmdm View Post
    Thanks Mitch. It appears that we have it worked out. After further review Trek is going to replace the frame.
    I'm happy to hear it worked out! There is a great group of people on these forums, so good on everyone for providing assistance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    You are going to love the new ride. I went with disc and They are great. The ride with wide tires is awesome. Disc brakes cost more to maintain tho

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Don't have a pic and the frame is on its way back to Trek for analysis. On my 2015 version of the Domane the Isospeed decoupler is on the top tube about an inch from the seat post. You can see pics in the Trek service manual.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member

Exclamation

Too bad they didn't recall this, they've recalled the Future Shock
    Specialized recalls Future Shock steerer tube collar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek
    According to Specialized, the steerer tube collar on these Future Shock-equipped bikes is at risk of "stress corrosion cracking", which could lead to a sudden loss of steering control.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    Too bad they didn't recall this
    You want Trek to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a recall because one bike had an issue?
    Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 01-11-2019 at 07:09 AM.

Corey213
    Szlmdm, post a picture of your new bike when you get it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast