Domane Isospeed Decoupler Fail - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    .je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    You want Trek to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a recall because one bike had an issue?
    me? I don't care it's not my bike
    Trek? There's a precedent for exactly this sort of design flaw, so they should consider treating this and any other customers' complaint properly, before the need for another public recall or suit shows up.
    Otherwise I'm just typing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    me? I don't care it's not my bike
    Trek? There's a precedent for exactly this sort of design flaw, so they should consider treating this and any other customers' complaint properly, before the need for another public recall or suit shows up.
    Otherwise I'm just typing.
    An issue with possible failures that cause loss of steering tend to be a lot more serious than one that reduces your ass comfort to that of riding one of the various brands that don't have an iso speed decoupler. This particular issue doesn't seem common or even serious in terms of rider safety and as such it would be a bad reason to start a recall for. If it was something happening on a large number of bikes or that could result in serious injury or death then yeah, start that recall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019
    I have a 2015 Domane 5.9, nearly 4 yr old now with 21,000 miles. I bought it because my 1999 Trek 5200 has performed almost flawlessly for about 38,000 miles. My 2015 has been kept in a humidity controlled environment for its entire life and obsessively kept clean, although not routinely brought into a shop. I recently took it into the nearby Trek shop and was told that the corrosion of the isospeed assembly was so severe they could not remove the old isospeed parts to replace them. The recommendation was to have them strip all the components off and send the frame to Trek to try to remove the pieces. If Trek broke the frame they would not be responsible and would only give me 20% off a new frame, which they would do even if I told them my bike fell off the car and got run over! After I submitted a scathing on-line review of the performance of Trek and the shop, it was suggested that I bring the bike to the other Trek shop in town, where they said they had dealt with the outer bearing race being corroded and stuck in the frame. They used a Dremel tool to cut it out a piece at a time. They were successful. The shop did not charge for their labor and submitted a claim to Trek for the replacement parts, quoting the Trek manual (pg 39...thanks for posting that critical piece of info!) which effectively said don't lubricate the isospeed.

My conclusion: Trek screwed up in several ways...poor choice of materials for the isospeed bearings, ridiculous advice saying there's no need to maintain the isospeed, irresponsible stewardship by recognizing that the corrosion issue exists but not notifying customers to bring the bike in for inspection to prevent extreme consequences. Kudos to the 2nd Trek shop who did handle the situation professionally and succeeded in resolving the problem.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinMtP View Post
    I have a 2015 Domane 5.9, nearly 4 yr old now with 21,000 miles. I bought it because my 1999 Trek 5200 has performed almost flawlessly for about 38,000 miles. My 2015 has been kept in a humidity controlled environment for its entire life and obsessively kept clean, although not routinely brought into a shop. I recently took it into the nearby Trek shop and was told that the corrosion of the isospeed assembly was so severe they could not remove the old isospeed parts to replace them. The recommendation was to have them strip all the components off and send the frame to Trek to try to remove the pieces. If Trek broke the frame they would not be responsible and would only give me 20% off a new frame, which they would do even if I told them my bike fell off the car and got run over! After I submitted a scathing on-line review of the performance of Trek and the shop, it was suggested that I bring the bike to the other Trek shop in town, where they said they had dealt with the outer bearing race being corroded and stuck in the frame. They used a Dremel tool to cut it out a piece at a time. They were successful. The shop did not charge for their labor and submitted a claim to Trek for the replacement parts, quoting the Trek manual (pg 39...thanks for posting that critical piece of info!) which effectively said don't lubricate the isospeed.

My conclusion: Trek screwed up in several ways...poor choice of materials for the isospeed bearings, ridiculous advice saying there's no need to maintain the isospeed, irresponsible stewardship by recognizing that the corrosion issue exists but not notifying customers to bring the bike in for inspection to prevent extreme consequences. Kudos to the 2nd Trek shop who did handle the situation professionally and succeeded in resolving the problem.
    Another example of Trek Fail.
    2nd Shop +1.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019
    I thought I'd mention a problem I currently have with my Domane SLR7. I took it for a service and they found that the hole in the seatpost where the Isospeed pivot fits had worn and was oval. The shop mechanic (a Trek only dealer) tells me he's never seen this before and as Trek don't supply just the seatpost he said I might need a new frame. Fortunately another SLR had come in at the same time with a broken chainstay so they have fitted the seatpost from that - at no cost.
    Although I'm happy with the outcome, I think it should have been a new frame under warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So, I have purchased 2 Trek bikes. My mtb and my daughter’s commuter. I have been very happy with my local Trek dealer and both bikes. I have not had a warranty issue. This thread makes me less, not more, comfortable about working with the company. I have confidence in my local shop, but this post gives me pause. Do I need to blow up on social media to get my warranty honored? I’m thinking I may have made my last Trek purchase. Go ahead and be Specialized. Just go without me.
    Last edited by PBL450; 05-24-2019 at 03:54 AM.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbieuk View Post
    I thought I'd mention a problem I currently have with my Domane SLR7. I took it for a service and they found that the hole in the seatpost where the Isospeed pivot fits had worn and was oval. The shop mechanic (a Trek only dealer) tells me he's never seen this before and as Trek don't supply just the seatpost he said I might need a new frame. Fortunately another SLR had come in at the same time with a broken chainstay so they have fitted the seatpost from that - at no cost.
    Although I'm happy with the outcome, I think it should have been a new frame under warranty.
    Okay, this is a very misleading post. The IsoSpeed pivot is not in the seat post at all - it is in the seat tube, which cannot be replaced as it is an integral part of the frame. You had a problem with the seat mast cap, which has nothing to do with the IsoSpeed design as it is also used on the Emonda. There is no way that replacing a seat mast cap could "fix" an ovalized pivot hole in the seat tube.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    So, I have purchased 2 Trek bikes. My mtb and my daughter’s commuter. I have been very happy with my local Trek dealer and both bikes. I have not had a warranty issue. This thread makes me less, not more, comfortable about working with the company. I have confidence in my local shop, but this post gives me pause. Do I need to blow up on social media to get my warranty honored? I’m thinking I may have made my last Trek purchase. Go ahead and be Specialized. Just go without me.
    Absolutely not the case - you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get help from us ever. We have a great warranty team in place that is always an email or phone call away for those who prefer to speak with them and they back our retail network by offering their full support. We try to make a warranty claim as painless as possible without having to jump through hoops. All you ever need to do is bring your bike into your local Trek dealer and they will take it from there. If you ever had questions regarding a claim, our team would be happy to chat!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 06-03-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbieuk View Post

Happy to hear that your bike was able to get fixed properly! In some cases with warranty, we do look at a replacement frame if needed, but luckily that part was available to give you the quickest possible turnaround time it seems.
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123