Don Lamson Leaves D2 Shoe
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    435

    Don Lamson Leaves D2 Shoe

    Don Lamson Leaves D2 Shoe to Start New Premium Cycling Footwear Company.

    Santa Paula, California March 19, 2018. D2Shoe founder and renown cycling shoe designer Don Lamson has left D2Shoe to start a new premium cycling shoe company. Don has been designing and building custom cycling shoes for more than 35 years. His premium cycling shoes have been worn by professional cyclists, olympians and national champions. After being unable to reach agreement with his business partner about the direction D2Shoe would take going forward, Don sold his interest in the company to his partner, who will attempt to operate D2 without Don. Don will continue to build premium custom cycling shoes and his new company, Lamson Cycling Shoes, will become operational over the upcoming months. The website for Lamson Cycling Shoes is at https://donlamson.com, and will be updated regularly with information about the new company and its new cycling footwear designs. Don can be contacted through the website with any questions.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
    Don Lamson Leaves D2 Shoe to Start New Premium Cycling Footwear Company.

    Santa Paula, California March 19, 2018. D2Shoe founder and renown cycling shoe designer Don Lamson has left D2Shoe to start a new premium cycling shoe company. Don has been designing and building custom cycling shoes for more than 35 years. His premium cycling shoes have been worn by professional cyclists, olympians and national champions. After being unable to reach agreement with his business partner about the direction D2Shoe would take going forward, Don sold his interest in the company to his partner, who will attempt to operate D2 without Don. Don will continue to build premium custom cycling shoes and his new company, Lamson Cycling Shoes, will become operational over the upcoming months. The website for Lamson Cycling Shoes is at https://donlamson.com, and will be updated regularly with information about the new company and its new cycling footwear designs. Don can be contacted through the website with any questions.
    No wonder they havent responded to any emails in tghe last 3 weeks!

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    906
    How did this get resolved? I'm looking to have some adjustments done to D2s I bought previously but I don't know whether it would be worth it with the new business model.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones View Post
    How did this get resolved? I'm looking to have some adjustments done to D2s I bought previously but I don't know whether it would be worth it with the new business model.
    Don separated from D2 and is building shoes outside of Tucson, AZ. https://lamsoncycling.com/. If D2 cant help you, maybe you should call him?

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by TriBritInTX View Post
    No wonder they havent responded to any emails in tghe last 3 weeks!
    Don has always been notoriously bad about communicating with customers and meeting promised delivery (unless you happen to be a World Tour professional I assume). Always some material or other delay; never his fault. IME the best craftsmen are often the worst businessmen. If you want or need his shoes, be prepared for long delays and poor/infrequent communication. There are SO many good shoes in the market these days though that Id have to have some pretty messed up feet to put up with Don.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Don has always been notoriously bad about communicating with customers and meeting promised delivery (unless you happen to be a World Tour professional I assume). Always some material or other delay; never his fault. IME the best craftsmen are often the worst businessmen. If you want or need his shoes, be prepared for long delays and poor/infrequent communication. There are SO many good shoes in the market these days though that Id have to have some pretty messed up feet to put up with Don.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    First, I'm sorry that you didn't have a great experience with my old company.
    This is an extremely difficult business. Custom shoes are arguably much harder than custom frames. Which is why there are hundreds of custom frame builders and only a handful of custom shoe builders.
    The schedule can and does change every week due to the amount of shoes coming back for adjustments, the degree of difficulty of some of the orders; availability of supplies. Since the the footwear industry has moved out of the USA there is no infrastructure. Suppliers are extremely limited and equipment is also very hard to find. So if my supplier of microfiber leather is out then so am I.
    Another issue is that the mentality of many customers now is that they want it instantly. Custom is rarely if ever "instant". It takes a lot of time to make custom shoes. Often I would try to update customers about their order and they would not listen. First I would tell them that the backlog was, say, about three months but it could be longer. They would call right at 3 months and ask where their shoes were. " You promised that I would have my shoes in 3 months" I would say that I would try to ship their shoes next Wednesday. Then next Thursday they would call and ask where their shoes were; "you promised that I would have my shoes by Wednesday" Back at d2 I also had partners that would give out misinformation.
    Then of course I am only human. I screw up at times. I make mistakes. The other problem is that I am the ultimate optimist. I always gave customers information based on the best case scenario. That was a big problem that I have corrected with this new company.
    As far as putting sponsored athletes in front of paying customers; that rarely if ever happened.
    I admit that I was not the best at communication back at d2. However I have set this new company up differently to allow me to do that part of the business better.
    I ask that you give my new company a chance. You won't be disappointed. the shoes are way better than anything that I have done in the past. The communication is also far better than before.
    Right now my my backlog is about a month. No really!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 05:48 PM
  2. Man leaves wife at gas station
    By vol245 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 08:45 PM
  3. All the leaves are brown-Ride Report
    By MB1 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 05:57 PM
  4. T-Mobile blunder leaves Jan hanging on the line
    By mohair_chair in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 05:44 PM
  5. T-Mobile blunder leaves Jan hanging on the line
    By mohair_chair in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 07:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.