Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Vehicular manslaughter pure and simple. That said, I've heard that Florida is a dangerous place for road cycling in general. Tons of unlicensed morons driving around.
    FL has a high proportion of people with DWI convictions - about 800,000 people. And that does not include those who regularly drive under the influence and have never been caught.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Rub it............
    It's sad to hear about what happened. Not placing blame anywhere specific, but cyclists can do more to be seen.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/abcs_of_awareness/
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Locally, a few years ago, a cyclist was struck with the driver claiming "sun blindness" which is an oddity to me.
    I hope the prosecuting attorney shreds the driver to pieces with this claim. If you consider the direction of travel, the time of day, and where the sun was in the sky, there isn't a chance in Hell she was blinded.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JW Fas View Post
    I hope the prosecuting attorney shreds the driver to pieces with this claim. If you consider the direction of travel, the time of day, and where the sun was in the sky, there isn't a chance in Hell she was blinded.

Real world discriptor: There is no way that a reasonably responsible driver could or would not have seen the cyclists in time to avoid.

Legal discriptor: The defendant has testified under oath that she (with no other witnesses in the car to dispute) was blinded by the sun and did not see the cyclists in time to avoid.

Recent personal events have made me aware that things are not nearly as black and white as the real world suggests.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Vehicular manslaughter pure and simple. That said, I've heard that Florida is a dangerous place for road cycling in general. Tons of unlicensed morons driving around.
    "On a per capita basis, Florida recorded an annual average of about 5.7 cyclist deaths per million residents, by far the most of any state."

Deadliest States For Cyclists: Per Capita Fatality Rates

Also:

"Bicyclists are far more likely to be killed in Florida than any other state, and it dominates the rankings of most dangerous cities for cyclists, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.

The per-capita cyclist death rate was almost 60 percent higher than the next closest state."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opin...925-story.html

I know what state I'm not riding in, in the near future.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean2 View Post
    "On a per capita basis, Florida recorded an annual average of about 5.7 cyclist deaths per million residents, by far the most of any state."

Deadliest States For Cyclists: Per Capita Fatality Rates

Also:

"Bicyclists are far more likely to be killed in Florida than any other state, and it dominates the rankings of most dangerous cities for cyclists, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.

The per-capita cyclist death rate was almost 60 percent higher than the next closest state."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opin...925-story.html

I know what state I'm not riding in, in the near future.
    I'm really surprised NJ didn't make the "dirty dozon". There are lots of wackos here.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12