Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

driver says she was distracted but can't say by what

RoadBikeReview Member
    Probably texting or other cell phone while driving activity.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Probably texting or other cell phone while driving activity.
    that seemed likely to me. i was being rhetorical. guess the sarcasm didn't come across.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Locally, a few years ago, a cyclist was struck with the driver claiming "sun blindness" which is an oddity to me.

If such is possible then it suggests "when blinded by sunlight, just keep going and hope for the best" like folks who won't let blinding precip slow them down.

Condolences to all involved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Not in any manner blaming any of the bikers, but it would be interesting to know how many of them had working tail lights.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Locally, a few years ago, a cyclist was struck with the driver claiming "sun blindness" which is an oddity to me.

If such is possible then it suggests "when blinded by sunlight, just keep going and hope for the best" like folks who won't let blinding precip slow them down.

Condolences to all involved.
    hope for the best, expect the worst. -mel brooks 12 chairs

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom54 View Post
    Not in any manner blaming any of the bikers, but it would be interesting to know how many of them had working tail lights.
    It would also be interesting to know how many of them had an employer who matched their 401k contributions...but it would be equally non-germane to this situation.

banned
    Nov 2009
    I overheard someone say Facebook is the new cigarette.

Took me awhile to wrap my head around all the aspects of the comparison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    It would also be interesting to know how many of them had an employer who matched their 401k contributions...but it would be equally non-germane to this situation.
    That is a load of BS. A blinking tail light has a drastic effect on getting a driver's attention in all conditions. If the driver really was blinded by the sun a blinking red light could have easily gotten her attention to be cautious and realize something was there. If the driver was looking down at her phone a blinking light could have been picked up by her peripheral vision to get her attention.

banned
    Nov 2009
    I’ve always thought of a blinking tail light as a fixation target for drunk drivers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    That is a load of BS. A blinking tail light has a drastic effect on getting a driver's attention in all conditions. If the driver really was blinded by the sun a blinking red light could have easily gotten her attention to be cautious and realize something was there. If the driver was looking down at her phone a blinking light could have been picked up by her peripheral vision to get her attention.
    Might be better to tell the driver not to try and text and drive. So how much liability are you assigning to the cyclists then?
    If you can't see 14 people on cycles then a flashing light isn't going to mater one iota.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is a load of BS. A blinking tail light has a drastic effect on getting a driver's attention in all conditions.
    Flawed.

At best, people who might respond to a survey on the question or add to statistics because of some incident, might say that a blinkie makes a difference but it does not account for drivers who, while not hitting anyone, blew by them without noticing them.

Psychological studies might indicate that most people "see what they want to see". Even a bright blinkie could be perceived as something much further away and moving at the same speed as the observer (changes in aspect ratio are generally needed to judge speed and distance). The human brain does not record input verbatum.

I would say that lights "should" increase visability, but brain chemistry wants to kick my ass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I’ve always thought of a blinking tail light as a fixation target for drunk drivers.
    This has long since been debunked.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I overheard someone say Facebook is the new cigarette.
    I have a couple of friends who can prove this too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    KIWISIMON posted "So how much liability are you assigning to the cyclists then?"

Did you read my post, which states:

"Not in any manner blaming any of the bikers, but it would be interesting to know how many of them had working tail lights."

Is it not apparent I am assigning ZERO liability to the cyclists?

banned
    Nov 2009
    KIWISIMON posted "So how much liability are you assigning to the cyclists then?"

"Not in any manner blaming any of the bikers, but it would be interesting to know how many of them had working tail lights."

#1 use the quote feature

#2 What could you possibly glean from knowing?

#3 Do you think some kind of study could use this info?

#4 What if they were all wearing hi-vis kits?

#5 ps. They're called "cyclists" not bikers.

#6 Show some respect for kiwismom for christs sake.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is a load of BS. A blinking tail light has a drastic effect on getting a driver's attention in all conditions.
    You need to take you’re medication for it to work. I’m telling your mommy you’ve been on the computer and not doing your homework.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I’m just guessing; is Tom’s IQ 54? If so, that makes sense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010

When someone says "but" it's usually safe to ignore everything they've said in the sentence up until then. The word "but" is used to contrast something with what has been previously said.

Your victim blaming contrasted with you saying you weren't going to blame the victim.

Words mean things. Use them correctly. Stop victim blaming.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWISIMON
    So how much liability are you assigning to the cyclists then?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom54

Your but after the first clause kinda of negated it.--------->> I'm not a racist but........racist shite......
    happens more than you'd think.

I pushed back pretty firmly as I read it as victim blaming. So many people think helmets and flashing lights are a panacea to reduce deaths and injuries but if a driver is distracted they won't see anything and at speed a helmet is unlikely to help. That this particular driver had been clocked at nearly twice the legal speed limit doesn't help the suspicion that she a a crap driver and is likely lying about the cause of the accident.

#6 Show some respect for kiwismom for christs sake.
    I don't think he was crossing any lines but thanks for caring. love you too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    So a few things:

1) The driver has a history of speeding.

2) The driver says she was distracted, but can't say by what.

3) It was early morning on a strip of road known for sun glare.

4) The cyclists were riding double file and taking up the entire lane.

These four items together contributed to this unfortunate fatal outcome. If you took any one of these out of the equation, this tragedy proably would not have happened.

The driver hit the outside column of cyclists.

If we as cyclists want to ride safely on a road like this at this time of day, there is only one item on this list we can change.

That's all.

banned
    Nov 2009
    When I start riding again it’s going to be mostly gravel bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow... just wow.

Hopefully, this will ground some of you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    there needs to be a concerted nationwide effort to promote safety for cyclists on the road
    - it needs to be promoted on DMV test
    - it needs to be promoted with street signs
    - it needs to be promoted on TV ads

public campaign programs such as "MADD" and "Buckle up" have proven to be quite effective in saving lives. There be such an effort for cycling too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Vehicular manslaughter pure and simple. That said, I've heard that Florida is a dangerous place for road cycling in general. Tons of unlicensed morons driving around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast