Dual Sided Entry Or Four Sided Entry?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Dual Sided Entry Or Four Sided Entry?

Hello fellow self inflicting pain cyclist!

I am seeking advice on whether to get a dual or four sided pedal system on my road bike. I am currently using the Speedplay Zero pedals and are very disappointed on the engagement and disengagement. Very very hard and sometimes causes knee pain.

I need you guy's opinion on Bebop and Egg Beater. Can I even use Egg Beater of road shoes? I know Bebop has a road conversion for the shoe.

Thank You!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    My brother uses Egg Beaters with road shoes, no problems. I'm not a huge fan of the feel, but you might be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    You might have other issues regarding pain. Are you saying that twisting your foot to un-attach is causing pain? I don't think I could blame the pedal for that. I had Frog pedals (SpeedPlay brand) and all you did was twist outward and lift your foot. For a while I had some knee pain and at the time I attributed it to not enough float in the pedal (which curiously enough, Speed Play seems to excel in that category) but later found out that the issue was caused by fit, or lack there of... You might have a shop look at the pedals if you haven't done so already
    Quote Originally Posted by supraholic

I am seeking advice on whether to get a dual or four sided pedal system on my road bike. I am currently using the Speedplay Zero pedals and are very disappointed on the engagement and disengagement. Very very hard and sometimes causes knee pain.

I need you guy's opinion on Bebop and Egg Beater. Can I even use Egg Beater of road shoes? I know Bebop has a road conversion for the shoe.

Thank You!

turtle killer.
    Something is not right with the setup somehow. Mine are as easy to clip in/out as the shimano's on my mtb.. and the eggbeaters they replaced.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm a fan of eggies, but with MTB shoes. I use them for everyday commuting and have used them on long trips too. It seems to me that the ridges down the sides of the soles help provide support with the pedal. Not sure that road shoes would work as well. And of course, I can walk normally in these. The Mavic MTB shoes I have with cleats are lighter than my DMT road shoes with road cleats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by supraholic

Thank You!
    I bought a pair of Bebops in April. They were more secure than SPDs, more stable, easier to get out but requiring more rotation, and hang out of the shoe farther forward so they're only marginally walkable on mountain bike shoes. I'm not sure about cleat life though - with 2000-2500 miles on the cleats the one I unclip the most just got finicky and started feeling like it was clipped in when it's not.