SHIMANO DURA-ACE

site is live.

Auto shifting is here peeps!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aruyt View Post
    Auto shifting is here peeps!
    There's no auto shifting.

I believe you're referring to Synchronized Shift. Which isn't auto shifting.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    There's no auto shifting.

I believe you're referring to Synchronized Shift. Which isn't auto shifting.
    Well, "auto shifting" is a bit hyperbolic, but it does automatically shift with RD control only, to maximize chain lines. So yes, it's not fully auto, but it will automatically shift in certain conditions. I'm reading the review on CyclingTips right now, it's very informative.

RoadBikeReview Member
    not much change really.

wires? ewwwww eTap is all over this

no carbon crank arms yet either.

yet .. still it's great stuff that the majority of pros use, fwiw

banned
    Nov 2009
    I don't want my front derailleur shifting autonomously, if that's what this is about!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I don't want my front derailleur shifting autonomously, if that's what this is about!
    ha why not for trim though? I think they mean it is for trimming, not shifting chainrings?

been a long time since we have had proper 'trim' on the Front derailleur. I mean friction-shift front derailleur is the last system to allow that. So if the fr der electronics can do it for ya .. why not let it do so?

even better would be a customisable sequential shift program, so you wouldn't ever need to touch the fr der shifter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    Well you can turn it off.

I think the point is if you can program your L/R shifters/buttons to shift RD only, then the FD will shift accordingly. This would definitely be a "try it first" thing, to make sure you like it and can get used to it, but if you can learn its pattern, it could be useful.

I'm waiting for full Shimano wireless with auto shifting based on power/cadence, but that's still a pipe dream.

The improvements stated for the mechanical FD and RD alone, has me interested in this set. Depending on pricing, I may upgrade to the mech version and then wait a few years until they have their own wireless system.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    In my view the number one thing Shimano needed to get right was rear deraliuer cable longevity. On both 6800 and 9000 I have not been able to get more than about 2,000 miles before the cable fails. Grant it I shift often but this is inexcusable. I dont' see any reference to a redesign that deals with this.

Seat's not level
    The shimano on my cross bike autoshifted all the time... that's why there is now SRAM on the bike . :-)
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    been a long time since we have had proper 'trim' on the Front derailleur. I mean friction-shift front derailleur is the last system to allow that.
    My 10 and 11 speed cable-operated Campy Chorus front derailleurs offer a reasonable amount of trim. Yeah, maybe I can't adjust them quite as finely as I can with my old friction shift derailleur bicycle but...
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Neophyte
    This is the best news I've heard all day... means 9000 gets cheap!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    That crank is Fugly

banned
    Nov 2009
    I like trim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    not much change really.

wires? ewwwww eTap is all over this

no carbon crank arms yet either.

yet .. still it's great stuff that the majority of pros use, fwiw
    There is some feedback about lag when shifting so I'll take wires over that any day, and cranks are one of the few places I don't want carbon but that might be residual paranoia from years back.

As far as that group goes, I think it's damn sexy, and I've always found their stuff to just plain work.
    Of course it's out of my price range right now but maybe when telepathic shifting is released this 9100 group will be more affordable.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    The trim feature works well on my 9000. On my 6700 The need for trim was excessive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like trim.
    LOL. Hilarious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Brakes are a fail. They already had the best and stiffest and now they tack on 40 grams. Don't get it. Hope they fixed the RD issue where it eats cables like Tic-Tacs.
    No wireless is a fail too IMO. If you're still going to be routing cables may as well stay on mechanical unless you're building a TT bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    As far as that group goes, I think it's damn sexy, and I've always found their stuff to just plain work..
    I can only agree Shimano makes some fanatically precise and solid mechanical shifting these days. And I also like to save a few bucks, get DA quality shifting ... in Ultegra11 group price point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    It sounds like while SRAM ,basically was interested in making a wireless group set, Shimano was interested in taking their existing units to the next level while ignoring the wireless issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Where are you getting auto-shifting from? It doesn't auto-shift.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    In my view the number one thing Shimano needed to get right was rear deraliuer cable longevity. On both 6800 and 9000 I have not been able to get more than about 2,000 miles before the cable fails. Grant it I shift often but this is inexcusable. I dont' see any reference to a redesign that deals with this.
    I agree with this. This is actually quite an issue. I'm going through multiple cables a season.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Brakes are a fail. They already had the best and stiffest and now they tack on 40 grams.
    Where do you get this from? 9000 was 302g. 9100 is 307g. They tacked on 5g.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    I agree with this. This is actually quite an issue. I'm going through multiple cables a season.
    I was moments away from a cable failing on my trip to Ventoux last week. I was just lucky that my mechanic/host noticed it the day before and replaced my cable in time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Here is a pretty good overview from GCN.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    MSRP's if anyone wanted to know.

price.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast