E-Bikes
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

E-Bikes

Any e-bike owners here? I'm interested in recommendations from those with actual experience.

Hey Moderators - how about an e-bike subforum?
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You mean a moped forum?

Rub it............
    OP, what kind of riding are you looking to do? I work at a shop that sells E-bikes.

And to rideit - it's what ever gets someone on a bike. I know when I get older and have trouble riding a regular bike, an e-bike would bring enjoyment back to me.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You mean a moped forum?
    No. I mean a forum where people can discuss e-bikes in a civilized manner without snarky comments.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    ... when I get older and have trouble riding a regular bike, an e-bike would bring enjoyment back to me.
    ^^^ this ^^^

Russian Troll Farmer
    Yeah, I'm getting older, and I hate to admit but I've looked at some of those BB conversions. It's the weight of the battery pack that keeps me from actually trying one; I'd hate to have to drag that all the way home after it's depleted, miles and miles from home!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Relax people, I own one (for commuting) I just assume people are making fun of me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I just assume people are making fun of me.
    They are

In the end, it's the paranoid that will survive
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    What do you have? What do you like & dislike (besides people making fun of you)? Pros & cons?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I'm thinking of getting a MBike one, but they say the forest service says can't ride on the trails.... we will see. I guess if they allow e-bikes they may have to allow my kawa! Yea baby!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Seconded

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a MBike one, but they say the forest service says can't ride on the trails.... we will see. I guess if they allow e-bikes they may have to allow my kawa! Yea baby!
    National forest mountain bike trails prohibit "motorized vehicles" on trails. Ebikes fit in that category... 'cause you know... like it not... they're motorcycles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    National forest mountain bike trails prohibit "motorized vehicles" on trails. Ebikes fit in that category... 'cause you know... like it not... they're motorcycles.
    Time and money will change that.

E transport tech will continue to improve and become more a fabric of everyday life than gas power is today and such will follow us... everywhere. A compromise will involve output, speed, range and/or a combo. Remember, there was a time when there were no legal MTB trails in many (public) locales.

a real member's member
    neat idea. it would be like this thread, but without the responses.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Time and money will change that.

E transport tech will continue to improve and become more a fabric of everyday life than gas power is today and such will follow us... everywhere. A compromise will involve output, speed, range and/or a combo. Remember, there was a time when there were no legal MTB trails in many (public) locales.
    There also was a time when there were no illegal mountain bike trails.
    Think long and hard about that one for a minute or two, and you will see the relevance.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    You're really in a trollish mood now, aren't you.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Adorable Furry Hombre
    No. I mean a forum where people can discuss e-bikes in a civilized manner without snarky comments.
    There's one over on BikeForums.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You're really in a trollish mood now, aren't you.
    trolls now speak the simple truth and stick to the subject? huh.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    My wife has had one for 3 years now. It allows us to ride together. She would not ride with me before because it bothered her that I had to ride slower. Did not bother me but it did her. Now that she has the ebike (assist) If I want I can out ride her on the flats and down hill but up hill she just goes by me and laughs. I have used it a couple of times and it is fun to ride. As for the battery she can get 70 miles out of it riding in western Ma And western Ct. As for it being a moped and motercycle, Check out the legal definition.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    OP, what kind of riding are you looking to do? I work at a shop that sells E-bikes.

And to rideit - it's what ever gets someone on a bike. I know when I get older and have trouble riding a regular bike, an e-bike would bring enjoyment back to me.
    You'll never get too old to ride a bike. Watch your speed.

banned
    Jun 2008
    Any e-bike owners here? I'm interested in recommendations from those with actual experience.

I bought one for my wife 4 years ago and another for her about a year ago. The first one was too big for her and I now use it for making the shuttle on rivers when I'm using a boat for transportation while fly fishing. .

Both bikes are Haibikes with Bosch motors and operate in a highly intuitive manner (simply make you feel stronger than you are). They contribute more power as the rider inputs more and have four levels of power contribution. Expect a 500 wh battery to last 70 miles on rolling terrain with 140 watts of rider input (assuming 1000' of vertical and a i70 lb rider. That rider will likely experience a 4 to 5mph boost in his normal average speed.

They stop contributing power after 28mph. Most newer e-bike technology stops contributing power after 20mph which I expect to become the law reasonably soon.

Bosch has led they industry and has more experience than Shimano, Yamaha, and Specialized. You really should look for crank driven systems (instead of power units in the rear wheel) The industry has pretty much turned to that system except on the extremely low end.

I hope this helps

banned
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    Actually, I think the insecure will eventually tire and go back to the indexed shifter forums. Those of us who really enjoy having wives ride steep mountain terrain with us will eventually be able to exchange ideas without the juvenile input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Yeah, I'm getting older, and I hate to admit but I've looked at some of those BB conversions. It's the weight of the battery pack that keeps me from actually trying one; I'd hate to have to drag that all the way home after it's depleted, miles and miles from home!
    For sure!

Road Bike Action just mentioned Snickers candy bars and Coca Cola Classic as the ideal remedy to overcome bonk 20 miles from home. Available across the country since the '50s! Still the best.

Fuel of choice, sugar! Can't feed that battery pack candy bars, and you don't have access to plug-in chargers out in the middle of nowhere, yet anyway. Batteries take at least 1/2 hour to partially recharge, maybe enough to get your tired a$$ home on that 40# boat anchor. Forget it. Give me a svelte 18# manual bike, half the weight, that rides like a dream on sugar, with some refreshing fizz to it as it goes down. Just wonderful!

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Actually, I think the insecure will eventually tire and go back to the indexed shifter forums. Those of us who really enjoy having wives ride steep mountain terrain with us will eventually be able to exchange ideas without the juvenile input.
    good lord. i didn't think i needed to spell it out in reference to the subforum traffic on roadbikereview.com.

my bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    For sure!

Road Bike Action just mentioned Snickers candy bars and Coca Cola Classic as the ideal remedy to overcome bonk 20 miles from home.
    Actually, 3 Musketeers is better than Snickers - higher sugar content. When you are starting to see stars, you can actually feel the sugar rush from swallowing a bite of 3 Musketeers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast