• 08-11-2019
    PBL450
    E-bikes are Better for Exercise!
    I seriously donít believe that. There has to be a rub... I have seen dozens of e-bikes, most commuting, and I still have yet to see the rider pedaling" Iím actually seeing a trend in the bikes, they are getting more squat with wider, smoother tires, like lightweight electric motorcycles. Wait... They are lightweight electric motorcycles!

https://electrek.co/2019/08/11/electric-bike-riders-more-exercise-than-cyclists/
  • 08-11-2019
    SauronHimself
    You'll get more exercise when the battery dies.

The study examined time spent and distance traveled, which are not a good measure of how hard the riders worked. If they measured calories burned and power output, the conclusion would be different.
  • 08-11-2019
    duriel
    Totally sales pitch...
    I could see ebikes getting more excersize for people who would not even think about getting on a bike, they have a hard time getting off the couch!
  • 08-12-2019
    JCavilia
    The article was written by an e-bike enthusiast and advocate who has an obvious chip on his shoulder about criticism from cyclists. He paraphrases the study he discusses, and included a couple of quotations, but as far as I can see there is no link to the actual publication. More than suspicious. The (paraphrased) operative conclusion that purportedly supports the headline reads,

"electric bicycle riders ended up slightly edging out pedal bike cyclists in terms of total exercise each week. The studyís authors largely attribute this to the increased amount of time that e-bike riders spend on their bikes"

With no definition of "total exercise" this is largely meaningless, and appears to be based simply on time comparison. If a cyclist rides for an hour pedaling hard, and an e-cyclist rides for two hours mostly soft-pedalling while the motor works, who got "more" exercise?

I'm sure e-bikes have their place; if they get someone out to exercise at a modest pace who would otherwise do nothing, that's not a bad thing. But the article's conclusion is bogus argument, it seems to me.
  • 08-12-2019
    azpeterb
    I would like to carry this one step further, and hypothesize that if I'm sitting on the couch and drinking beer, I can get in more exercise because I do that for longer periods of time than I ride my bike. Hours on end of lifting a beer bottle to my mouth, several trips to the bathroom where I actually WALK to get there and back to the couch, trips back and forth to the fridge to get more beer and make snacks (even MORE WALKING!)....it's a full-body, brutal workout.
  • 08-12-2019
    Finx
    I Commute on an e-bike. I do this instead of driving (riding a non-e-bike is not really an option due to distance and climbing).

It takes me about an hour to ride to work in the morning.

I average 115-120bpm for that hour on the way in.

In the afternoon, I tend to take a longer route and push a little harder. This ride would be roughly 2 hours at 130-135bpm.

That's a lot of exercise I wouldn't be getting if I were driving my car.

I've lost about 10lbs (with no diet changes) since I started doing this in late Spring.

I take it easy and let the bike do most of the work on the way in so I don't get too sweaty ( I work in an office and we don't have showers). I put a lot more effort in on the way home, and typically burn 2-3 times as many calories.

The E-bike has panniers and a frame bag, and I occasionally do some light grocery shopping on the way home.

I still ride my road bike (non-motorized) on Summer evenings and on weekends. I do several local gravel Fondos on my non-motorized gravel bike as well.

I'm definitely getting more exercise by incorporating the e-bike into my routine.
  • 08-12-2019
    mmoose
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I Commute on an e-bike...I'm definitely getting more exercise by incorporating the e-bike into my routine.

Ebikes have their place and this is a great example. But the article tries to sound like you get more exercise using an ebike instead of a bike for the same trip. Simple bias in the "study".

But, thanks for the info. hr 115 for an hour is better than driving of course. Ebikes have their place. I'm still split on the "bike trail" (specifically "no motorized vehicles") usage.
  • 08-12-2019
    duriel
    I don't think finx is a 'typical" ebike rider.

But, I do see riders on them, so maybe they are 'typical". Do you see a lot of fellow ebikers?
  • 08-12-2019
    Finx
    I do see a lot of e-bikes, and almost all of them are pedaling. I live in an area where there are a lot of people in the tech industry. I find these folks to be very progressive in terms of adopting new tech. Just based on my personal observations, I seriously doubt most of these folks even own a bike that isn't motorized. If they weren't e-biking they would be driving or on the bus.

Based on this I'm pretty sure most of them are getting more exercise on their Ebike than they would get driving or sitting on the bus.

The vast majority of e-bikes sold in the US are class 1 and only provide assistance up to about 19mph.

I frequently nget passed by road bikes on flats and descents. The only time my e-bike is faster than a typical road bike commuter is on long or steep climbs.

The article in the OP is probably bunk. At least as it pertains to any serious cyclist (, of which most of the people on this forum are). O only scanned it, but if it's premise is the you would get more exercise on a Ebike than on a road or mountain bike, that is ridiculous.

I have nothing to back it up, but based on my own experience you will get a lot more exercise on an ebike than you would on the bus or driving a car (or sitting on your couch drinking beer).

I do think that Ebikes already have, and will continue t get more people riding who wouldn't otherwise consider it.

There things are flying out the door at most of my local shops. I watched a 50ish year old couple buying a pair of Trek Supercommuter Ebikes on Saturday. They were both giddy with excitement to be able to ride together. Neither were serious cyclists, and the wife didn't even own a bike.
  • 08-12-2019
    Oxtox
    could not care less about the silly exercise debate.

my only comment about ebikes is that for every person riding one instead of driving, there's one less car on the road that I have to be wary of...
  • 08-12-2019
    blackfrancois
    and in other news ... if you take the escalator 100 times, you get more exercise than taking the stairs once.
  • 08-14-2019
    masont
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    could not care less about the silly exercise debate.

my only comment about ebikes is that for every person riding one instead of driving, there's one less car on the road that I have to be wary of...

And one more person who votes that likes to see cycling infrastructure.
    One more person not polluting while driving
    One more person who doesn't need a parking spot for a car at their destination
  • 08-15-2019
    walrus
    E-bikes are a good way to get your significant other who isn't an enthusiast out riding with you.
  • 08-16-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    E-bikes are a good way to get your significant other who isn't an enthusiast out riding with you.

So is a tandem, which would be my preference.
  • 08-16-2019
    duriel
    Quote:

Are u crazy?
  • 08-16-2019
    bmach
    Quote:

Have to totally agree, my wife would not ride at all. Bought an e assist bike, now we are up to 40 mile rides together. She also joins in on club rides and is having fun.
  • 08-16-2019
    PBL450
    Quote:

Originally Posted by masont View Post
    And one more person who votes that likes to see cycling infrastructure.
    One more person not polluting while driving
    One more person who doesn't need a parking spot for a car at their destination

We all have our own unique experiences and they are all different. In mine, I have yet to see an ebike rider turn a single pedal revolution. Not one. Iíve seen tons of them, mostly commuters and the rest beach-goers. From a green alternative standpoint an ebike isnít anything to write home about. Compared to a car an ebike is a win. Compared to an actual bicycle itís an eco fail. Iím not sure there is any benefit in the moped infrastructure aspect of the discussion either. Ive seen of these things freaking hauling! The fastest I have seen looks home made, an old hybrid with an add on motor. Dude is way over 30. He rides the highway shoulder near where I work so I see him often. He wears ski goggles and a bandana over his lower face. No helmet. I think they may be more counter exercise productive than the article suggests. Again, this is my experience. They arenít being used as bicycles at all.
  • 08-16-2019
    duriel
    The side add on my RBR, there is one, they put a thing in the triangle that looks like a HD motor, the seat is low and wide handlebars. No one is going to be pedaling on that POS!
  • 08-16-2019
    den bakker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    We all have our own unique experiences and they are all different. In mine, I have yet to see an ebike rider turn a single pedal revolution. Not one. Iíve seen tons of them, mostly commuters and the rest beach-goers. From a green alternative standpoint an ebike isnít anything to write home about. Compared to a car an ebike is a win. Compared to an actual bicycle itís an eco fail. Iím not sure there is any benefit in the moped infrastructure aspect of the discussion either. Ive seen of these things freaking hauling! The fastest I have seen looks home made, an old hybrid with an add on motor. Dude is way over 30. He rides the highway shoulder near where I work so I see him often. He wears ski goggles and a bandana over his lower face. No helmet. I think they may be more counter exercise productive than the article suggests. Again, this is my experience. They arenít being used as bicycles at all.

I'll have confirmation bias for 200 Alex
    https://www.science20.com/news_artic...r_a_lot-154437
  • 08-16-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post

I've seen it around here too, plenty of them are being used as nothing more than cheap transportation.
  • 08-16-2019
    Finx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I've seen it around here too, plenty of them are being used as nothing more than cheap transportation.

Is this suggesting that there is something wrong with 'cheap transportation' ?
  • 08-17-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Is this suggesting that there is something wrong with 'cheap transportation' ?

It's suggesting that they're more about cheap transportation and less about cycling. More to do with getting from here to there cheaply and with as little effort as possible.
  • 08-17-2019
    Finx
    Quote:

It's suggesting that they're more about cheap transportation and less about cycling. More to do with getting from here to there cheaply and with as little effort as possible.

As little effort as possible? Wouldn't that involve sitting in a car in traffic?

And cheap? Have you seen how much ebikes cost compared to non motorized bikes?
  • 08-17-2019
    BCSaltchucker
    Quote:

in other words, ebikes are making the world a better place for everyone
  • 08-17-2019
    PBL450
    Quote:

Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    I'll have confirmation bias for 200 Alex
    https://www.science20.com/news_artic...r_a_lot-154437

Im not sure Iím following you den.... Iím more than casually facile with social science research methods and confounding tendencies. I just donít get how you are applying this idea.