E-Bikes and Trail Access Issues. .
    RoadBikeReview Member

E-Bikes and Trail Access Issues. .

“The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is undergoing rulemaking to open up our federal public lands to electric bikes, or e-bikes. This means that all trails open to bikes will now be open to motorized bikes, and although individual managers can close individual trails to e-bike use, most will be loathe to do so. This rulemaking effort is being made to implement Secretary of Interior David Bernhardt’s Secretarial Order from August 2019 to do so.
    These e-bike rules have to potential to affect millions of acres of public land since the BLM manages more than 245 million acres of public land located mostly in 12 Western states, including Alaska. Please take action today!
    E-bikes are bicycles turned into motorbikes. They use an electric motor, rather than a gas-powered one, to propel the bike forward. On some bikes, the electric motor provides an assist while peddling, on others the electric motor alone can power the bike. E-bike use has taken off in recent years, and new technologies are now being developed to manufacture e-bikes that can drive up to 55 mph.
    For far too long conservationists have ignored the threat that mountain biking poses to wildlands, wildlife and Wilderness. Modern bikes employ technological advances in suspensions, materials, drivetrains, brakes, and even tires that allow mountain bikers to access backcountry areas that would have been unheard of a decade or two ago. Even today, many conservationists err in promoting mountain biking as a benign “human-powered” activity, even though the human power is enhanced with a great deal of high-tech machinery that allows even average riders to reach places unreachable not long ago. Electric-powered bikes—e-bikes—are becoming the norm and will greatly exacerbate the ecological and political problems created by mountain bikes.
    Like all recreation, mountain bikes displace wildlife. Because they travel farther and faster than hikers or equestrians, then can impact a much greater area in the same amount of time. They also have a very asymmetrical impact on foot travelers, who are seeking a quiet, contemplative, non-motorized and non-mechanized experience and are disrupted by a machine racing by. But beyond these direct impacts to nature, a significant segment of the mountain biking community has become one of the most ardent opponents of wilderness designation and, more significantly, is pushing to open existing Wildernesses to bikes. That will presumably include e-bikes if they’re treated like non-motorized bikes on public lands.
    The new rulemaking effort poses significant problems for wildlife, other trail users, and protected areas like Wilderness. Your help is needed before June 8 to submit comments expressing opposition to opening up our federal public lands to e-bikes.”
    What’s RBR’s take??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I’m all for it if the bike is assist only, no throttle.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Its a sad thing when the biggest innovation getting people on bikes these days is an electric motor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bmach View Post
    I’m all for it if the bike is assist only, no throttle.
    There isn’t any enforcement, the reality is that all ebikes will be lumped together and either allowed or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Its a sad thing when the biggest innovation getting people on bikes these days is an electric motor.
    One could also argue that it's sad that ANY innovation, motorized or not, is needed to get people outdoors these days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I don't know how one would regulate this.
    One can by a fullout 50HP motocross elec powered bike, how do they propose to not allow this on the trail?
    By most technical terms it could be an e-bike, it has 2 wheels, disk brakes, all elec and those things can move & fly.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    One could also argue that it's sad that ANY innovation, motorized or not, is needed to get people outdoors these days.
    You probably want a running or walking website if you're looking for any acceptance of that argument.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Electric beats the alternative.

Want to know how many 2-stroke lawn-mower engine retrofitted Wal-Mart specials I have to breathe the exhaust of on the MUP zipping at 25MPH+ on nice day here?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

Want to know how many 2-stroke lawn-mower engine retrofitted Wal-Mart specials I have to breathe the exhaust of on the MUP zipping at 25MPH+ on nice day here?
    I plan to go nuclear-powered on my motorized bike. Lots of power and low carbon footprint

Banned forever.....or not
    It's my right to drive my car on the trail.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    It's my right to drive my car on the trail.
    Driving a car on a trail is ludicrous. This clearly calls for the Banana Splits buggy

Banana_Splits.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    I saw a guy on the trail last week on a motor bike that sounded like a Harley. No kidding, 1/2 mile opposite direction, I could still hear his motor roaring.

That ain't right!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Harley's don't roar! Some do make a terrible racket though.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    #*@& these hypocritical naturalists/environmentalists and their "quiet, contemplative" hikes. It's nature - not their private walking resort. Also, it kills me that they claim mountain bikes are harmful yet are fine with horses. My 23 lb bike has never taken a shlt on the trail or planted a 250 lb hoof in the mud or creek bottom.

But yeah, keep the mopeds out of the woods.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

We're talking trails, not mup. The real issue is with singletrack, natural trails.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk