eBikes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBikes

RoadBikeReview Member

eBikes

This is what we are sharing our few precious bike lanes in Toronto with. Taken today at College and University. He had just brushed past me. Not a fan I have to say.

We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Doesn't look quite like an e-bike. E-moped maybe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hate these things. They are everywhere here in NYC. The food delivery guys are big fans of them.

I don't really respect them (meaning the bikes). I know electric assist is supposedly a good way to get non-cyclists into cycling as transportation, but it's just too damn lazy. Even on a cargo bike, I would forgo the e-assist options out there. Totally not badass.

As much as they irk me, I leave the riders alone unless they're flagrantly breaking the law, or riding dangerously (salmoning bastards!). I did yell at a guy riding his gas-powered mo-ped in the bike lane when the motor vehicle lanes were congested. He kept dipping in and out to pass the stalled traffic. I told him he was welcome to use the bike lane as long as the engine was off and he was pedaling. Lazy jerk.

I hate the myth of electric vehicles. They're not saving anything. If you're using a power source that is not your own then you're not doing all you can. And you're a pansy. I also bet the proliferation of these beauties will make great landfill soon, if not already:

I'm amazed at how many grown men ride around on these, and pay $600.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's probably loads of them in landfill already. Cheaply made and always seem to be sold by sketchy looking guys out of popup stores that disappear after a few months. Toronto banned them from the trails (not that anyone pays attention), but they still hog the bike lanes.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
    ... If you're using a power source that is not your own then you're not doing all you can...
    Are you organically growing and recycling the extra food you need to eat to supply the calories needed to pedal? If not, you're not doing all you can.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Crusty AF

eBikes

The only "bike" thing about them is the pedals which are strapped on to circumvent the laws. My GF had one for a short bit, and I tried pedaling it - useless. The scooter (because that's what they really are) is too heavy, and the pedals too poorly placed and have too short of a crankarm to go more than a few hundred metres before you have to stop either from exhaustion or crippling knee and hip pain. And that's even before you get to that 1% grade before your house....

And most of the folks I see in my 'hood (west end of Toronto) on them haven't pedaled a real bike in a long time, let alone look capable of pedaling one of these things. They're asking a lot of the structural integrity of the frame....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    This is what we are sharing our few precious bike lanes in Toronto with. Taken today at College and University. He had just brushed past me. Not a fan I have to say.

Where can I get an eCycling helmet like that? It looks like it is really aero.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I hate these things. They are everywhere here in NYC. The food delivery guys are big fans of them.

I don't really respect them (meaning the bikes). I know electric assist is supposedly a good way to get non-cyclists into cycling as transportation, but it's just too damn lazy. Even on a cargo bike, I would forgo the e-assist options out there. Totally not badass.

As much as they irk me, I leave the riders alone unless they're flagrantly breaking the law, or riding dangerously (salmoning bastards!). I did yell at a guy riding his gas-powered mo-ped in the bike lane when the motor vehicle lanes were congested. He kept dipping in and out to pass the stalled traffic. I told him he was welcome to use the bike lane as long as the engine was off and he was pedaling. Lazy jerk.

I hate the myth of electric vehicles. They're not saving anything. If you're using a power source that is not your own then you're not doing all you can. And you're a pansy. I also bet the proliferation of these beauties will make great landfill soon, if not already:
    Good lord. I would have thought electric bikes saved polution and gas but thanks for clearing that up.

So old people and those with a handicap are lazy jerks or pansys? Got it.

Re: eBikes

Mook:

So, after I had my heart attack when my doctor told me 'electric-assist bike only' until my weight and blood pressure come down, I should have just sat on my ass on the sofa instead? Good to know.
    Last edited by PlatyPius; 08-15-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    WOW! So cool... an "eBike" huh? Oh... wait. It has an electric motor. A motor... hmmm What should we call a bicycle with a motor... There must be a name for that. Oh yeah - MOTORCYCLE.

Move over guys, I'm going to ride my gBike in the bike lane:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Mook:

So, after I had my heart attack when my doctor told me 'electric-assist bike only' until my weight and blood pressure come down, I should have just sat on my ass on the sofa instead? Good to know.
    Platy and others. If electrically assisted bikes had stayed this way no one would have had a problem.

Instead we have been overrun by fat ass scooters, that can be pedaled only in theory.

Notice the removal of the redundant pedals on this one making it no longer a bicycle:

One.

Roadbike Rider
    He is probably riding one of these unlicensed behemoths because his driving license is under suspension for DUI
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    — John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainstay View Post
    He is probably riding one of these unlicensed behemoths because his driving license is under suspension for DUI
    exactly. no licence or insurance required.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    exactly. no licence or insurance required.
    So if they run you over you get nothing unless you sue them. Lots of them in Hamilton as well in the bike lanes and even worse on the sidewalks. Waste of space and are not practical because they can't even handle a hill, I get most places faster on my push bike then they do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crowaan View Post
    So if they run you over you get nothing unless you sue them. Lots of them in Hamilton as well in the bike lanes and even worse on the sidewalks. Waste of space and are not practical because they can't even handle a hill, I get most places faster on my push bike then they do.
    Right now, in Ontario, they would be treated the same as a bicycle in the event of an accident.

One.

Platy and others. If electrically assisted bikes had stayed this way no one would have had a problem.

Instead we have been overrun by fat ass scooters, that can be pedaled only in theory.

Notice the removal of the redundant pedals on this one making it no longer a bicycle:

I haz this one, with a few upgrades (NuVinci rear hub, Eclat aluminum BMX pedals, big-ass seat, h-bar mounted canvas basket, etc):

Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Master debator.
    Why would a doctor recommend that? What's wrong with walking? You aren't the grumpy old guy in the electric scooter at Walmart are you?

Any bike with a motor, electric or otherwise, shouldn't be in the bike lane it should be considered a motor vehicle.

Mook:

"I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Good lord. I would have thought electric bikes saved polution and gas but thanks for clearing that up.

So old people and those with a handicap are lazy jerks or pansys? Got it.
    Jeez you guys are touchy. Medical conditions or not, you guys need to HTFU. So in my haste I forgot my “able bodied” disclaimer. If you have a condition, it’s useful, sure. And while we’re at it, I’ll add in emergency and life-saving needs as well. An electric assist rescue bike would be an interesting project.

But there’s a laziness among the un-injured and un-inhibited in this country that frustrates me. No[able]body needs an electric assist. If you cant pull it on your own power, maybe you don’t need it. We think we “deserve” to travel farther with more for less work. "Well of course electric or gas assist is necessary! How else will I portage all my crap?" Meanwhile, we’re creating toxic batteries for hybrids, cheap plastic e-bikes with cheap batteries that will end up in landfills within 10 years, all in the name of reducing our carbon footprint. Yes, they’re “emissions free” and can help with smog and air issues in their immediate locales, but they’re far from green. They’re just another rationalized luxury to support our oversized lives of long-distance travel and far too much “stuff”.

Our never-ending search for convenience comes at a cost, and I don’t think the e-car and e-bike enthusiasts have any respect for that cost. They just pass it further down the line. This new tech garbage has to come from somewhere, doesn’t it?

No, I’m not the most green guy. I’m not "No Impact Man". I have a car. I sometimes leave the lights on when I’m not in a room. I’m working on it like everyone else, but I'm working on it. I ride my bike to work every day under my own power. Why add cost, weight and complexity to a machine that is already one of the most efficient machines on earth?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Why add cost, weight and complexity to a machine that is already one of the most efficient machines on earth?
    Maybe because both the temperature and humidity are in the 90s when I leave for work in the morning. There's no way to pedal (even at a snail's pace) and not be a sweaty mess when I get to the office, nor is there any place to change, clean up, or dry a bunch of soaking wet cycling clothes.

I tried to make it work for a month and it just wasn't worth it. So now I take my reconditioned '87 Mongoose MTB with a 500W hub motor. I motor on the road and pedal on the very short stretch of "no motor vehicle" trail and it's working out great. I save money, reduce my carbon footprint, and keep one more car off the over crowded roads. How is that a bad thing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopsis View Post
    Maybe because both the temperature and humidity are in the 90s when I leave for work in the morning. There's no way to pedal (even at a snail's pace) and not be a sweaty mess when I get to the office, nor is there any place to change, clean up, or dry a bunch of soaking wet cycling clothes.

I tried to make it work for a month and it just wasn't worth it. So now I take my reconditioned '87 Mongoose MTB with a 500W hub motor. I motor on the road and pedal on the very short stretch of "no motor vehicle" trail and it's working out great. I save money, reduce my carbon footprint, and keep one more car off the over crowded roads. How is that a bad thing?
    And so we rationalize. What I'm suggesting is that society HTFU and deal with a little BO. There's absolutely no need to mine and ship rare earth metals to make batteries for your electric hub just so you can get to work sweat-free. Do you know what I do? Put clothes in my bag and change at work (your work does have at least one bathroom?). No batteries required.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And so we rationalize. What I'm suggesting is that society HTFU and deal with a little BO. There's absolutely no need to mine and ship rare earth metals to make batteries for your electric hub just so you can get to work sweat-free. Do you know what I do? Put clothes in my bag and change at work (your work does have at least one bathroom?). No batteries required.
    WOW!!! Maybe if we had a powerful enough regulatory body.... government could withhold permission to own motorized transport. Unless of course it was absolutely needed... you know for serious health reasons.

But then again... if a person has health issues... they should just stay home and not waste Earths resources at all.

Some people just love to hate.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Nothing wrong with e bikes ,each ebike gets one car off the road ,they have a smaller carbon footprint than any car will ever have.If you live in a hilly city or town(as I do) its near impossable to get people to use a bike or even think about it for short trips under 10km ( yes thats the distance that most car trips are)We now have people who now go to the local shops etc on ebikes because it is easy to ride, park,and faster than taking the car .We have got 4 new riders in our cycle group because of ebikes,they found the the roads are not as dangerous as they thought and had so much fun going to the shops on there ebikes they thought they would try riding a non ebike ,they love riding with our group in the weekends. During the week they get ready to go to the shops or work go to there garage and get the ebike out not there car thats got to be a win .Yes there will be wankers on ebikes there will be wankers useing any form of transport for that matter ! So stop being so high and mighty and thank god theres one less car on the road to take you out !

RoadBikeReview Member
    E-bikes are simply not badass. That's really my point of my subjective, crass and highly opinionated rant. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone with health issues. My bone to pick is with able-bodied folk who literally can't pull their own weight, and push the burden of the work onto manufactured energy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

And so we rationalize. What I'm suggesting is that society HTFU and deal with a little BO.
    Several thousand years of history says that isn't likely to happen. Perhaps after the zombie apocalypse, but until then I can't get away with bio warfare against my customers and coworkers.
    [QUOTE ]There's absolutely no need to mine and ship rare earth metals to make batteries for your electric hub just so you can get to work sweat-free.[/QUOTE]
    Since when did lithium, iron, and phosphorus become rare earth metals? If you called me out for the neodymium in the motor's magnets, maybe you'd have a valid argument, though that 8 oz of neodymium results in a motor that will last 10 years or more and is almost fully recyclable. My TV is a bigger waste of limited natural resources (and I'm not going to htfu and give it up either).

This "purist" nonsense is why people keep using 4000 lbs of steel with a 300 hp engine to haul themselves a few miles every day. Any compromise that doesn't go all the way to the other extreme earns them ridicule from both sides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Why would a doctor recommend that? What's wrong with walking? You aren't the grumpy old guy in the electric scooter at Walmart are you?

Any bike with a motor, electric or otherwise, shouldn't be in the bike lane it should be considered a motor vehicle.

Part two

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast