ebikes are everywhere! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Don't worry, like everything else, those municipalities will see a revenue stream, consider them as vehicles that needs to be licensed to collect some funds and then poof, they are no longer an attraction.
    Where do you live that cities are collecting licensing fees?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I have no problem with e-bikes, especially in place of a car. My wife takes cortisone injections in both knees and an e-bike might be the only way she and I could ever go on a bike ride together.

It will take some adjustment, though, to figure out where this relatively new mode of transportation fits in the continuum.
    Absolutely to the bolded. The micro-mobility boom is coming. As elected officials come around to what planners have known for a long time - that concentrated development in walkable communities near transit lines are better for pretty much everything - I think we'll see more political will to build infrastructure around micro-mobility. I sure hope so, because there's a lot of good to be done there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post

Same here in NY, but who enforces it? On my MUT, I've seen E-bikes, motorized skateboards, even a couple old goat on Whizzers.
    The same people who enforce the roads where cars tailgate, cut others off, speed, and be dangerous to the tune of over a million deaths per year in our country alone?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    The same people who enforce the roads where cars tailgate, cut others off, speed, and be dangerous to the tune of over a million deaths per year in our country alone?
    A million deaths per year in our country alone? Which country?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Crashistan.
    BANNED

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Crashistan.
    First thing in the morning, I'm removing "Solo Bike Tour of Crashistan" from my bucket list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    You'll have to excuse my USA-centric assumptions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    e-bikes, what about e-scooters or whatever the hell they're called? Ride share and capable of 15mph, there's some cracked skulls gonna happen. Guy on the news said that they're a great option for getting around quickly without the effort of riding a bike. Future trauma patient.

https://www.consumerreports.org/prod...s-in-its-path/
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does an e-moped require registration, driver testing/licencing, and insurance?

Can anyone see the handwriting on the wall? (Hint: green ecology/economy government profit center in the name of public safety).
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Where do you live that cities are collecting licensing fees?
    I'm saying that's probably going to happen in the future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Came across this today and it seems like a timely message to share.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/c...e-bikes-426773
    Two guys on those electric scooters ran up beside me coming back from the Safeway. I almost made a left turn into them. See them parked at The Italian Store, a popular hangout for kids after school. There's also been a bunch of city bikes parked down at the park. Every time I ride past them I think I should use them for the trip to Safeway. Then I laugh, irrevernt snob that I am.

Interestingly, the largest upsurge in electric bikes is in the Netherlands, the place where such bikes perfectly fit in. Electric bikes could expand the bicycling market another third, attracting fitness minded who want to save the planet, but can't get hot and sweaty integrating fully manual riding into their genteel lifestyles. That's fine.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    There's been an explosion of ebikes in the DC area. I commute 17 miles each way on a MUT and over the last 3-4 years its gone from seeing one a week, to seeing several every day. They pass me because I can't keep up with them -- especially on the hills. They often pass around blind corners and do other stupid stuff -- not that cyclists don't do stupid stuff too. The path is maybe a car lane wide. A few weeks ago, I got passed by one going in the other direction over the 14-th street bridge. He was easily going 25-30 mph on a crowded narrow walkway over the Potomac. What if he'd hit some debris? This year those electric dockless scooters have been added to the mix. The bike path rules state that motorized vehicles are not permitted, but no one enforces it, and it looks like the county is going to OK them. It's tolerable now, but I worry in 10 years what its going to be like when half the bikes on the path are ebikes.

My LBS must have 30 of them on the sales floor. I think it's sad that the latest development getting people on a bike is an electric motor. How lazy are we?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    My LBS must have 30 of them on the sales floor. I think it's sad that the latest development getting people on a bike is an electric motor. How lazy are we?
    This lazy

fatbike.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    D
    Well said. I mean, we figured out how to motorize a bicycle a long time ago... but we stopped considering the ones with motors bicycles a long time ago.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    That's fine. Nobody is going to infringe on your right to choose who you ride with. If ebikes show up to the ride you are welcome to not go on it.

If the person who organizes the ride wants to make it a no-ebike bide, they are welcome to do so.

What's the concern?
    Thanks for guidance; I never thought of it that way. You've really made a good point and changed my mind on this topic.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    D

Well said. I mean, we figured out how to motorize a bicycle a long time ago... but we stopped considering the ones with motors bicycles a long time ago.
    I sometimes hear the argument that these things get people out on a bike who couldn't do so without the motor --- but the people I see riding them in this area are young -- like in their 30's. I once asked this guy who was a good 20 years and pounds less than me why he needed a bike with a motor on it. He said he was trying to get into shape. I told him maybe he should try doing that on a bike without an electric motor. He sped off.

I've got no problem with these things if they'd just stay off the bike path that I commute on. I've been a bike commuter for 27 years. It's gone from being basically empty to being kind of crowded -- especially on the way home. ebikes have given a growing number of people the ability to ride a lot faster than cyclists, but most of them, with their instant speed, are crappy bike riders. The only respite I get from them is in the winter.

Yeah, maybe its one less car, but its still one more motor.

Russian Troll Farmer
    You'll have to excuse my USA-centric assumptions.
    More like your hyperbolic balderdash....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    More like your hyperbolic balderdash....
    Yup, that was wrong. I did a bad google and didn't verify.

The real number doesn't change the point I made, however.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by vic bastige View Post
    Thanks for guidance; I never thought of it that way. You've really made a good point and changed my mind on this topic.
    Ya know vic, keep in mind that ebikes are as vulnerable to the old "frame pump in the spokes" exploit as regular bikes. As I see more and more ebikes on my rides, I've started carrying more "burner" frame pumps. Because ya never know when you might have to teach an ebike rider a lesson, a la Cinzano!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Ya know vic, keep in mind that ebikes are as vulnerable to the old "frame pump in the spokes" exploit as regular bikes. As I see more and more ebikes on my rides, I've started carrying more "burner" frame pumps. Because ya never know when you might have to teach an ebike rider a lesson, a la Cinzano!

I just...really?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I sometimes hear the argument that these things get people out on a bike who couldn't do so without the motor --- but the people I see riding them in this area are young -- like in their 30's. I once asked this guy who was a good 20 years and pounds less than me why he needed a bike with a motor on it. He said he was trying to get into shape. I told him maybe he should try doing that on a bike without an electric motor. He sped off.

I've got no problem with these things if they'd just stay off the bike path that I commute on. I've been a bike commuter for 27 years. It's gone from being basically empty to being kind of crowded -- especially on the way home. ebikes have given a growing number of people the ability to ride a lot faster than cyclists, but most of them, with their instant speed, are crappy bike riders. The only respite I get from them is in the winter.

Yeah, maybe its one less car, but its still one more motor.
    The answer to your question is time. I started a new job a few months ago, have two kids under 5, and am involved in the community to the tune of 20-25 hours a week. With an e-bike I can ride at the same effort level I do on an analog bike and get to work and back in roughly the same time as a car. It's free pedaling time, which I think is pretty awesome at this stage of life. And honestly, it's kind of weird that I can spend a half an hour pedaling at the exact same effort I usually ride at instead of driving a car, and other cyclists think this is somehow bad.

The HR charts on Garmin aren't noticeably different when I ride my ebike as when I ride one of my analog bikes. I'm simply replacing car miles with bike miles because I'd rather ride than drive, and the motor makes it so there's no time cost associated with that. If there were, I'd probably just have to drive, because my time is pinched a lot right now.

E-bikes allow more people to ride more miles. I think the bike is a tool for social and municipal good, and the more people we have riding bikes the better off we'll be as a society. It's odd to me that so many disagree here on a...bike website.

RoadBikeReview Member

Team Cinzano, eh? No way.

Those Silca pumps are now expensive as hell! Some idiot finally stole the one on the commuter the other day, after 35 years on the bike! I was shocked.

How about a substantial twig?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The answer to your question is time. I started a new job a few months ago, have two kids under 5, and am involved in the community to the tune of 20-25 hours a week. With an e-bike I can ride at the same effort level I do on an analog bike and get to work and back in roughly the same time as a car. It's free pedaling time, which I think is pretty awesome at this stage of life. And honestly, it's kind of weird that I can spend a half an hour pedaling at the exact same effort I usually ride at instead of driving a car, and other cyclists think this is somehow bad.

The HR charts on Garmin aren't noticeably different when I ride my ebike as when I ride one of my analog bikes. I'm simply replacing car miles with bike miles because I'd rather ride than drive, and the motor makes it so there's no time cost associated with that. If there were, I'd probably just have to drive, because my time is pinched a lot right now.

E-bikes allow more people to ride more miles. I think the bike is a tool for social and municipal good, and the more people we have riding bikes the better off we'll be as a society. It's odd to me that so many disagree here on a...bike website.
    a sensible, reasonable post. the rest are just trolling or being knee jerk about it

reminds me of the meme 'every one driving faster than me is a maniac, everyone driving slower than me is a loser' only this time it is 'everyone not in full spandex with a road racing bike and 25-28mm tires is a loser and deserves a wheel full of pump.' Might as well be saying they conceal carry and ought to be allowed to go shooting the ebikers.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I just...really?
    No, not really.

Did you actually think I was being serious? Just... really?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    No, not really.

Did you actually think I was being serious? Just... really?
    Ha. I'm clearly struggling a little bit in here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast