ebikes are everywhere! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    No, not really.

Did you actually think I was being serious? Just... really?
    Didn't you hear? Sarcasm is dead.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Didn't you hear? Sarcasm is dead.
    Sarcasm dead? Riiiight.

Heh heh. See what I did there?

RoadBikeReview Member
    2 more ebikes this morning, an older couple riding together, side by side, one rider in each tire track, and keeping up with urban rush hour driving, 25mph maybe a bit more. Both helmetless, he was barefoot. Not a single pedal revolution.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    2 more ebikes this morning, an older couple riding together, side by side, one rider in each tire track, and keeping up with urban rush hour driving, 25mph maybe a bit more. Both helmetless, he was barefoot. Not a single pedal revolution.
    Well, at least they were riding in the road with the other motorized vehicles.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    The answer to your question is time. I started a new job a few months ago, have two kids under 5, and am involved in the community to the tune of 20-25 hours a week. With an e-bike I can ride at the same effort level I do on an analog bike and get to work and back in roughly the same time as a car. It's free pedaling time, which I think is pretty awesome at this stage of life. And honestly, it's kind of weird that I can spend a half an hour pedaling at the exact same effort I usually ride at instead of driving a car, and other cyclists think this is somehow bad.

The HR charts on Garmin aren't noticeably different when I ride my ebike as when I ride one of my analog bikes. I'm simply replacing car miles with bike miles because I'd rather ride than drive, and the motor makes it so there's no time cost associated with that. If there were, I'd probably just have to drive, because my time is pinched a lot right now.

E-bikes allow more people to ride more miles. I think the bike is a tool for social and municipal good, and the more people we have riding bikes the better off we'll be as a society. It's odd to me that so many disagree here on a...bike website.
    How did I manage to do all the above on a bike without a motor for all those years?

You are better off pedaling the thing yourself -- especially if its the 'same level of effort', which we all know is BS. It doesn't take that much longer and in a few decades, your heart will thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    E-bikes allow more people to ride more miles. I think the bike is a tool for social and municipal good, and the more people we have riding bikes the better off we'll be as a society. It's odd to me that so many disagree here on a...bike website.
    I donít totally disagree. I definitely partially disagree. Your first assumption is that the bike is socially and municipally good. Iím not sure how to evaluate those claims. Social? An ebike? I donít know. Municipal good? Infrastructure maybe? I donít know about that. Reduced congestion maybe? Reduced pollution? Electricity isnít necessarily clean. Making it accounts for a good hunk of carbon emissions. I think making electricity is around 20% of the total carbon generated. Riding a bicycle? Now we are talking eco-friendly! Fitness benefit o an ebike? Maybe for some small fraction of users... Again, I have yet to see a single pedal revolution. Not one. Poorly placed foot pegs. Riding bikes might help make us a better society. Going from a 4 wheel to a 2 wheel vehicle, Iím not as inclined to agree. Somehow, somewhat better in small ways? Yeah, I can dig that. Letís consider safety... My experience has seen zero helmets. 2 barefoot riders. 2 riders in urban traffic without brake lights, directional signals, a horn, lights.... the list goes on. Major flop on public safety. Hitting someone on an ebike May have a better outcome than hitting another car or truck? Thatís good! You have also asserted this is a ďbike website.Ē Itís actually a road bike forum. Thatís actually a sport. Lots of people here break their azzes riding miles and getting faster. Itís hard work. You are seeing a difference in definition more than a dis by far. You have people that find ways and make time, even steal time to improve as a cyclist. This isnít a moped or motor(ized)cycle forum. You are getting some snark, far more than hate, in part because this isnít necessarily the best forum for conversations about motorbikes. Iím not anti- ebike... I think lots of people will be killed riding them... But hey, lots of people get killed by electricity itself and we wouldnít ditch that...
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Deleted because the pic didnít post.
    Last edited by JSR; 06-19-2019 at 03:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    We

I donít totally disagree. I definitely partially disagree. Your first assumption is that the bike is socially and municipally good. Iím not sure how to evaluate those claims. Social? An ebike? I donít know. Municipal good? Infrastructure maybe? I donít know about that. Reduced congestion maybe? Reduced pollution? Electricity isnít necessarily clean. Making it accounts for a good hunk of carbon emissions. I think making electricity is around 20% of the total carbon generated. Riding a bicycle? Now we are talking eco-friendly! Fitness benefit o an ebike? Maybe for some small fraction of users... Again, I have yet to see a single pedal revolution. Not one. Poorly placed foot pegs. Riding bikes might help make us a better society. Going from a 4 wheel to a 2 wheel vehicle, Iím not as inclined to agree. Somehow, somewhat better in small ways? Yeah, I can dig that. Letís consider safety... My experience has seen zero helmets. 2 barefoot riders. 2 riders in urban traffic without brake lights, directional signals, a horn, lights.... the list goes on. Major flop on public safety. Hitting someone on an ebike May have a better outcome than hitting another car or truck? Thatís good! You have also asserted this is a ďbike website.Ē Itís actually a road bike forum. Thatís actually a sport. Lots of people here break their azzes riding miles and getting faster. Itís hard work. You are seeing a difference in definition more than a dis by far. You have people that find ways and make time, even steal time to improve as a cyclist. This isnít a moped or motor(ized)cycle forum. You are getting some snark, far more than hate, in part because this isnít necessarily the best forum for conversations about motorbikes. Iím not anti- ebike... I think lots of people will be killed riding them... But hey, lots of people get killed by electricity itself and we wouldnít ditch that...
    I wonder how much of the current e-bike craze is fad and how much will continue. Those of us old enough to remember the 1973 OPEC oil embargo may remember that mopeds became super popular for a few years. It was initially triggered by high oil prices and shortages but mopeds quickly became the cool thing to have and they were everywhere. After a sales explosion, people moved on to the the newest Next Big Thing and thousands of mopeds were relegated to backyard sheds and garages. In later years they were joined by roller-blades Thighmasters, and Sweating to the Oldies videos.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I wonder how much of the current e-bike craze is fad and how much will continue. Those of us old enough to remember the 1973 OPEC oil embargo may remember that mopeds became super popular for a few years. It was initially triggered by high oil prices and shortages but mopeds quickly became the cool thing to have and they were everywhere. After a sales explosion, people moved on to the the newest Next Big Thing and thousands of mopeds were relegated to backyard sheds and garages. In later years they were joined by roller-blades Thighmasters, and Sweating to the Oldies videos.
    That's a hopeful thought. I really don't miss roller blades. I remember the OPEC embargo in the 1970's and $1/gallon gas!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    That's a hopeful thought. I really don't miss roller blades. I remember the OPEC embargo in the 1970's and $1/gallon gas!
    I remember 2 gallons of gas and a pack of cigarettes for $1.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I remember 2 gallons of gas and a pack of cigarettes for $1.
    Ditto. A couple gallons of Sunoco 260 for my thirsty 63 Buick and a pack of Kool non-filters. Living large.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, but the $1/gallon was the Oh my God freak out price.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    When I first saw 50 cents a gallon in 1973 or 74, you could have knocked me over with a handful of peanuts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    $1 in 1975 is equivalent to $4.76 today (according to usinflationcalculator.com). Of course in 1975 your Buick Skylark 350 got 12 miles to the gallon too

RoadBikeReview Member
    When I first saw 50 cents a gallon in 1973 or 74, you could have knocked me over with a handful of peanuts.
    Yep, and I swore that I'd never pay over a dollar a gallon.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ditto. A couple gallons of Sunoco 260 for my thirsty 63 Buick and a pack of Kool non-filters. Living large.
    Non filter Kools, my hat's off to you.

Camels for me, I lit and had one drag of a non filtered Kool and almost passed out. It felt like my lungs crystalized.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Non filter Kools, my hat's off to you.

Camels for me, I lit and had one drag of a non filtered Kool and almost passed out. It felt like my lungs crystalized.
    I almost wrecked my first car (beat up 63 skylark with a leaky aluminum block V8) the first time I took a puff on a Kool non while driving.

Last I heard, Kool nons are illegal now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I almost wrecked my first car (beat up 63 skylark with a leaky aluminum block V8) the first time I took a puff on a Kool non while driving.

Last I heard, Kool nons are illegal now.
    Those old Al blocks.... Ouch. I had a 1972 AMC Jeep Commando with a 302 V8. It got 8 mpg around town and 6 or less on the highway. 10 gallon gas tank. I knew every gas station in the county! It had a tinfoil removable roof with no roll bars or seat belts. That truck was fast. And off road it was a beast. It was broken a lot... Some of it design flaws some of it me. But I loved that truck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    yeah, no lie...

fiddy cent gas was the end of my gear-head days. no way I was going to keep a 427 ci big-block Camaro that got 7 mpg as a daily driver...

sold it and bought a fuel-efficient Saab.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those old Al blocks.... Ouch. I had a 1972 AMC Jeep Commando with a 302 V8. It got 8 mpg around town and 6 or less on the highway. 10 gallon gas tank. I knew every gas station in the county! It had a tinfoil removable roof with no roll bars or seat belts. That truck was fast. And off road it was a beast. It was broken a lot... Some of it design flaws some of it me. But I loved that truck!
    I had a 1975 CJ5 with a six that got 15mpg that I dropped a 327 300hp Chevy in, and it still got 15mpg. It was like driving a wall into the wind and needed the horse power to overcome.

Maybe there is something in the move to aero bikes.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    The odd thing is...

I drove faster and more aggressively in my 63 skylark, on the cheapest retread tires I could buy & a mushy suspension and loosey goosey steering, with the pesky seatbelts stuffed under the seat and out of the way, and an overflowing ashtray which may be on fire at any given moment, and often with a can of beer in my lap and a cigarette burning...

... drove more aggressively then than I do now in my GTI with wide performance tires, precise steering, performance suspension, massive brakes, belted in with both hands on the wheel except when I'm pullin' cogs.

I'm guessing it was the Cherry Bomb brand glasspack mufflers I put on the skylark a week after I bought it ($230) that made turned it into a high performance car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The odd thing is...

I drove faster and more aggressively in my 63 skylark, on the cheapest retread tires I could buy & a mushy suspension and loosey goosey steering, with the pesky seatbelts stuffed under the seat and out of the way, and an overflowing ashtray which may be on fire at any given moment, and often with a can of beer in my lap and a cigarette burning...

... drove more aggressively then than I do now in my GTI with wide performance tires, precise steering, performance suspension, massive brakes, belted in with both hands on the wheel except when I'm pullin' cogs.

I'm guessing it was the Cherry Bomb brand glasspack mufflers I put on the skylark a week after I bought it ($230) that made turned it into a high performance car.
    Ah, youth.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a 1975 CJ5 with a six that got 15mpg that I dropped a 327 300hp Chevy in, and it still got 15mpg. It was like driving a wall into the wind and needed the horse power to overcome.

Maybe there is something in the move to aero bikes.
    Those CJs live on forever because they are Frankentrucks. You can do all kinds of things to them! A 327 in a vehicle that canít turn!! Thatís so much fun! Did you have the 4 liter straight 6.? That was a great motor. My mileage was the transmission more than the 4 barrel V8. It was like my quad... Let off the throttle all at once and it was like nailing the brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those CJs live on forever because they are Frankentrucks. You can do all kinds of things to them! A 327 in a vehicle that canít turn!! Thatís so much fun! Did you have the 4 liter straight 6.? That was a great motor. My mileage was the transmission more than the 4 barrel V8. It was like my quad... Let off the throttle all at once and it was like nailing the brakes.
    Yeah, 232 ci straight six. It would turn, but I couldn't be afraid to down shift to slow it down fast.

After swapping engines my then to be future wife drove off with it. I was in a friends and saw it reverse a bit then go forward. I ran out the door in time to see it go around the corner. At the time she didn't know how to drive a standard trans.
    I stood in the middle of the street waiting for what seemed to be too long until seeing the headlights(high and close together) come around a corner a block down. The thing was barely moving and I just stood there waiting. When she finally got to me I pulled open that canvas door and before I could speak she just said "this thing is zooped up". I had to smile.

She was waiting while I ran into a friends for a minute. I got to talking and she got tired of waiting and decided to drive off. First time she accelerated and got pushed into the seat scared her enough that she just let it idle around the block. She enjoyed riding in it, but after that never wanted to drive it again.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    More and more e-things of all types on our local MUP. Scooters, bicycles, skateboards, one-wheel thingz...pretty positive all are illegal to have on the trail.

The bikes annoying me the most, as a cyclist. I'm so attuned to other cyclists, riding form, cadence...then I see someone in a full business suit riding with a cadence of like 25 rpm and they're going 35 mph. Totatlly throws up my cyclo-equilibrium.

Oh well. They ain't going away!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast