ebikes are everywhere!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

ebikes are everywhere!

So itís summer at the Jersey Shore! Now Iím seeing ebikes all over the place! People are using them to skirt traffic. What a clever way to head to the beach and run errands from your summer rental! A lot of our beachside infrastructure is designed to accommodate bikes and now ebikes are using the wide shoulders and MUTs. Mostly Iím seeing what look like efatties. I do worry that there will be a disproportionately high ratio of ebikes hit by cars... They are fast and the riders arenít locals. But anyway...

I have yet to see a single rotation of the cranks. Not one. They are foot pegs that are woefully misaligned.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    So itís summer at the Jersey Shore! Now Iím seeing ebikes all over the place! People are using them to skirt traffic. What a clever way to head to the beach and run errands from your summer rental! A lot of our beachside infrastructure is designed to accommodate bikes and now ebikes are using the wide shoulders and MUTs. Mostly Iím seeing what look like efatties. I do worry that there will be a disproportionately high ratio of ebikes hit by cars... They are fast and the riders arenít locals. But anyway...

I have yet to see a single rotation of the cranks. Not one. They are foot pegs that are woefully misaligned.
    Sorta like training wheels. They get around but never learn what biking is all about, and its right there under their feet!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    The more people that ride, the more justification there is for safe bike infrastructure. As dumb as it is, we as a society throw money at what is currently being used, not what would be the best for society. It doesn't matter if it's e-assist and someone's doing intervals as a workout on the way home, riding a cruiser, is a roadie who pins a number on, or is someone just hitting the throttle. You might view those folks as different than you, but the rest of the world doesn't. They're just people on bikes.

When someone rides an e-bike instead of driving a car, they require less municipal money for infrastructure, they save themselves money, they don't pollute as much, they're less likely to kill other cyclists, and the folks who use pedal assist e-bikes get a little exercise too. It's better for pretty much everything as far as society is concerned.

Yet cyclists who should be pumped there's more people using bikes instead of cars are somehow annoyed by more people riding bikes. Go figure.

Cycling "purists" bloviating about how terrible they are would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    The more people that ride, the more justification there is for safe bike infrastructure. As dumb as it is, we as a society throw money at what is currently being used, not what would be the best for society. It doesn't matter if it's e-assist and someone's doing intervals as a workout on the way home, riding a cruiser, is a roadie who pins a number on, or is someone just hitting the throttle. You might view those folks as different than you, but the rest of the world doesn't. They're just people on bikes.

When someone rides an e-bike instead of driving a car, they require less municipal money for infrastructure, they save themselves money, they don't pollute as much, they're less likely to kill other cyclists, and the folks who use pedal assist e-bikes get a little exercise too. It's better for pretty much everything as far as society is concerned.

Yet cyclists who should be pumped there's more people using bikes instead of cars are somehow annoyed by more people riding bikes. Go figure.

Cycling "purists" bloviating about how terrible they are would be hilarious if it weren't so sad.
    You speaketh the truth. I have a buddy that now sells the Wilier version, so I got to try one for the first time and it was actually a lot of fun. I can absolutely see what the attraction is if you arenít into the fitness or sport side of cycling. Itís just a good time on two wheels like a motorized scooter, etc.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

In the context of what I think you are getting at I completely agree with of what you are saying.

But speaking of cycling infrastructure. When you see a bunch of e-bikes doing 25-ish on a MUT clearly posted "no motorized vehicles" weaving in and out of dog walkers and parents teaching a 4 year old how to ride and so on........they become hard to accept. That has nothing to do with being a purist. I assume the lady pushing a baby stroller is as disturbed as I am.
    I suppose you're thinking; how is that different from a pathlete doing the same thing under his or her own power? It's not. I know it's more about personal behavior than e-bikes per se but when this behavior is seen 99% coming from e-bike riders it's hard to not make a connection.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Agree with everything so long as they don't join a group ride and get in the pace line. We have had that down here and that's where I would draw the line.

Russian Troll Farmer
    As to the people who don't pedal their E-bikes, well, someday they'll be caught with a dead battery, and they will have to make up for all the delayed pedaling!

On the MUT: I've seen more people bringing E-bikes there recently. I'm not as worried about the 'pathletes' going fast (sometimes I might even resemble that moniker!), because at least THEY know how to brake!

Had a couple newbies with E-bikes (hybrid types) show up for a club ride last year. They kept up with us for the first 5-6 miles, then they started slowing, and we dropped them. I assume their battery-free slog back to their cars convinced them to never try that again; they never showed up to another club event.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    e-bikes are closer to mopeds than bicycles. this isn't an introduction to cycling but an option that avoids the licensing issue associated with motorcyles and scooters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    e-bikes are closer to mopeds than bicycles. this isn't an introduction to cycling but an option that avoids the licensing issue associated with motorcyles and scooters.
    Right! Except Iím seeing Motoís or scooters really... No ped, all Mo. Itís a solid beach hack. Iíd like to see helmets... so far, zero on helmets.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Banned forever.....or not
    I thought that e-bikes had to be pedaled in order for the electric motor to assist the pedaling. (at least that is the rule in most States) Otherwise, aren't they just battery powered scooters, that need a license????????Ö..Are there two types of e-bikes???
    I met up, for lunch, with an old college roommate, last week, and he mentioned that he bought an e-bike. His wife jumped in and complained that he never uses it, and that she might take it over.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    It actually depends on the ebike. Grouping them all together (like most things) is a major mistake. I can confirm based on first hand experience that the Wilier and the Ribble are very much road bikes with pedal assist. Try one if you donít believe me. One of the coolest things I have heard about them is that my buddyís wife, who is not a serious cyclist, was able to go ride with her husband who is and they both had a good time. Thatís what itís about to me. That and the former cyclist that now has a heart condition or some other ailment and thought they wouldnít be able to ride again, etc. Love them as options for stuff like that. They are clearly not for everyone and every scenario though, but the truth is nothing is. Not even our beloved skinny tire road bikes. Different strokes for different folks I say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I don't know on the MUT, cause I don't roll there.... but

Those dam ebikes are all over the ads on all the web pages I go to..... guess it's better than ladies underwear... what?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I'm not so sure about this. As others have stated some of the ebike riders (usually the ones not pedaling) are pretty reckless. In cities where there is already bad blood between motorists and cyclists this will make things worse. Rather than leading to improved infrastructure, it may lead to bans. I don't want to be put in the same category as them

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    In the context of what I think you are getting at I completely agree with of what you are saying.

But speaking of cycling infrastructure. When you see a bunch of e-bikes doing 25-ish on a MUT clearly posted "no motorized vehicles" weaving in and out of dog walkers and parents teaching a 4 year old how to ride and so on........they become hard to accept. That has nothing to do with being a purist. I assume the lady pushing a baby stroller is as disturbed as I am.
    I suppose you're thinking; how is that different from a pathlete doing the same thing under his or her own power? It's not. I know it's more about personal behavior than e-bikes per se but when this behavior is seen 99% coming from e-bike riders it's hard to not make a connection.
    I cannot speak to other states, but in Washington e-bikes are not considered motorized vehicles and are allowed on multi-use trails. The only classes of e-bikes that are allowed on multi-use trails are 1 and 2, however, the types that are restricted to 20mph or less. The scenario you describe is against the law here.

The problem is not e-bikes. The problem is people doing things that aren't legal. If you saw five people in red cars driving aggressively and breaking the law, would you use your anecdotal experience to suggest that perhaps we should not allow red cars on the road?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vic bastige View Post
    Agree with everything so long as they don't join a group ride and get in the pace line. We have had that down here and that's where I would draw the line.
    Were you under the impression that someone was going to take away your ability to decide who you ride with?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I'm not so sure about this. As others have stated some of the ebike riders (usually the ones not pedaling) are pretty reckless. In cities where there is already bad blood between motorists and cyclists this will make things worse. Rather than leading to improved infrastructure, it may lead to bans. I don't want to be put in the same category as them
    Do you have any data to support these theories that you appear to have pulled out of thin air?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The faster moving electric bikes would be banned first, right?

These guys might be reckless, like more than a few roadies I've known, but they don't want to crash and fall off their bike, so manual riders can moderate their aggressive behavior so as to reduce dangers. When some dude comes up on you fast and can't pass, hold your line!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Were you under the impression that someone was going to take away your ability to decide who you ride with?
    No. In my area there are established group rides with regular start times. That's what Im talking about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Do you have any data to support these theories that you appear to have pulled out of thin air?
    We are predicting the future here. Mine is that a massive influx of ebikes on city streets won't be well received

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Don't worry, like everything else, those municipalities will see a revenue stream, consider them as vehicles that needs to be licensed to collect some funds and then poof, they are no longer an attraction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Came across this today and it seems like a timely message to share.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/c...e-bikes-426773

Russian Troll Farmer
    I cannot speak to other states, but in Washington e-bikes are not considered motorized vehicles and are allowed on multi-use trails....

Same here in NY, but who enforces it? On my MUT, I've seen E-bikes, motorized skateboards, even a couple old goat on Whizzers.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vic bastige View Post
    No. In my area there are established group rides with regular start times. That's what Im talking about.
    That's fine. Nobody is going to infringe on your right to choose who you ride with. If ebikes show up to the ride you are welcome to not go on it.

If the person who organizes the ride wants to make it a no-ebike bide, they are welcome to do so.

What's the concern?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    We are predicting the future here. Mine is that a massive influx of ebikes on city streets won't be well received
    We don't have to predict the future. We can look across the pond. The scenario you expect hasn't happened anywhere that I'm aware of, and there's a ton of cities where ebikes are commonplace. They take up less space than a car, take one car out of traffic, aren't as dangerous as a car, and don't pollute like a car.

I can point toward cities all over Europe where ebikes have been widely adopted and embraced. I'm not guessing. I'm observing.

What the what???
    I have no problem with e-bikes, especially in place of a car. My wife takes cortisone injections in both knees and an e-bike might be the only way she and I could ever go on a bike ride together.

It will take some adjustment, though, to figure out where this relatively new mode of transportation fits in the continuum.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast