Ego Sport?

Thread: Ego Sport?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

Ego Sport?

I'm as competitive as the next person / rider. I raced in my 30's for a local bicycle shop, but today (at 58) I'm out to enjoy the ride and continue to improve my over all health.

That said I do a few group rides a month, most start out pretty easy pace, get warmed up and all. Then about half or about there, seems that ego's kick in and the pace picks up big time. To the point that the last few miles becomes a cat and mouse game.

I'm strong enough to ride with the lead group (most of the time) but I find SOME bicyclist to air to the ego side of the sport.

OK I'm done now...thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    maybe try getting up front before or when this egotism starts and keep the pace more controlled. Or, try talking to some other people who feel similarly to you and have your own group within a group.

I have a group ride that I do most Saturdays. It is all levels and is usually tame but if certain people are allowed to get out in front just before the first climb, it stretches the group and turns into a higher tempo (not hammerfest) ride that some people are not into.

Good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nothing wrong or egotistical about a hammer fest from time to time. Don't like it, ride solo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    A few group rides around here are that way but it is well known, expected, encouraged and embraced. The guys that ride them are definitely there for training load v. going easy. I enjoy the competitive pace and riding with guys that can ride away from me at any time. It's good training to understand how hard you can push yourself. In general I always am trying to learn about my own strengths, weaknesses and general tactics.

With that said, being human we all have egos. Enjoy each ride for what it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think it makes it fun. I'm 44 and mostly done racing. But, I still love that end of the ride cat and mouse game. The only part that chaps my ass is the guy who does NO work for 50 miles, then comes up front and sprints to the line. Neat. And ya know he tells his wife "I smoked the field on the finish sprint..." Fine for a race... just seems a little douchy for a training ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I think it makes it fun. I'm 44 and mostly done racing. But, I still love that end of the ride cat and mouse game. The only part that chaps my ass is the guy who does NO work for 50 miles, then comes up front and sprints to the line. Neat. And ya know he tells his wife "I smoked the field on the finish sprint..." Fine for a race... just seems a little douchy for a training ride.
    Yep, that sounds about right. I don't get caught up in the asses and elbows finishes much any more.

That said I don't mind dropping someone half my age on the flats or hills, when I can, but I don't go looking for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The weekly ego-driven hammer-fest is an integral part of my informal geriatric training plan. I do tire of it at times, so I take a break and just ride solo.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I'm new to cycling and still in the weight loss stage and am slow. I just let them go. We all meet up at the same spot at the end of the ride or regroup points and go on with our lives...happier having ridden well for a few hours and gotten much-loved time in the saddle.

However, I admit I am a little jealous that they are so much faster and fitter than I am but they have years in their legs and I have months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I'm OK with people pushing the pace a bit on a group ride, but not to the point that it causes the group to completely break apart. I'm fed up with people who take it upon themselves to crank up the pace with absolutely no consideration for other people in the group. So I don't ride with them anymore. If you want to ride with a group, ride with the group. Re-group if everyone get spread out. If you want to show off, get yourself a F'ing license and enter a real race. You'll probably discover that you're not as fast as you think you are. And if all you care about is scoring points on Strava, get a life.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I'm OK with people pushing the pace a bit on a group ride, but not to the point that it causes the group to completely break apart. I'm fed up with people who take it upon themselves to crank up the pace with absolutely no consideration for other people in the group. So I don't ride with them anymore. If you want to ride with a group, ride with the group. Re-group if everyone get spread out. If you want to show off, get yourself a F'ing license and enter a real race. You'll probably discover that you're not as fast as you think you are. And if all you care about is scoring points on Strava, get a life.
    they actually have POINTS!?! I like Strava for the community aspect and tracking my progress. Actually breaking a KOM is out of my wheelhouse

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you want to ride with a group, ride with the group.
    Works both ways. I've been pissed on group rides where we plod along waiting on slow people. I'm thinking, "For *#$^ sake, if you're going ride with the group... " Again, it goes both ways.

But that said, most rides have "rules" or a format. If it's a "Hang or Drop" ride, well... ya better hang. If it's a "No Drop" ride, then the group will likely split into groups based on desired pace. Big No Drop rides are usually a hybrid - the front group will act like a Hang or Drop and the back group(s) will act like a No Drop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you want to show off, get yourself a F'ing license and enter a real race.
    How else do you expect racers to prepare for a race? Hammerfests allow us to test our limits and build strength.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Works both ways. I've been pissed on group rides where we plod along waiting on slow people. I'm thinking, "For *#$^ sake, if you're going ride with the group... " Again, it goes both ways.

But that said, most rides have "rules" or a format. If it's a "Hang or Drop" ride, well... ya better hang. If it's a "No Drop" ride, then the group will likely split into groups based on desired pace. Big No Drop rides are usually a hybrid - the front group will act like a Hang or Drop and the back group(s) will act like a No Drop.
    Most rides also have an established pace. If that pace isn't up to your high standards, than don't do that ride. And it's a lot easier for the fastest riders to slow down than it is for visa versa.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    You guys got me all fired up for my noon ride today, hit 30 miles and over some hill and flat work I pushed the average speed 18.7 MPH. Same ride that I use for training, with an average of 17 MPH.

Thanks peeps

Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
    Aug 2002
    The group etiquette "issues" will always exist. People make all kinds of assumptions about the ride, the pace, their comrades, other rider's goals, etc., and they are usually poor assumptions. If this is a legit group ride then it should have a ride leader. It's that ride leader's job to point out the pace and the etiquette of the days ride BEFORE wandering off on the ride. If he/she is not doing that then they shouldn't be leading a group ride.

If your group ride has no ride leader, and no one vocalizes the day's rules then you're not even on a group ride. You just happen to be riding along side a bunch of other blokes for the day, some of whom you may know.

If someone on your ride wants to do the group ride but wants to work a little harder than the pace would otherwise call for then that's simple too. That person can just ride on the front all day long, and if there's pacelining involved, they can take consistent pulls toward the front that simply last a lot longer than everyone else's pulls. And if you need an easier day? Never take any pulls and keep drifting to the back. No one is going to care except, perhaps, your ego.

As for the guy that never works but sprints toward the end of the ride? I have no idea why/how anyone could care about that. There are no prizes given out. Does he brag to his wife about his "accomplishments"? Hey, good on him. Maybe that's what he needs to feel good about himself, and who am I to care about depriving him of a little imagined victory. No worries.

If the group ride is hilly and/or mountainous, this is simple too. Let the guys who want to hammer go as hard as they need to go with the understood caveat that the group will regroup at the apex (and not ever at the bottom). Do the goats complain that they now have to wait too long? Nonsense. The ride leader should be instructing them to descend back down the climb again, and back up. This gives them extra miles, extra climbing, and no wait time. Win/win for everyone.

Who doesn't belong on your group ride? The guy/gal who listens to the day's ride dynamics but then ignores them all together. He attacks a paceline, pushes the pace up 5 mph during every one of his pulls, etc. Even then, you always have the option of just letting him float out there by his lonesome and going on about your marry way. No one ever said you it was essential that you hold onto a wheel like that.