El Tour de Tucson & Tucson residents
    $4000 bike - two bit legs

El Tour de Tucson & Tucson residents

I am traveling to Tucson next month to ride in the Tour de Tucson. I have raised over $7000 in contributions for JDRF which qualified me for this trip. I have a couple of questions for those who have ridden this ride...

1. What's the weather in Tucson (normally) around November 21st??

2. Gearing?? Are there hills, mountains on this route?? Flat??? Windy??? Should I ride with the 11x23 for the flatlands or the 13x26 for hilly rides or for mountains..my 13x29 ??

3. The ride is Saturday, but I am coming out early on Wednesday morning. I have a rental car and will be alone. As a first time visitor to Tucson, what should I see?? What should I not miss?? Where should I eat?? JDRF supplies us with good buffet meals on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings plus Sunday morning. But a buffet is a buffet. I have no problem venturing off for something special. Suggestions??

Thanks in advance
    Paul
    Paul in Northern Kentucky

Across the mighty Ohio from Cincinnati:
    The Obesity Capital of the USA
    (Explains a lot of the intolerance about us riders, huh?)

RoadBikeReview Member

In-N-Out Burger !!!!

Best Burgers and Fries in the world. And the only burger joint mentioned in "The Big Lebowski."

Also, if you get the opportunity - Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix.
    Look 566, Campy S R 11
    Litespeed Tuscanne, D A 9
    Specialized S-Works Hardtail, XTR
    Bianchi Milano cruiser, 8 spd Nexus
    Burley Tandem, 105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey Paul, check out PBA.com, it is a sponsor of this event and can give you a lot of good resources. Weather will be cool at the start 40 ish....but warms up during the day75 or 80. Yes there are big hill's but I would recommend your 11x23 casset, thats what I use and I think that if you have been riding and getting ready for this you should be fine. I would check out the Dessert Museum for sure it is a blast. Way to go with your fund raising and see you there. It is a great event! Be safe , MD45

RoadBikeReview Member
    P.S. check out some Mexican Food, probably won't find much of this type in your part of the world.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCL
    I am traveling to Tucson next month to ride in the Tour de Tucson. I have raised over $7000 in contributions for JDRF which qualified me for this trip. I have a couple of questions for those who have ridden this ride...

1. What's the weather in Tucson (normally) around November 21st??

2. Gearing?? Are there hills, mountains on this route?? Flat??? Windy??? Should I ride with the 11x23 for the flatlands or the 13x26 for hilly rides or for mountains..my 13x29 ??

3. The ride is Saturday, but I am coming out early on Wednesday morning. I have a rental car and will be alone. As a first time visitor to Tucson, what should I see?? What should I not miss?? Where should I eat?? JDRF supplies us with good buffet meals on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings plus Sunday morning. But a buffet is a buffet. I have no problem venturing off for something special. Suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Paul
    It get's cold in the morning. Some years it's in the low 40's at start time. Plan on standing around in the start area for an hour. If you have anyone with you who is not riding, have them hang out beside you at the start line. You can bundle up with plenty of clothes, then, when they play the National Anthem, you hand off your clothes to them. Otherwise, you could buy some cheap $2 winter gloves, sweatshirt, and ditch them at a rest stop. A thermal headband is a good idea. It will keep your ears warm in the early hours, and you can take it off as it heats up.
    It can get up to the low 80's by noon. I'll go off message and say most people overdo the hydration rather than dehydrate. They are told to drink, drink and drink, drink the week before, drink the night before etc. Most of them spend most of the ride with a full bladder and taking a dozen pee breaks. Hydrate just a bit more than you would for any other longer ride. This isn't Death Vally in July, and you have five hours of ride time to drink, sip, or gulp.

There's no major climbs. Most anyone capable of riding 100+ miles can use an 11/23.

A car ride up the 9000 ft. Mt. Lemmon will give you a great view of the city. An easy bike ride through Saguaro Monument East would give you a chance to see the desert scenery and keep the legs loose.

Give yourself plenty of time to hang around and explore at the Expo/packet pickup. It's like a mini Interbike.

You'll have to ask for food advice from others. I've lived on rice, raisin bran, apple sauce and spinach for the past year.

Thanks!!

I will be with a large JDRF group of volunteers so I will have someone to hand off my clothes. I'll check out the expo...and probably buy stuff I don't need.

Thanks!

...you missed one "A" in that webpage. PBA.com is the professional bowlers association. I looked and wondered why a bunch of bowlers would sponsor a cycling event?? Then I went to the tour's webpage and did a google search on Perimeter cycling...pbaa.com !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Weather is perfect- cool at the start, then mid 70's for most of the ride. Do as we do- go to Wal Mart and buy a stylish kit of sweat shirt and pants, then ditch them just before the start- you will be standing around for a long time (unless you like being at the back of 4000 people). I go with a thin mesh tank under my jersey and arm warmers for the ride.
    Also, at the start, please please please don't do like so many other wankers and try to cut up in line by stepping on/over those of us who got there early and have a good spot by saying you are "looking for your friends". We have no sympathy for that- have seen too many bikes tipped over/stepped on.
    The ride itself is a blast- the first 10 miles are an all out ass haulin to the first river crossing- don't worry, it's a dry riverbed. There is some nominal climbing, but it's short, so gear for flats. Lots of little rollers. There are always crashes because someone gets too close to the wheel in front. If you're not comfy with riding fast in a group of people you don't know, ease off just a bit. The roads can also be a bit choppy and pot holes are common, so keep your eyes up ahead- the person in front of you may not be paying close attention!
    The organization of this ride is excellent- packet pick-up is a snap, the expo is pretty cool, and there are plenty of aid stations if you need.
    Mt. Lemmon is a must- great climb, not too steep, but plenty long. Miles Ahead on Tanque Verde is a cool shop for bike needs.
    We have been doing this ride for years and love it.

crj
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    If you want a great steak or ribs you gotta go to Lil Abners. They cook'em outside on an open fire with mesquite wood. I might be wrong but it's located in what was once a stagecoach stop back in the day.

Joe
    "If it ain't broke the government will keep fixing it till it is."

Non-Wanker

Quote Originally Posted by AkbarnJeff
    Weather is perfect- cool at the start, then mid 70's for most of the ride. Do as we do- go to Wal Mart and buy a stylish kit of sweat shirt and pants, then ditch them just before the start- you will be standing around for a long time (unless you like being at the back of 4000 people). I go with a thin mesh tank under my jersey and arm warmers for the ride.
    Also, at the start, please please please don't do like so many other wankers and try to cut up in line by stepping on/over those of us who got there early and have a good spot by saying you are "looking for your friends". We have no sympathy for that- have seen too many bikes tipped over/stepped on.
    The ride itself is a blast- the first 10 miles are an all out ass haulin to the first river crossing- don't worry, it's a dry riverbed. There is some nominal climbing, but it's short, so gear for flats. Lots of little rollers. There are always crashes because someone gets too close to the wheel in front. If you're not comfy with riding fast in a group of people you don't know, ease off just a bit. The roads can also be a bit choppy and pot holes are common, so keep your eyes up ahead- the person in front of you may not be paying close attention!
    The organization of this ride is excellent- packet pick-up is a snap, the expo is pretty cool, and there are plenty of aid stations if you need.
    Mt. Lemmon is a must- great climb, not too steep, but plenty long. Miles Ahead on Tanque Verde is a cool shop for bike needs.
    We have been doing this ride for years and love it.
    I promise...I will not jump ahead!!

I might try a ride to Mt. Lemmon. I arrive on Wednesday, so I will have lots of time Thursday and Friday to kill. Besides, I always ride better the second day of a riding weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member

It's a Fantastic Experience!

Paul,

Glad you're coming down to do the ride. This will be my third year, and it is truly a great experience. It's very possible for you to ride the entire distance without every stopping for a light or traffic! The city supports this is an amazing way. At every intersection you will find traffic control giving the right of way to the cyclists.

Nothing to add about temperature or hills. Food: almost can't go wrong at any Mexican restuarant you walk into. Sights: Pima Air Museum and Collosal Cave are two I haven't seen yet.

Have a great ride!

Andy

What a great ride !

I got back Sunday from the Tour de Tucson. What a great ride!! That had to be the best mass start event I've ever done. Amazing organization.

I ended up leaving my 13/26 on the bike...it was overkill for the hills. I was one of those people who over hydrated and had to pee about ten times on the ride. With the JDRF group, we tried to stay together for as long as we could - therefore, my average speed at the end of the second river crossing was 15.9mph. I joined a different group and finished around with an average speed around 18.5+ (time on the bike). There was a section around mile 70 downhill where we were doing 30mph in a paceline fore about ten miles. That was a blast!!

I'm hoping to get out there next year and do it again. I would do a few things differently: not drink as much, carry more water bottles on me versus stopping, carry my bike thru the river beds versus push it (kills the average speed) and race the race versus just riding it. I think I could break 6 hours easily.

Instead of climbing Mt. Lemmon on Thursday, I rented a MTB and got lost behind our hotel. We stayed in the Star Pass Marriot resort. Nice place. I did see quite a few people down on the road - hopefully none of them serious.

Thanks for all of the input. I'd love to come back out and do it again!!

Paul

crj
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    How was the weather,did u have on too much,not enough or just right. The weather can vary 30 degrees or more from start to finish I hear.
    "If it ain't broke the government will keep fixing it till it is."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCL
    I was one of those people who over hydrated and had to pee about ten times on the ride...I would do a few things differently: not drink as much, carry more water bottles on me versus stopping...
    I don't think peeing in a water bottle is a safe thing to do while riding in a large group, but if you can pull it off....

Hmmm...maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse D Smith
    I don't think peeing in a water bottle is a safe thing to do while riding in a large group, but if you can pull it off....
    Maybe my syntax was all wrong on that sentence. Then again, it may be worth a try...but I'd probably end up "watering" myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The temperature was about 45 degrees at 7am and about 70 at noon.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX