tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

Electric Road Bike Explodes On Adelaide Hill-Climb Causing Bushfire

Point of Note: This was an aftermarket kit added to a Pinarello Dogma. Not an actual e-bike.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#49d12eb7d91f
    A 79-year-old Australian man had a lucky escape earlier today when the high-end road bike he was riding burst into flames on a famous ascent near Adelaide. Gary Ryan’s Pinarello Dogma F8 had been retrofitted with an electric motor, but the bicycle’s carbon fiber frame is now a “melted mess,” said a TV report on Adelaide's 9News.

“I was coming up the hill and my electric bike caught fire, so I threw it down,” said Ryan.

He added: “The guy who built my bike said I must have had a short [circuit] in it. Because that never happens.”

Ryan, dressed in Spandex clothing sporting the Dogma brand name, was later taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital with minor burns. A bush fire caused by his bike’s explosion was rapidly tackled by a fire crew in a passing fire truck and was extinguished. The bike exploded on an ascent of Corkscrew Road, 20 kilometers from Adelaide. The climb is one of the most noted in South Australia and has previously featured in the Tour Down Under professional bicycle race.

Soon after the battery on Ryan’s bike caught fire some CO2 canisters in his saddlebag exploded. These canisters are used by cyclists for emergency tire inflation.

Pinarello is an Italian maker of high-end bicycles, including road bikes used by recent Tour de France winners. It also makes electric road bikes but the one that caught fire is not one of them. Forbes spoke to Richard Hemington, managing director of Pinarello’s dealer-direct UK firm.

He said: “This highlights the risk of poor quality aftermarket kits that may be available to fit to any bicycle. In any example like this, there are other implications for the customer; warranty will be void on the bicycle and any insurance policy will be void which for third party liability is a huge risk, in this instance possible payment for the damage caused.”

Hemington added that neither he nor Pinarello have details of the aftermarket kit that was used on the exploding bike but “performance will be poor and clearly from this, the safety is terrible. Pinarello e-bikes are made to the highest standards in partnership with Fazua which conform to all legislative requirements.”

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Really? An aftermarket electric kit on a road bike? Deserves it.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    Not just any road bike, an uber-expensive Pinarello

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Are the authorities absolutely certain it wasn't just the carbon fiber that asploded?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    No disc brakes and carbon probably clincher rims. If not that he was probably using the wrong chain lube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    When I first read this I was thinking "would it be wrong of me to laugh"? He came away with minor burns, hmmmmmmmm, fried eggs and sausage? Aftermarket electrical motor on a Dogma, really.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dude was 79. Cut him some slack. Insurance will payout and he can get himself a real e-bike.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Because this happened in Australia, the guy is just lucky some enormous spider and/or angry koala bear didn't immediately drag him into the bush and chow down on his freshly BBQ'd thighs.

Thoughts & prayers, etc.

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    Good thing the guy didn't have one of those exploding cell phones mounted to his bars. I read on the internet two batteries burning together create some sort of nuclear explosion.

On the positive side he probably didn't have to shave his legs this week.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I wonder what Calfee would charge to fix it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    the battery?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yeah, that's not going to buff out!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Northern hemisphere battery... southern hemisphere motor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    Maybe if he was your standard MAMIL trying to hang out of his league. But a 79 year old? Props to him for getting out there.

Huge in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Yeah, that's not going to buff out!
    My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    Aftermarket electrical motor on a Dogma, really.
    With a Dogma, I would go gas-powered

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
    Bro, your dad was spy/black ops operations. It was just cover to protect the family. Even with ultimate tool set nobody on this planet can repair modern TV or printers.

Guy at Staples told me to buy extended warranty on these appliances and just bring them back before warranty expires, even if it still works. Nobody knows how to repair so they just give you new model. Works like a charm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Nothing better than a flaming pinarello.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Mine was on fire yesterday.... and not the flame kind!!!!! Hammer Down!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Northern hemisphere battery... southern hemisphere motor.
    Aha! Out of synch with the earth's magnetic field. Got it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    more power to the 79 year old actually still riding a bike! I sympathize with his desire to keep doing it on a Pinarello, but I think there are some other italian brands selling OEM ebike road-racer style bikes too now. https://road.cc/content/tech-news/22...-allroad-bikes

But it has not only been the oldies on ebikes blowing up, they had to curtail the Pro Tour race TDU due the extreme heat, into the 40s celcius. I wonder if both issues are related to the heat wave there?
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    more power to the 79 year old actually still riding a bike! I sympathize with his desire to keep doing it on a Pinarello, but I think there are some other italian brands selling OEM ebike road-racer style bikes too now. https://road.cc/content/tech-news/22...-allroad-bikes

But it has not only been the oldies on ebikes blowing up, they had to curtail the Pro Tour race TDU due the extreme heat, into the 40s celcius. I wonder if both issues are related to the heat wave there?
    So not only do these batteries weight a few pounds and run out of juice in two hours when you need it the most, but also explode under power in hot weather?

Sorry, I'll go with stops at the local Fast Food for a cold, fizzy, Coca Cola Classic! That'll cool down THIS engine just fine. It never blows up on the hills. It'll give me plenty of warnings before it overheats. i can add water to cool it down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Are the authorities absolutely certain it wasn't just the carbon fiber that asploded?
    Clearly it was. Everybody knows that carbon bikes are rolling ass grenades.