embarrassing "crash" today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

embarrassing "crash" today

Heading home from a ride today I tried to shift into the small ring before turning into my driveway but the chain dropped. My driveway has a decent incline to it so I started losing momentum quickly. I was able to steer closer to the grass before I completely stopped. There we no time to unclip so I just leaned and slowly fell on my side. It must have been hilarious to watch. I mostly ended up on the grass and other than a abrasion on my calf, I was unhurt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    No Video, Didn't Happen!

Downshift sooner or get a good mechanic!
    BANNED

Darling of The Lounge
    Nothing beats the rite of passage of falling over at a stop sign during your first ride with clipless pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Fwiw, shouldn't you be out of the big ring a little sooner than that and be doing a cool down spin? Unless you have a Strava segment that goes up to your garage door, I suppose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    When such events occur, you're supposed to get up and exclaim, "I meant to do that!"

Then walk away proud.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    When such events occur, you're supposed to get up and exclaim, "I meant to do that!"

Then walk away proud.
    Recent true crash tales:

A friend of mine and I were riding abreast, at a pretty good clip, and as we were chatting, his attention strayed, his front tire hit a patch of moss that had grown over the pavement, and --boom!--down he goes. Pretty hard, too, and totally operator error, he sheepishly admitted. Nothing broken, but some torn shorts and a lot of road rash.

We had also just passed a group of slower riders (NTTAWWT), and were about fifty yards ahead of them, so they'd witnessed the whole thing. They asked if we were ok while they passed us.

My friend and I remounted, and we were talking about what he'd tell his family when he got home, when we re-passed this group, and as we did so, I said to him, loudly enough so they could hear: "Wow, that was so cool that you were able to avoid that baby deer that jumped out in front of you! Who would've expected an animal to do that! Glad you and that fawn are both ok!"

After we'd ridden out of earshot, I turned to my friend, and said, "That's how you do a cover story."

True crash, the sequel:

I was out on my bike, JRA, and hit a minor, inconsequential bump, no biggie, except it caused my water bottle to jump out of its cage, and roll forward, skittering away, and then, as cylindrical objects will do, it circled back and under my front tire--boom!

I'm currently into my third week of crutches for that one.
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Donald Trump has never won a popular vote in a governmental election.

There are over 13 million covid cases in the United States (as of Thanksgiving), eleven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

Then walk away proud.
    I saw a dude who kind of did that. It was on a MUT near the beach and because of it, there was some sand on the surface at a turn. He's been about 20 yards in front of me for a mile and didn't slow down at that turn. The result, fishtail and crash. The first thing he did was to look up to see who's around which I thought was kind of strange and funny. If it was me, I would check myself to see if I'm badly injured or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    was on a Tues nite group ride that features a section with a steep descent ending in a 120-degree right-hand turn which then goes up a pretty decent grade...

bombed down the drop, braked hard to not overcook the turn, and stood up for the climb...but somehow forgot to shift to the small ring and stalled out to almost no forward momentum.

had a moment of reflection on the error of my ways, veered right and prepared myself mentally for the impeding crash, and then fell solidly into a lush thick patch of asian jasmine ground cover that someone had thoughtfully planted in their yard...

no damage to bike or body, but the ego was severely bruised.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not as bad as the lady I saw on a MUT last week that had her Jacket tied around her seat post or top tube somehow and had a sleeve get caught in the drive train/spokes and just almost endo'd. I was amazed she didn't go down. The bike stopped IMMEDIATELY and the rear tire was about two feet off the ground!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    was on a Tues nite group ride that features a section with a steep descent ending in a 120-degree right-hand turn which then goes up a pretty decent grade...

bombed down the drop, braked hard to not overcook the turn, and stood up for the climb...but somehow forgot to shift to the small ring and stalled out to almost no forward momentum.

had a moment of reflection on the error of my ways, veered right and prepared myself mentally for the impeding crash, and then fell solidly into a lush thick patch of asian jasmine ground cover that someone had thoughtfully planted in their yard...

no damage to bike or body, but the ego was severely bruised.
    I have had this happen a couple of time. On a hard climb, when the grade would kick up I would get out of the saddle and then my calf would cramp. I would lose momentum before I could unclip and slowly fall over

RoadBikeReview Member
    The light turned green and the car in front of me started to move and just as I clipped in the car stopped. I was too close to have time to unclip before hitting the bumper and tipping over. I'm pretty sure the driver watched in his rear vies mirror before shaking his head and driving away.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last month I witnessed an older gent on a E-bike, blow through a tight corner on a MUT, down a small embankment and into a barbwire fence.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Last month I witnessed an older gent on a E-bike, blow through a tight corner on a MUT, down a small embankment and into a barbwire fence.
    Yeah, I worry about inexperienced cyclists on those - I almost got hit by one on a MUT trail a month ago - was turning left to get off the trail to a parking lot, held my hand out showing my intention and started to initiate the turn when a gal zipped passed me on the left doing over 20mph in a very busy section with pedestrians - she's a wreck with injury waiting for the right place to happen.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Timm-BERRRRR!

Unlike the proverbial tree falling in the forest with nobody to hear it, your slow arc to the ground was probably accompanied by some muttering under your breath.

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    Dumbest one I every did was somehow hit a curb less than a mile from the end of a 50 mile ride. Just wasn’t paying attention.

A couple weeks ago I was riding an MUT, coming up behind a slower couple riding 20” wheel electric assist bikes. I announced myself before passing and the woman waved at me to pass, right as she hit a damaged section of pavement due to tree roots. She bounced over the handlebars and went down. I stopped to help her out, hard to tell if she was embarrassed or upset.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Wasn't there a Monty Python clip of a guy on a bike falling over?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Wasn't there a Monty Python clip of a guy on a bike falling over?
    Arte Shaw on a tricycle but this was on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh In".
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Arte Shaw on a tricycle but this was on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh In".
    I think you meant Arte Johnson. Artie Shaw was a famous big band leader. You can bet your sweet bippy I watched Laugh-In back in the day

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I think you meant Arte Johnson. Artie Shaw was a famous big band leader. You can bet your sweet bippy I watched Laugh-In back in the day
    Speaking of embarrassing crashes.

Yep, Arte Johnson, don't know why I wrote Shaw. I was trying to find footage on YouTube and managed to type in Johnson there.

Uh, I think.
    Too old to ride plastic

Banned forever.....or not
    I had one like that this year....There is a MUTT a block from my house that I jump on for three miles to get me to the open two lane road. The parking lot that I enter at is packed pot holed gravel. One day I noticed that they were going to repair it with some new gravel piled up at the side of the lot. The next day, I saw that the new gravel was spread out and looked smooth. As soon as i hit the new gravel, my front tire sunk in three to four inches, and I came to a quick halt, and proceeded to fall over onto very loose sharp gravel. I must have had 10 to 15 cuts on my left leg. At least I didn't rip up my bibs or jersey. I continued the ride, but cut it short after 45 minutes to go home and pick the gravel bits out of my leg....Note to self. Always check to see is new gravel has been compacted.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I was going up a hill one time, fairly steep, just staring at my front wheel when BAM, I'm on the ground. Looked up only to see a 6x6 foot orange sign that said "Caution Road Work Ahead". They really ought to put beepers on those signs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    A couple of years ago or so, I flew down a descent, passed a couple like they were standing still, but overcooked a corner after riding over a small bridge and completely bit the dust. I know I looked like a fool and I thrashed my shin pretty good. I ate lots of humble pie that day for sure.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Riding out the Schuylkill River Trail, as I'm wont to do countless times... after a thunderstorm had knocked down branches and even some telephone/cable lines, I came upon a scene of various debris in the trail. A sad, cluttered tableau, as it were.

A woman who was riding slowly around the obstacles while clipped in, fell and deftly rolled over flat on her back with her bike still attached to her feet, completely upside down, but otherwise displaying great form.

I asked if she needed help... at which point I kind of stopped moving while still being clipped in.

I had just finished the last word "Do you need help?" as I made contact with the ground, still clipped in on both sides. "Do you need Hel... *splat* help?"

She said "No" by the way.

I don't recall if she asked me if I needed help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    ... sad, cluttered tableau, as it were.

A woman who was riding slowly around the obstacles while clipped in, fell and deftly rolled over flat on her back with her bike still attached to her feet, completely upside down, but otherwise displaying great form.

I asked if she needed help... at which point I kind of stopped moving while still being clipped in.

I had just finished the last word "Do you need help?" as I made contact with the ground, still clipped in on both sides. "Do you need Hel... *splat* help?"

She said "No" by the way..
    Well said ... LOL.
    Typically I release do to a fall. SPD-L Blue cleat.
    rotate avatar left for correct road fit position

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Well said ... LOL.
    Typically I release do to a fall. SPD-L Blue cleat.
    I was probably so amazed that she was still clipped in but completely upside down and still in riding position that I forgot simple tasks like... unclip before falling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast