Endurance Bike
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endurance Bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

Endurance Bike

So my old bike has an original Di2 10s, and I want to go to a 34 cassette.....
    Probably end up costing over $1K... new RD, jbox, battery, wheel, cassette & crank (maybe could get by with the old crank, but). Cause Shitmano will not make a long cage Di2 10s any longer.

So, now the new Endurance Bike, they look like I can get what I want, except for threaded BB. I looked at Trek, Fuji, Pino, Giant and a few others all with pressed fit.
    Looks like I'm going to have to go with a pressed fit. The Fuji price is good, but has a praxis BB, are those ok?
    BANNED

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I think I read the new Specialized Roubaix has a threaded bottom bracket. (?)

Yep, alt least that’s what Velonews article says. https://www.velonews.com/2019/04/bik...-gender_492414

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Those are nice bikes, little too spendy!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thought that was interesting about the Roubaix also.
    Anyway, I have a couple of road and mt bikes with pressfit bb's and I've used both the Praxis Works and Wheels Mfg threaded adapters without a problem or creak.
    I'm sure the more knowledgeable will chime in but to me, they're an effective solution to a lot of creaking problems many complained about with pressfit bb's.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I have a couple of road and mt bikes with pressfit bb's and I've used both the Praxis Works and Wheels Mfg threaded adapters without a problem or creak.
    I've got nearly 40K miles on a Praxis press fit BB in a Ti frame with ZERO issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've heard more problems with some PR30 set ups. Haven't had any issues with my Niner using a Wheels Manufacturing 24mm adapter so I could use a shimano crank. No problems with my Domane frame PF90 (which as well over 20,000 miles on it).
    Last edited by Srode; 04-15-2019 at 12:15 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

T K
    wasssabi
    Bianchi Intenso, threaded bb and electronic shifting compatible. That would probably be my choice if going carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Bianchi Intenso, that is another great looking bike….
    It lists a Ultegra Di2 RD-R8050 SS 11sp, with a 30 cassette, will this handle a 34?
    It lists a PF86 bottom bracket, is that threaded?

The Specialized is crazy $$, I could get a big KTM for that $$. The Bianchi isn’t cheap, I could get a small KTM for that $$.
    BANNED

T K
    wasssabi
    I think you are looking at the Infinito not the Intenso.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    I think you are looking at the Infinito not the Intenso.
    U are right, but I was leaning for Di2 (or etap), which is the Infinito. On a retail site it lists the BB as a "Shimano BB-R60" what ever that is.
    BANNED

T K
    wasssabi
    [QUOTE=duriel;5308211]U are right, but I was leaning for Di2 (or etap), which is the Infinito. On a retail site it lists the BB as a "Shimano BB-R60" what ever that is.[/QUOTE
    Are you looking for rim brakes or disc? Intenso comes either way. And threaded bottom bracket. The price for the 105 seems low enough you might be able to upgrade it to electronic and still come out looking good. Damn those press fit bottom brackets. Nice to see a carbon bike from a major manufacturer that offers an English BB.

Pack Fodder.
    Get a Moots Vamoots DR. Endurance geometry, external cable routing, disc brakes, the option for threaded bottom brackets, tapered head tube, and serious street cred in any group setting.

I had one built up with Ultegra hydraulic and a lot of Moots/Chris King bling. Really a pretty bike, and it was certainly a comfortable, all-day ride. Unfortunately, my palate leans towards the racier side, so I let it go to a guy who would use it like it should be.

At this point, semi-custom is fast becoming the last remaining bastion of the easily-maintained bike. If Specialized is moving back to the English thread BB, it's hopefully a positive sign. I'm not holding my breath, though. Form always has trumped function for the major manufacturers.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I've heard more problems with some PR30 set ups. Haven't had any issues with my Niner using a Wheels Manufacturing 24mm adapter so I could use a shimano crank. No problems with my Domane frame PF90 (which as well over 20,000 miles on it).
    I have a 2014 Synapse Carbon with BB30 and the same Wheels Manufacturing 24mm adaptor so I could use a Shimano crankset. 8,500 miles and not a peep out of that BB.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    The Roubaix is indeed threaded, I think the prior generation was threaded as well.

Reading up on press fit, it seem like there are a number of factors to consider:

1. Manufacturing tolerance. Long story short, certain brands seem to build to a tighter tolerance, leading to fewer problems. Hambini did a nice study on this recently:
    https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bo...ering-opinion/

Based on Hambini's analysis, Trek and Cannondale are notably problematic, Giant, Time and Look are notably good. This jibes with what I've heard anecdotally from mechanics I know and what I've seen in people I ride with.

2. Some press fit BB standards seem inherently better than others. BB30 has a tricky combination of requiring particularly precise manufacturing and having a relatively narrow bearing stance, introducing more lateral load on the bearings. PF30 sought to address the tolerance issue by introducing delrin bushings into the system but doesn't fix the stance issue. Both standards aren't great. BB86/BB92 seems far less problematic in general. Note that it's still the only standard that Shimano supports and they generally do very thorough testing.

3. BB / bearing manufacturer. In general, SRAM press fit BBs seem to suck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    So... looking at other options.....
    I don't want to get a Di2 11spd with 34 cassette, only to find out 2 years later they are going to 12 spd and I can't get part/pieces.

So maybe sub compact. I have a CF frame and the FD Di2 nut is as low as it goes (it is at the lower end of the Di2 unit) in the sliding area of the frame. It looks like there are knockouts in the Di2 unit to move that nut up higher so the Di2 unit can go lower.

Anyone have any comments on moving that nut (the holes are not knocked out) up so the Di2 unit can sit lower?
    BANNED

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    So... looking at other options.....
    I don't want to get a Di2 11spd with 34 cassette, only to find out 2 years later they are going to 12 spd and I can't get part/pieces.
    Do you really think you won't be able to find parts for your Di2 11spd drivetrain once a 12spd comes out?

Heck, I can still find parts for my 9spd bikes.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Do you really think you won't be able to find parts for your Di2 11spd drivetrain once a 12spd comes out?
    Yup. When 11sp Di2 came out, they obsoleted the 6770 Di2 Rear Derailleur. They quickly became difficult to find. And now, your only option is finding the 1 or 2 of them on ebay and hoping to outbid everyone.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yea, try and find a Di2, 10 speed, medium cage RD. Good Luck my friend!

If you find one PM me, I'll send you a fiver or more.
    BANNED

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yup. When 11sp Di2 came out, they obsoleted the 6770 Di2 Rear Derailleur. They quickly became difficult to find. And now, your only option is finding the 1 or 2 of them on ebay and hoping to outbid everyone.
    Another good reason to stay mechanical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Err.. considering the gearing.. who cares.. there is so much overlap.. and really.. do you use that many gears.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    We have a 14 mile mountain climb, 5 miles away. And closer I got 20% climbs for .1 to .2 miles all over the place. So to answer your question.... YES!
    Going up on a low effort training day I want the 34/34 on those 20% climbs. Going down the mountain I want the '11'. again.... YES!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's a option maybe for your 10 speed - https://fitwerx.com/k-edge-long-cage...r-and-quicker/

If you want a 34 tooth rear on the new Di2, you need a GS cage, not the SS. I'm just now converting to an 11/36 on a RD-R8050 GS cage and it looks like it will work fine.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Another good reason to stay mechanical.
    Not me. I'll never go back.

It's a good reason to buy a new bike when they obsolete stuff.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks, I'll look into that Di2 10spd mod, looks like just what I want. Be easier than a subcompact. My bike is pretty new, rides nice, got 3 sets of wheels, etc. etc. and I am disappointed that no parts are available, so leary of getting another 'soon to be extinct' running gear that will also be out of syc with all my other bikes which are 10 spd.
    BANNED

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Err.. considering the gearing.. who cares.. there is so much overlap.. and really.. do you use that many gears.....
    This. I am not riding crits or racing. 11 speeds is nice, but not really necessary. Range is more important. I may not use that 34/32 combo very often, but it's nice to have it on the rare occasion, especially early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Not me. I'll never go back.

It's a good reason to buy a new bike when they obsolete stuff.
    I guess if you can afford it, go for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast