Estimating Distance On Rollers - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    What's the reason for wishing to somehow equate time on rollers to miles outside?

Where outside? X hours on the rollers may be "equivalent" (whatever that might mean) to y miles outside someplace flat (Rhode Island?), but z miles somewhere mountainous (Colorado?). Under what conditions outside? X hours on the rollers may be "equivalent" to y miles at 78F, but z miles at 30F. X hours on the rollers may be "equivalent" to y miles with a 10 mph wind from the North on a clockwise circular loop, but z miles with a 2 mph wind from the North on the same loop. Etc., etc. (traffic conditions, road surface conditions, whether riding solo or with a group, and on and on).

As others have said, roller/trainer sessions are measured by time and effort (HR, power, perceived effort, or the like), not miles. If you try to say something like "I rode 5000 miles this year, 4500 outside + 500 trainer 'miles'", then we will laugh.

-----

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I didn't read the whole of the thread closely, but if you are on rollers, a front or rear speed sensor should do the trick. Any computer, it seems, would work if it's not gps. Otherwise, you can get a sensor for the hub to track distance. Me, I use Zwift. Makes the trainer much more enjoyable, and given that it was 12F when I left the house on my commute this morning, and more cold and snow is coming, I'll continue to do most of my work indoors for now.
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

watts!

Quote Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
    I didn't read the whole of the thread closely, but if you are on rollers, a front or rear speed sensor should do the trick. Any computer, it seems, would work if it's not gps. Otherwise, you can get a sensor for the hub to track distance. Me, I use Zwift. Makes the trainer much more enjoyable, and given that it was 12F when I left the house on my commute this morning, and more cold and snow is coming, I'll continue to do most of my work indoors for now.
    Miles, in and of itself, is kind of irrelevent- others have summed up what really matters, which is effort expended over time. You need a power meter, and having an HRM helps too. I ride rollers with a power meter and HRM, and I know pretty precisely how a ride in zwift compares to a ride of similar duration on the road outside. The miles zwift attributes to various rides may run a bit high compared to a road ride (though not by much from my experieince-- it's not often that I get a well disciplined group of 30 or 40 riders to draft on the road, and that's pretty typical on zwift group rides! ;-). ...but, when I upload a zwift ride to Strava, I'm pretty certain that a ride on zwift with a "relative effort" score of 200 is dead on the same amount of effort needed to get the same score outdoors on the road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12