Ever heard of a cyclist hit by lightening?
    Roll Out Jeremy

Question Ever heard of a cyclist hit by lightening?

I had a thunderstorm follow me home last night. Made me wonder what the implications of getting struck by lightening would be. Does anybody know of a documented case?
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here in Florida we had numerous cases of people hit while riding there bikes. One case the bolt melted the bike and blasted the concrete under the bike. This occured at one of the universities not to long ago.

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I think I saw the weather channel report 500 lightning strikes on people average per year..
    about 20 die?.. I could be wrong.. don't feel like googling for results. I thought it was kind
    of low.

I guess most people are smart enough to head indoors.

Are there increased risk with hitension power lines above you??

Quote Originally Posted by maui mike
    Here in Florida we had numerous cases of people hit while riding there bikes. One case the bolt melted the bike and blasted the concrete under the bike. This occured at one of the universities not to long ago.

banned
    Jan 2004

Seen a cowboy and a tank crewman struck

Haven't heard of one, but there's no reason it couldn't happen. The tires give some protection in a car, but I can't imagine bike tires would do much.
    A cowboy here in Nevada or eastern California, can't remember which, was hit several years ago as he sat on his horse. I did a brief story for my paper, and my wife followed up with a piece on the aftereffects for Redbook, I think it was--some big women's magazine. He survived and went back to a normal life, but it took awhile.
    In Vietnam, I treated a tank crewman who was nailed as he stood in the turret of the tank. The bolt hit him in the neck and shoulder, traveled through his body and came out through an M-16 magazine in the cargo pocket of his pants where he was braced against something inside. He had first degree burns on the back of his neck and second/third degree in the shape of the magazine on his thigh. I only had him for a couple of hours, until we could get him evacked...about all he did was thrash around and ask for Nancy. I got a report a couple of days later that he had "serious EEG (brain activity) changes," but I don't know his outcome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    ... The tires give some protection in a car, ....
    That is a myth. The metal of a car acts like a Faraday (sp?) Cage. So, don't open the window and let your arm hang out. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I got hit by a spate of lightening once. I was drilling my chainrings and derailleur cages, and putting stupid-light and fragile parts on the bike to the detriment of function and comfort.

i eventually realized that it's easier, cheaper, and more functional to shed a few pounds off my body than buying atrociously priced titanium bolt sets to shave a few grams.

save your money buddy, don't buy into thinking that lightening your bike will make a huge difference with regard to performance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by bbagdan
    I got hit by a spate of lightening once. I was drilling my chainrings and derailleur cages, and putting stupid-light and fragile parts on the bike to the detriment of function and comfort.

i eventually realized that it's easier, cheaper, and more functional to shed a few pounds off my body than buying atrociously priced titanium bolt sets to shave a few grams.

save your money buddy, don't buy into thinking that lightening your bike will make a huge difference with regard to performance.
    Don't forget to drill out your water bottles.

..a trick of the light..
    I was riding up into the mountains in New Mexico into a storm, thought I'd be a tough guy. Lightening hit just off the road, a tree I think, and lit up the metal guard rail next to me. Like an explosion, white-out, crackling, and bluish electrical fingers across the rail.

I turned around.

..and too much caffeine, he thought.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimalist
    That is a myth. The metal of a car acts like a Faraday (sp?) Cage. So, don't open the window and let your arm hang out. ;)
    Damm, you beat me to it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Yes. One fatal in Sarnia, Ontario about 8 years ago.

It's in the game!

I was wrong

Lightening can strike a cyclist who is passing through an area that is going to be struck. The cyclist himself will not attract lightening but if he passes through the zone where there is a circuit created, he will get hit.
    Last edited by dagger; 06-22-2005 at 10:18 AM.

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by dagger
    I don't see how the charge can come up through the pavement, through your tires. So I don't think you can be hit directly by lightening.
    Air is an insulator also. Insulators can withstand a certain voltage, then they breakdown. Lightening can jump across thousands of feet of air, an inche of rubber isn't going to matter.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

It's in the game!

I guess you saw my correction

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker
    Air is an insulator also. Insulators can withstand a certain voltage, then they breakdown. Lightening can jump across thousands of feet of air, an inche of rubber isn't going to matter.
    Actually the air(which was acting as insulation) once ionized creates a circuit(like a wire)...you just don't want to be caught within that circuit once the charges cross that pathway. The cyclist will not attract lightening though.

banned
    Jan 2004

Re Faraday cage--you're right; my brain locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Minimalist
    You're right--I was visualizing that, but premature Alzheimer's kicked in and I fixated on the tires. I'm not expecting my bike frame to protect me, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

KaBOOM in Florida!

Didn't happen while riding but running. When I lived in Fort Lauderdale, a bolt hit a grounded transformer box about 15 yards from me. You know you're in deep s**t when you hear the boom and see the flash at the same time. This was so close that you could feel the heat! I had a good friend in Miami that was hit along with an entire vollleyball team. The bolt hit one of the poles on the court. Florida is no place to fool around if you hear thunder. Every year you would hear reports of numerous people being struck. Some lived and but a lot died.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Straight from today's road bike rider ...

Save yourself from a lightning strike.

Did you know that 22 million lightning bolts hit the Earth each year?

On average, 73 Americans are killed by lightning annually and hundreds more suffer debilitating injuries. About 10% of lightning victims die, while 70% suffer serious long-term effects that can include brain damage, personality changes, sleep disorders, numbness, dizziness and weakness.

That's all nasty news. And yet as bike riders in the summer thunderstorm season -- perched on a mostly metal object out in the open -- we're susceptible to becoming a lightning statistic.

Here are 5 ways to reduce the risk.

---Obey the National Weather Service's "30/30" rule. When lightning is seen, count the time until thunder is heard. If it's 30 seconds or less, seek shelter immediately. Storms can move at 50 mph. Stay protected for 30 minutes after the last rumble of thunder because lightning can occur 10 miles from the storm center.

---Get inside. The safest places are a substantial building or a car with a metal roof.

---Get down. If you're caught in the open, get into a ravine or ditch. If there are none, make yourself small by squatting on the balls of your feet or kneeling with your toes touching the ground. Experts say this posture may prevent lighting from passing through your heart. Get down right now if a thunderstorm is near and you feel your hair stand on end.

---Avoid lone trees and isolated stands of trees. Low bushes are safer shelter.

---Avoid metal objects. This includes fences, guardrails and especially anything tall such as flagpoles and power stanchions. It also includes your bike.

The odds of becoming a lightning victim in the U.S. in any year are 1 in 700,000. The odds of being struck in your lifetime are 1 in 3,000. Improve your safety by doing smart things when bolts are flashing.

Lou.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member

Are there documented cases of people being struck by lightning?

Quote Originally Posted by Fordy
    I had a thunderstorm follow me home last night. Made me wonder what the implications of getting struck by lightening would be. Does anybody know of a documented case?
    Hell ya. Doesn't matter so much on a bike, on a telephone pole, holding a golf club, in your back yard. Its never very good to be struck by lightning. If you really have to be struck its best to be in a car with the windows up or in a building. Believe it or not, it is lightning saftey awareness week.

https://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2...les_answer.htm

https://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories/s668.htm
    https://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/
    https://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/storie...ningsafety.pdf
    https://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/g...ingsafety.html

when is it obsession?

well..

Steel IS real... CONDUCTIVE
    "Oz was wrong: a heart should be judged by how much one loves...not by how much one is loved by others..."