Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Russian Troll Farmer
    OK, since most of us are cyclists of some type, just how many of you would EVER consider a cycling trip to Rwanda?? Somehow, I think we're being trolled....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    OK, since most of us are cyclists of some type, just how many of you would EVER consider a cycling trip to Rwanda?? Somehow, I think we're being trolled....
    OP not withstanding, my bucket list includes cycling the whole of Vietnam... I think most countries have roads these days. Rwanda sounds fascinating (from where they were to where they are to where they're going).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Ok. I've had one beer.
    You bid on a cycling trip and you''e not a cyclist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    That blew up. My half complete response got posted when I sneezed and hit the keyboard.

Aynyway

1. Not a cyclist and bid on cycling trip, with no airfare.
    2. Was there not a minimum bid?? I mean $4500
    3. How much did you drink?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lauridsen View Post
    Ok. I've had one beer.
    You bid on a cycling trip and you''e not a cyclist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    I would. Then again I grew up in South Africa so I am somewhat familiar the African continent and it's dangers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I would love to go to Rwanda. Especially if I had a chance to pre-ride professional courses and go on a wildlife excursion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Here are a couple of wiki quotes:

Tourism is a fast-growing sector and is now the country's leading foreign exchange earner.

Rwanda is one of only two countries in which mountain gorillas can be visited safely, and visitors pay high prices for gorilla tracking permits.

Cycling, traditionally seen largely as a mode of transport in Rwanda, is also growing in popularity as a sport; and Team Rwanda have been the subject of a book, Land of Second Chances: The Impossible Rise of Rwanda's Cycling Team and a film, Rising from Ashes.

As of 2015, Rwanda is one of only two countries with a female majority in the national parliament.

Rwanda has low corruption levels relative to most other African countries; in 2014, Transparency International ranked Rwanda as the fifth cleanest out of 47 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and 55th cleanest out of 175 in the world.

They've come a long way since their genocide in 1994, and have an elected president, although you don't exactly have 100% free speech there. There are only a few places in Africa that I'd never consider visiting, but Rwanda isn't one of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Cycling, traditionally seen largely as a mode of transport in Rwanda, is also growing in popularity as a sport; and Team Rwanda have been the subject of a book, Land of Second Chances: The Impossible Rise of Rwanda's Cycling Team and a film, Rising from Ashes.
    Rising From Ashes is worth watching.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bensonthetiger View Post
    When I said incompatible with my fiance, I meant to say she was pissed that I got it because I'm not even a cyclist! It's only for one person and does not include airfare. Last time I looked airfare ran around $1000.
    Holy smokes, you're right. Knoxville to Detroit to Amsterdam to Kigali is just over $1k round trip and about 30 hours of travel time, counting layovers. A bit longer coming back as you go thru Entebbe.

The more I look at details, the more I'm interested, but don't get your hopes up. As I said, I'm now technically unemployed and not quite retired. PM coming to you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    People who think they "win" an auction are buying into a frame that encourages overbidding. Compare how these two sentences sound:

I won an auction on a bike!

I paid more for a bike than anyone else was willing to pay!
    Best response on this thread!

My first thought was SPAM.

OP, if this is real and you're not spamming us, I suggest licking your wounds, taking it as a charitable tax write-off and stay off the freaken computer when you're drinking!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    I'm already licking my wounds by selling this for a loss. I'm fully aware of the situation I'm in, but why would I let a trip go to waste without trying to find someone who may be interested in going?

Also, I don't have enough time on my hands to create some elaborate lie to troll people. The only trolls are the trolls making fun of African tourism or my drinking habits, which I admittedly invited the last one.

For those actually interested in the trip, here are some more Q&A's about the trip:

• How exactly will people ride the route before the race starts? They get up early and ride before the stage start time. Stages don't start that early. They end at the finish line in time to watch the race finish.
    • How do you ride the route and make use of VIP passes at the start and finish of each stage? At what point do you ride in the team car and do you sacrifice riding one leg or seeing start/finish during this stage? If you ride, you cannot use the VIP passes at the start. You get to the finish in time to use them at the finish. Rides in cars will be planned on site based on race schedule.
    • When do I need to get there? The day before the race starts.
    • Once I get to Kigali, when/where do I go to hook up with the excursion? Or will I be completely taken care of once I get to Kigali and until they drop me off? We will pick you up at the airport or send a drive and take you back to the hotel, as well.
    • Pre-riding the stages - will they supply a bike? No. You need to bring our own bike.
    • Which stage do I get to ride in the team car? Will be decided onsite or closer to race time once exact schedule is known.
    • When is the Silverback expedition? (and more details, as in will Team Type 1 make all arrangements to get there) At the end of the race (unless something unique happens. TT1 handles those logistics.
    • Aside from the flights to Rwanda, are there additional transfers/travel required by the individuals within Rwanda upon arrival? No
    • Other than the flight, food and additional travel within Rwanda referenced in one question above, are there any other costs that someone interested in this trip should be aware of? Just the $30 entry visa upon arriving in Kigali and any money for incidentals and souvenirs.
    • The only other question I had was if you knew if any portion of a donation for this trip would be tax deductible. Yes. I can speak with the individual about what exactly is deductible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12