Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018

Ever Win a Bid at an Auction that you Didn't Want to Win?

After a few drinks I made a dumb decision at a charity event, bidding $4500 on a cycling trip to Rwanda that I would never go on. It was the shortest bid of the night (only 3 total bids), and no one else bid after me, so I won.

Now, I'm desperate to get rid of it. I'm currently trying to find someone willing to take it off my hands for $2500. Feel free to remind me how I need to quit drinking, your own story about a dumb decision at an auction or if you are my lucky cyclist who wants to ride the Tour du Rwanda!

All proceeds at least went toward Team Type 1 Foundation Team Type 1 Foundation, and the package includes:

• Behind-the-Scenes Access to one of the world’s most challenging and breathtaking professional bike races -- Tour du Rwanda!
    • Travel with Team Novo Nordisk as they compete in the Tour du Rwanda from February 24 - March 3, 2019*.

• Ride each stage before the pro race begins
      • Be part of the excitement with two VIP passes for every stage (start & finish line)
      • Hotel accommodations for all stages with Team Novo Nordisk at the official race hotel
      • Dinner with the Team every evening
      • Ride in the Team Novo Nordisk team car during one stage
      • One Team Novo Nordisk and one Team Type 1 cycling kit
      • Finish your unforgettable week in Rwanda with a silverback gorilla sightseeing excursion!
      • This experience cannot be bought on a typical travel site, so if you are a cycling fan, this is the trip for you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bensonthetiger View Post
    After a few drinks I made a dumb decision at a charity event, bidding $4500 on a cycling trip to Rwanda that I would never go on. It was the shortest bid of the night (only 3 total bids), and no one else bid after me, so I won.

Now, I'm desperate to get rid of it. I'm currently trying to find someone willing to take it off my hands for $2500. Feel free to remind me how I need to quit drinking, your own story about a dumb decision at an auction or if you are my lucky cyclist who wants to ride the Tour du Rwanda!

All proceeds at least went toward Team Type 1 Foundation Team Type 1 Foundation, and the package includes:

• Behind-the-Scenes Access to one of the world’s most challenging and breathtaking professional bike races -- Tour du Rwanda!
    • Travel with Team Novo Nordisk as they compete in the Tour du Rwanda from February 24 - March 3, 2019*.

• Be part of the excitement with two VIP passes for every stage (start & finish line)
      • Hotel accommodations for all stages with Team Novo Nordisk at the official race hotel
      • Finish your unforgettable week in Rwanda with a silverback gorilla sightseeing excursion!
      • This experience cannot be bought on a typical travel site, so if you are a cycling fan, this is the trip for you!

As a diabetic I thank you for the support, but as someone who quit drinking, I gotta say, Dude, what were you thinking.
    Too old to ride plastic

Proud luddite
    This made me chuckle but I might laugh fully if you tell us that the second bid was something like $500. 😁

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I did the same thing a few years ago, but without any drinking involved. I put in a bid on a safari to South Africa, because no one else had bid on it yet. (I just wanted to get the ball rolling, but never thought I'd be the high bidder.) We never took the trip -- we just considered it a charitable contribution and were happy we could contribute to a worthy cause.

On another occasion (involving drinking) I bid on polo lessons. They turned out to be a blast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... so no paternity suit, allegations of sexual misconduct and nobody died?

Get your shots, check with the State department and enjoy Africa (while avoiding any more booze)!

heh, I just noticed the OP's handle.... ROAR!!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    I did the same thing a few years ago, but without any drinking involved. I put in a bid on a safari to South Africa, because no one else had bid on it yet. (I just wanted to get the ball rolling, but never thought I'd be the high bidder.) We never took the trip -- we just considered it a charitable contribution and were happy we could contribute to a worthy cause.

On another occasion (involving drinking) I bid on polo lessons. They turned out to be a blast.
    Why... Why... As a South African... I can say you missed a great opportunity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Why... Why... As a South African... I can say you missed a great opportunity.
    Not missed, just delayed.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by bensonthetiger View Post

If you toss in airfare, I will write you an essay that will make you laugh...and cry

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I saw your original thread on this and thought that that would be a fantastic experience. Unfortunately, I quit my day job two weeks ago and seriously doubt I could take advantage of this (not completely out of the question, tho). I turned down a European trip with my brother and sister because I thought I would walk away from my job, which became reality. So I'm probably not gonna be any help, especially since getting there would probably double the price.

As I recall, you said this journey was incompatible with your significant other. Is this trip for two people or just one person? Is there a link you can provide with details about the event? Again, I assume getting myself to Rwanda is not part of the package, correct?

Worst case scenario, you should go and chalk it up as a significant charitable contribution. Sounds like a lot of bang for the buck.

p.s., I just cracked open my fourth beer

banned
    Sep 2015
    My advice is, instead of trying to shill your mistake off on somebody else, when dealt lemons, make lemonade. Why don't you strike up a relationship with the silverback gorilla as your date and make the most of it?

Here she is now. One bad whama jama. Don't rub her the wrong way now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ever Win a Bid at an Auction that you Didn't Want to Win?-go.jpg  

gazing from the shadows
    People who think they "win" an auction are buying into a frame that encourages overbidding. Compare how these two sentences sound:

I won an auction on a bike!

I paid more for a bike than anyone else was willing to pay!

The first highlights the competition with others, and sounds more positive, because winning is good. The second focuses on the actual economic transaction, and sounds like you might have overpaid. Think of it the second way and you are far less likely to overbid.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    ...silverback gorilla ...

...Don't rub her the wrong way now!
    A "Silverback" is a male Mountain Gorilla. The females lack that coloration.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Hopefully it was a write off!

Watch out for locals carrying machetes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    OH NO, just go with it!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I saw your original thread on this and thought that that would be a fantastic experience. Unfortunately, I quit my day job two weeks ago and seriously doubt I could take advantage of this (not completely out of the question, tho). I turned down a European trip with my brother and sister because I thought I would walk away from my job, which became reality. So I'm probably not gonna be any help, especially since getting there would probably double the price.

As I recall, you said this journey was incompatible with your significant other. Is this trip for two people or just one person? Is there a link you can provide with details about the event? Again, I assume getting myself to Rwanda is not part of the package, correct?

Worst case scenario, you should go and chalk it up as a significant charitable contribution. Sounds like a lot of bang for the buck.

p.s., I just cracked open my fourth beer
    When I said incompatible with my fiance, I meant to say she was pissed that I got it because I'm not even a cyclist! It's only for one person and does not include airfare. Last time I looked airfare ran around $1000.

I have a link with info so you can see that it's official, but there's not any different information than what I've posted. If you have specific questions you'd like asked, I can forward or put you in contact with the Executive Director at Team Type 1.

Link: https://501auctions.com/auctionforlife/item/1310009

Honestly, I probably had 3-4 drinks, so I felt the same way you did. Maybe I want to blame the alcohol more than my desire to just feel involved in the bid process. Ultimately, it was my own personality that chose to participate not a drunken stupor.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Even worse, presuming they are even more dominant.
    You sure nobody has ever painted one in an effort to create an imposter?

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    OH NO, just go with it!
    what I'm sayin'. Go - rilla for it.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Is gorilla glue male or female?

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Hopefully it was a write off!

Watch out for locals carrying machetes.
    Natives on the left and Go-rillas on the right. Better stick to the center lane, put your head down and hammer and hope for the best. Not now Jesus!

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Is gorilla glue male or female?
    Depends if you buy the silver stuff. We have a Go-rilla aficionado on the site that may know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Male or Female, if a Gorilla comes your way.. you let it do what it want's... or things get bloody...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    People who think they "win" an auction are buying into a frame that encourages overbidding. Compare how these two sentences sound:

I won an auction on a bike!

I paid more for a bike than anyone else was willing to pay!

The first highlights the competition with others, and sounds more positive, because winning is good. The second focuses on the actual economic transaction, and sounds like you might have overpaid. Think of it the second way and you are far less likely to overbid.
    These are charity auctions. The primary purpose is to donate money to the charity, not to get a great bargain on something.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Depends if you buy the silver stuff. We have a Go-rilla aficionado on the site that may know.
    Being an aficionado is not required to have very basic, elementary school level knowledge.

Kind of like you don't have to be an engineer to know not all Brooks saddles are leather.

gazing from the shadows
    These are charity auctions. The primary purpose is to donate money to the charity, not to get a great bargain on something.
    You are right of course, though the OP clearly regrets the amount spent, right? And regrets in such situations sometimes cause people to lower donations in the future.

My comment was on the linguistic framing, used for all auctions by many people. It was not charity auction specific.

Personally, I just give money when I give. No need to get something in return, no need for such an incentive to get me to give, if I am going to give. But I do understand why these auctions work, and move people who would otherwise give little or nothing to kick in higher amounts.

As for that trip, it does sound like a once in a lifetime chance. Were I a huge (as opposed to casual) racing fan, and single (because my cycling wife would not forgive me if I soloed on such an experience), I would do whatever I could to take that opportunity.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Being an aficionado is not required to have very basic, elementary school level knowledge.

Kind of like you don't have to be an engineer to know not all Brooks saddles are leather.

...or...you have wasted your life by monkeying around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast