Thread: Fabric saddles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

Fabric saddles

Looking at Fabric saddles, they make a thing out of their new method for making them. The top and padding bonded to the base (vs sewing or glue). Interesting idea.

Now, looking at the Versus Evo line of Fizik, they LOOK similarly done. Are they? Is the Evo line trying to compete with Fabric in that method of saddle making? Who wins?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    How does bonding differ from glueing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    I thought there was something revolutionary about the "vacuum bonding" from Fabric, no?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I have a Fabric ALM and absolutely love it! Having said that saddle is a very personal choice and one that works for others might not be the right one for you. Just keep that in mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    No no, I get that. I was asking whether the Fabric saddles were similar in construction to the new Evo line from Fizik.

Separate note: I REALLY want to try a Fabric Line, but several things are making me nervous. No dealers in my area to try one from. Also, I am on saddle #4 from my LBS. They push Spesh saddles, but none really synced with me. The shop owner made a comment one time about not liking the Fiziks, but thast is what I am trying now (Antares). I remember on my first road bike, which was NOT properly sized or fitted, I used an Arione and had zero issues. So, if the Antares isn't just right, the Arione might be Goldilocks. So, I think I like the saddle fairly flat. Also, he measured my sit bones to almost need a 155mm, but the narrower saddles suit me best I think. I was using a Cobb Plus for a bit. Talk about narrow (128). I have also found my upper hamstring to contact the saddle in an annoying way. I think with the narrower saddles, or just the shape, they work better. So, I don't know. The great reviews and low cost of the Fabrics have me wanting one badly.
    Last edited by billiegoat; 03-21-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Added info

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by billiegoat View Post
    No no, I get that. I was asking whether the Fabric saddles were similar in construction to the new Evo line from Fizik.

I am not sure whether the Fabric saddles were similar in construction to the new Evo line from Fizik.

Darling of The Lounge
    I am curious if fabric saddles would have a tendency to trap odors. I would figure that any rectal/taint-area funk would make its way through the fabric and embed itself in the foam beneath.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I am curious if fabric saddles would have a tendency to trap odors. I would figure that any rectal/taint-area funk would make its way through the fabric and embed itself in the foam beneath.
    FABRIC is a brand name, doesn't mean the saddle is cover with fabric

See here: https://fabric.cc/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Separate note: I REALLY want to try a Fabric Line, but several things are making me nervous. No dealers in my area to try one from. Also, I am on saddle #4 from my LBS. They push Spesh saddles, but none really synced with me. The shop owner made a comment one time about not liking the Fiziks, but thast is what I am trying now (Antares). I remember on my first road bike, which was NOT properly sized or fitted, I used an Arione and had zero issues. So, if the Antares isn't just right, the Arione might be Goldilocks. So, I think I like the saddle fairly flat. Also, he measured my sit bones to almost need a 155mm, but the narrower saddles suit me best I think. I was using a Cobb Plus for a bit. Talk about narrow (128). I have also found my upper hamstring to contact the saddle in an annoying way. I think with the narrower saddles, or just the shape, they work better. So, I don't know. The great reviews and low cost of the Fabrics have me wanting one badly.
    I'm in the same boat. On the ass-o-meter, I measure pretty wide (150+ as well I think), but wide saddles make my feet go numb. Every saddly I've ever loved has been around the mid 130s. I rode the classic 1990s Flite Titanium for many years and recently switched to the Selle Italia Kit Carbonio which is considerably lighter and fits me just as well. I too have been very intrigues by the Fabric saddles as the look a lot like the saddles that fit me well. But like you, no dealers near me that I know of.--Edit-- well looking at their site again, maybe I DO have some dealers near me. Will have to check them out. They list Performance as one of their dealers which I find "interesting."
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by survivor82 View Post

I stand corrected. I mustn't take things too literally

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've had my Scoop Flat for months and love it.
    Pop a wheelie!

Icicle Bay a.k.a. Beetlebaum - Black Cat Disc Roadie
    Tang (CX) - 198? Curtlo Cyclocross (she's heavy, but she's mine)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    I thought there was something revolutionary about the "vacuum bonding" from Fabric, no?
    Vacuum bonding is just a fancy name for saying they apply a vacuum to pull the cover tight onto the saddle base. No particular magic there. With vacuum you can apply 14.7 psi. With "pressure bonding" you can apply a lot more.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by survivor82 View Post

But what about the Brooks Cambium line? :-P

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    But what about the Brooks Cambium line? :-P
    Tried that saddle. It was excruciating.
    Pop a wheelie!

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreSF View Post
    Tried that saddle. It was excruciating.
    And this is why it's impossible to recommend a saddle. I use a C17 and it works for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    And this is why it's impossible to recommend a saddle. I use a C17 and it works for me.
    Certainly. I bought the C17 on reputation, and it ended up being not right for me. Ended up with a WTB Valcon, and that has served me well. Similar to the Fabric Scoop Flat in size and shape. The Fabric saddle is on my roadie and I have the WTB on my cross bike.
    Pop a wheelie!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    I measure borderline 142/155 on Specialized's ass-o-meter. BUT (get it?) I think I prefer much narrower. I got my bike fit with a 128ish wide saddle that the fitter was amazed didn't cause issues.

I think the Antares isn't for me, but I am looking forward to trying the Arione.

TheCyclingActor
    Had a Fabric saddle for a few months. Unfortunately the shape of their saddles just doesn't work for me. As far as the construction goes, while it is pretty cool technology they use there is something to be said for beautiful, stitched and well crafted saddles. It's kind of a niche market and in reality they could use the fanciest of tools but if it doesn't work for you shape wise you're are s.o.l