Favorite Pedals - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Pedals

flinty-eyed moderator
    Speedplay Zero Stainless for road
    Shimano XT or XTR for mtn bike, cross, gravel
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    first set of clipless pedals were some DA 7401s.

other pedals I've used are Ultegra 6600, DA 7800, and a couple pair of Look Keo Carbon IIs.

they all work fine. the first set of Looks had some occasional squeaking issues, but that hasn't happened with the second pair.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lots of love for Speedplay I See! How many of you are using them with three hole shoes? I see the advantages as, lightweight, super easy to clip in. Downsides, require maintenance, albeit minor, unclipping seems finickier per Roadcc. Similar weight to Keo Blades and similar cost (at a glance).

How does the float feel out of the saddle and pushing hard?
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    How does the float feel out of the saddle and pushing hard?
    Fine. Float is easily adjustable. Just bring a small Philips screw driver or one of those "all-in-one" hand tool with you when you ride and adjust as you go.

xxl
    Mark me down as one who's also found every clipless system they've ever used as working pretty well. I've just never really had anything that sucked, or was noticeably better at being a pedal.

(Even the Ritcheys I ran for many years, which have a poor reputation).

Currently running Shimano stuff, Ultegra SLs and assorted SPD models. They all work fine, and the only diff I ever notice is that the SLs are a mite less walkable than the SPDs, but still good enough.

Being a large rider, I don't dabble with any of the more "exotic" pedals out there, NTTAWWT; anything with a rider weight limit is just not for me.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    The Speedplay SYZR pedal looks like an interesting option for those of us who ride on and off road and would like one pedal system for both. Up until now, I thought the SYZR was just another SPD knock-off, but after watching the promo video, I think the design has some merit...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    The Speedplay SYZR pedal looks like an interesting option for those of us who ride on and off road and would like one pedal system for both. Up until now, I thought the SYZR was just another SPD knock-off, but after watching the promo video, I think the design has some merit...
    I tried the Syzr a few years back. I'm a pretty big guy, and the problem I had with them is that they would occasionally disengage at the most inopportune times. It seems a known issue with them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Been riding with Look clipless pedals since they became available. (Yes, I am old). I always keep the pedals clean and replace cleats when worn. Still, I got tired of having to flip the pedals when clipping in and occasionally missing during group rides. Unclipping has a bit of resistance and was getting tiresome on rides with lots of stop and go.

Did some research and decided to switch to Speedplay Ultra Light Action pedals. I did not make this switch lightly as the costs are significant.
    What I have found so far:
    1. Clip in takes a little bit of time to get used to, but becomes second nature. Pedal position is immaterial and simple flat push down results in a definitive clip.
    2. Clip out is almost without resistance with a lateral outward movement of the heel.
    3. Retention is fantastic. I have had no issues when pedaling hard on flats or strong hill climbing. I don’t race so I can’t comment.
    4. I love the free float. If i am riding and not thinking about my pedals it becomes invisible but takes all the stress off my knees. Not everyone likes this. For those people speedplay zeros with adjustable float might be more appropriate.

Some thoughts:
    1. Look pedals and cleats are easy to mount and almost maintenance free. Speedplay cleats require more care in mounting and routine maintenance. Mounting the cleats on your shoes can seem daunting when first looking at the instructions. I purchased the speedplay torque driver so all screws were properly tightened. Too loose and the cleat does not stay stable. Too tight and the cleat can bind affecting entry and release. I mounted the walkable cleats on three pairs of shoes. First pair took over 20 minutes, second and third pair took 5 minutes.
    2. Speedplay cleats require a bit more maintenance, but not that much. A few drops of Teflon dry lube on the cleats after several rides. Keeping the cleat debris free. Not much of an issue for road riders.
    3. Tha walkable cleat is amazing compared to the Look cleat. Much lower cleat height. Built in cover makes dismounting and walking a breeze. A supplied internal cleat protector attaches with a 1/2 turn to protect the cleat while walking in a dirt environment keeping the cleat clean.

For me, despite the cost, a great move.
    Last edited by 1Lieutenant; 03-22-2020 at 09:04 AM.
    Steve
    Lynskey R300 disc SRAM 1x
    Lynskey titaniium seatpost
    Speedplay ultralight action pedals
    SMP Drakon saddle
    Redshift shock absorption stem
    Mavic Pro Carbon wheels
    Man I love this bike....

Look 566 Rival (Still here but on my trainer)
    Look 765 up for sale (still a great bike!)

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Fine. Float is easily adjustable. Just bring a small Philips screw driver or one of those "all-in-one" hand tool with you when you ride and adjust as you go.
    Be careful here. The original Speedplays (I guess these are x0 now) have no adjustment. They pretty much just float until they release. This is the sensation frequently referred to as “walking on ice”. I’ve never had a problem with this, but some riders just can’t abide it.

One of the big reasons I like these is that there is no “center”. I can alter my foot position a bit to relieve my old knees without in any way affecting the performance of the pedal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    This is the sensation frequently referred to as “walking on ice”. I’ve never had a problem with this, but some riders just can’t abide it.
    Yes, I know the feel. It happens when I open the float adjustment gab more than half way. Good thing about Zero is that the float can be centered away from the mid point. It's more customizable than other brands.

Now only if Speedplay can also customize the spring load...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Do you like them? I've been considering a pair of stomps for my "deep winter" bike, because then I could wear my actual winter boots, and not my winter cyclng shoes.

(Don't get me wrong, I luv my winter cycling shoes, but even my best ones leave my feet cold after a couple of hours if it's below freezing).
    It's a pretty standard flat pedal with the hex screw pins. I don't put many miles or much stress on them, so they seem to be holding up fine. I don't really use them enough to give a definitive review.

Pack Fodder.
    My favorite pedals are Shimano Dura Ace 7810s. I think I have them on five or six bikes now. The 7800s had plastic plates that wore out, but the 7810s have been rock-solid for me. Since the vast majority of my bikes are from the 2002-2012 era, they just look right. Anodized pedals just seem somewhat... off. But the main reason I run them is I can get Dura Ace quality (3 bearing spindle) for cheap on the used market. A little careful shopping at opportune moments yields good deals for mint examples.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Still using Time RXS pedals because the new Time pedals seem to have sketchy reviews regarding durability and I don't want to replace them for all my bikes...

For the SS and MTB I use multi-release SPD. I like how loosely they engage.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Banned Sock Puppet
    SPD M530 for road, mountain, gravel, etc. Cheap and super reliable!
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Look Keo2 Max.
    They just work

Eddy 53:11
    I have 5 pairs of Campy Profit pedals for basically ever. Never had any issues.

I JUST switched to Shimano DA 9100 cause everyone seems to say they are "it."

I really wanted LOOK Keo Carbon Blades, but I fear the possible LOOK "creak" and I hear
    the Keo's also somehow "shift side-to-side" while yer foot is clipped in. IDK . . . HTH
    Last edited by JetSpeed; 04-02-2020 at 01:11 AM.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I run SPD's on my road, gravel, mtb and fat bike. I keep 520's on my fatbike because they are cheap and I don't feel bad when they get all covered in salty slush and get rusty. I have the xtr version on my mtb where I'm most worried about weight, I have 540's on my gravel and road bikes.
    Joe Biden: a case study in dementia.

Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    I run SPD's on my road, gravel, mtb and fat bike. I keep 520's on my fatbike because they are cheap and I don't feel bad when they get all covered in salty slush and get rusty. I have the xtr version on my mtb where I'm most worried about weight, I have 540's on my gravel and road bikes.
    520's are cheap and reliable. Over 7K miles before I switched to 530's.

I had a pair of Crank Brothers Eggbeaters that broke at 2K miles - JUNK. Never again!
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    SPD M530 for road, mountain, gravel, etc. Cheap and super reliable!
    My favorite as well. I added set screws to the flat side for some added grip on that side.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    My favorite as well. I added set screws to the flat side for some added grip on that side.
    M530's are double sided:

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-PD-M5.../dp/B07XQLL7FF

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Oops, mine are the A530 with the pins on the flat side.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    I use Time pedals on both my road bikes and off road. Float and mud shedding off road are great and the road pedals (espresso) are very easy to engage and disengage with good float angular and lateral. The road cleats do get chewed up if you walk any great distance on them, I get 18 months from a set typically but I usually ride from door to door. I've been using Time road pedals since the mid nineties and my trainer still has Equipes on it.
    Same here. Have ridden Time since the early '90s, I think they still have the lowest stack height (not that that's a huge issue TBF), are close to the lightest out there (right there with Speedplay) and large platform. My only beef is the cleat/pedal interface can be or get squeaky. I've yet to find a reliable fix to the problem and have tried everything from just squirting some water on them, lube, even teflon tape. Nothing seems to work in all cases (I have several bikes) or for the long term. It usually eventually goes away, but can often recur at random intervals. Any Time users have a solid solution?
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

Matnlely Dregaend
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Same here. Have ridden Time since the early '90s, I think they still have the lowest stack height (not that that's a huge issue TBF), are close to the lightest out there (right there with Speedplay) and large platform. My only beef is the cleat/pedal interface can be or get squeaky. I've yet to find a reliable fix to the problem and have tried everything from just squirting some water on them, lube, even teflon tape. Nothing seems to work in all cases (I have several bikes) or for the long term. It usually eventually goes away, but can often recur at random intervals. Any Time users have a solid solution?
    Which pedal version? I have about 10 pairs of RXS pedals ranging from First pedals to Ulteam Ti ones and all of them have been completely silent for more than a decade.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

evs
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I know it's a bit unorthodox but I use Crank Brothers eggbeaters with mtb shoes. I like to walk around lol. And they have 4 sides of entry, click boom I'm gone no fuss and cleaning and maintence is super easy. Plus they are really light. Did lots of long fast rides on them without issue.
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Which pedal version? I have about 10 pairs of RXS pedals ranging from First pedals to Ulteam Ti ones and all of them have been completely silent for more than a decade.
    XPros of various levels. I think the RXS cleats still had the brass rear cleat? I think that might be part of the difference.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast