Favorite Pedals
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: Favorite Pedals

  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,476

    Favorite Pedals

    Hi all, Iím interested in what your preferences are in pedals, and more specifically, why you prefer what you ride. I was about to buy another set of Look Keo Blades, and I like them, I like the definitive click when you engage. One niggle.... They are really light, which is great, but they donít always come to rest nose up. I have mastered a little tap I do before I click in to make sure they are pointing up. Still, now and agin I miss a clip in.

    No rep for posting Pitbulll Pedals!!!! Hahaha!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    754
    I've been using speedplay zero's on road for a long long time (I think they were called X2 before the Zero came out). I like the walkability, the float, the straight down engagement (vs toe in the down), and the pedals are very durable as long as you keep them and your cleats clean.

    I use SPD's (Shimano XT) on gravel the last two years as I've ventured further into the unknowns. The durability of the shoes/soles/cleats is fist and foremost, followed closely by the walkability of the shoes, an consistency of the engagement vs most other 'offroad' pedal platforms.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I've been using speedplay zero's on road for a long long time (I think they were called X2 before the Zero came out). I like the walkability, the float, the straight down engagement (vs toe in the down), and the pedals are very durable as long as you keep them and your cleats clean.

    I use SPD's (Shimano XT) on gravel the last two years as I've ventured further into the unknowns. The durability of the shoes/soles/cleats is fist and foremost, followed closely by the walkability of the shoes, an consistency of the engagement vs most other 'offroad' pedal platforms.
    Thanks, thatís exactly the kind of help I was asking for in thinking about next pedals. Question, when you say ďkeep them clean,Ē can you say more? I havenít touched my Blades ever except to wipe them down with a green wipe when I clean my bike once in a while. They get exposed to rain and crud. On road only though, so not mega-crud. This style of pedal looks overly complicated to me compared to the simplicity of a blade. Albeit, I am considering them in the possible switch. The super ease of clipping in looks like a big plus.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    121
    Shimano SPD-L Ultegra LOCK DOWN DA BALL RIDE THE ROAD.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: upstateSC-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,706
    Big speedplay fan here, I have both the x2 and x5 models. Love the super quick engagement and stable feel although I've heard others complain about the float. Can't say I've ever cleaned mine, just inspected cleat hardware/springs once in a while, lube the pedals twice/year and lube the springs with chain-lube once/month. My saddle is probably the only thing that I perform less maintenance on.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,692
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Hi all, Iím interested in what your preferences are in pedals, and more specifically, why you prefer what you ride. I was about to buy another set of Look Keo Blades, and I like them, I like the definitive click when you engage. One niggle.... They are really light, which is great, but they donít always come to rest nose up. I have mastered a little tap I do before I click in to make sure they are pointing up. Still, now and agin I miss a clip in.

    No rep for posting Pitbulll Pedals!!!! Hahaha!
    I've been using Look pedals since 1990. That said, I think all the major pedals: Look, Speedplay, Shimano, are highly refined products and are all good choices. I have 5 bikes so using the same pedals across all of them makes switching harder.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GDTRFB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242
    Favero Assioma.

    Look-compatible, lightweight power meter pedals.
    At least I'm enjoying the ride.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    938
    I've always had Looks. Even the Ultegra and DuraAce pedals I had way back were really Looks.

    Now I use the Keo2Max pedals on both bikes. I always used the spring loaded pedals and they perform well and are pretty light, especially for the price. I also like a large platform underfoot.

    Chances are they are going to behave the same as your Keo Blades though.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I've been using speedplay zero's on road for a long long time (I think they were called X2 before the Zero came out). I like the walkability, the float, the straight down engagement (vs toe in the down), and the pedals are very durable as long as you keep them and your cleats clean.

    I use SPD's (Shimano XT) on gravel the last two years as I've ventured further into the unknowns. The durability of the shoes/soles/cleats is fist and foremost, followed closely by the walkability of the shoes, an consistency of the engagement vs most other 'offroad' pedal platforms.
    I wonder if you and I are identical twins separated at birth...
    Those two are what I own. Both are easy on / off. Speedplay can adjust float but not the spring load whereas Shimano SPD can adjust the spring load but not the float. Both are easily walkable with SPD being little better at it.

  10. #10
    Darling of The Lounge
    Reputation: Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    4,570
    More love for Speedplay here. Been using X-1's for well over two decades.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,994
    I use Time pedals on both my road bikes and off road. Float and mud shedding off road are great and the road pedals (espresso) are very easy to engage and disengage with good float angular and lateral. The road cleats do get chewed up if you walk any great distance on them, I get 18 months from a set typically but I usually ride from door to door. I've been using Time road pedals since the mid nineties and my trainer still has Equipes on it.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,383
    I like shimano road pedals for the following reasons.

    -seemingly indestructible.
    -cleats last a long time and are easy to find at most any shop
    -No cleat covers needed
    -Not finicky after walking in sand or mud. (there is a limit to this, but nothing a quick squirt of water doesn't take care of)
    -pretty good for walking
    -float seems perfect for me
    -engagement is easy and consistent. Though it did take me some time to get used to it.

    Despite listing positive for walking and stuff like that though I do use their mountain pedals for cross and 'around town' running errands and such.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: nova_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    290
    Been riding Look since the late 80s, preferred Keo more so than Delta. Currently have Max, Blade, and Look/Polar power meter, and use Spd for non-road rides. I do almost no maintenance on the Look pedals. Quick spray of WD-40 after a bike wash is usually all they get. The non-slip cleat design was a needed improvement, but still use covers to keep out the crud. No real reasons to change as they simply work and moving to something else would likely be just a lateral move.

    Spd's cleat design is better, but the pedal tends to be heavy and no float is available. On the other hand, there are far better casual/winter footwear selections with Spds, so they are more versatile than pure road pedals.

    My better half rides Speedplay, but watching her struggle to click-in is painful. Most of the time she simply ride unclipped, and will literally bounce up and down trying to clip in. She says they require regular lube and adjustments, and she does these but it doesn't seem to help. Granted I don't have many data points, but seeing how they work for her, I'm not touching these.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    21,281
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    My better half rides Speedplay, but watching her struggle to click-in is painful. Most of the time she simply ride unclipped, and will literally bounce up and down trying to clip in. She says they require regular lube and adjustments, and she does these but it doesn't seem to help. Granted I don't have many data points, but seeing how they work for her, I'm not touching these.
    My wife rides Speedplays as well and she never has any problems clicking in. Funny that.
    Last edited by Kerry Irons; 03-23-2020 at 07:46 AM.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Thanks, thatís exactly the kind of help I was asking for in thinking about next pedals. Question, when you say ďkeep them clean,Ē can you say more? I havenít touched my Blades ever except to wipe them down with a green wipe when I clean my bike once in a while. They get exposed to rain and crud. On road only though, so not mega-crud. This style of pedal looks overly complicated to me compared to the simplicity of a blade. Albeit, I am considering them in the possible switch. The super ease of clipping in looks like a big plus.
    If your cleats or pedals are gritty or dirty, they will wear quicky.

    I have a microfiber cleaning cloth (the kind you might wash windows with - not the small eyeglass ones) that I keep damp with Boeshield T9. After a ride, I just wipe the pedal and exposed cleat surface down with the cloth. That's about all you need.

    I live in an area where it's wet and there is lots of road grime. This process may not be necessary (at least as frequently) if you life where it's dry.

    The bonus is, the Boeshield also acts as a lubricant (it leaves a thin layer of wax behind) for the cleat and pedal making egagement even easier).

    FWIW, I wipe down my entire bike with Boeshield every other week or so (more frequently if I'm on the trainer), and everything looks shiny and new.

    Don't slather it on, it will make a mess. Just a the dampened cloth I mentioned earlier. And don't get it on brake tracks or pads. I don't use it as a chain/drivetrain lube (it's pretty terrible for that purpose compared other products). It's the perfect wipe-down to keep my Titanium frame bike looking showroom shiny.

    No, I don't have any vested interest in it. Just find the stuff works really well for this purpose.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by GDTRFB View Post
    Favero Assioma.

    Look-compatible, lightweight power meter pedals.
    I have a set of these, and I agree with you that they are a great value for power meter pedals. Sadly, the XPedo cleats are terrible.

    I converted mine to SPD's using XPedo MTB pedals (same spindle). Now I have a set of PM pedals for my gravel bikes =)

    FYI, there is a tutorial on Shane Miller (GPLama) youtube channel showing how to convert them

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    My better half rides Speedplay, but watching her struggle to click-in is painful. Most of the time she simply ride unclipped, and will literally bounce up and down trying to clip in. She says they require regular lube and adjustments, and she does these but it doesn't seem to help. Granted I don't have many data points, but seeing how they work for her, I'm not touching these.
    My girlfriend tried Speedplay Zeros. She's all of 5' 2" and a hundred nothing. She had a little trouble with the engagement when they were new.

    We switched her to the Speedplay Ultralight action, and she is very happy with them. Just know that the ultralight action cleats are not compatible with Zero's and vice-versa.

    Edit to add: make sure the four screws holding the cleat to the base are not overtightened. They require very little torque (two or three clicks if I recall). If they are too tight, or if the base is warped (use the correct wedges for your shoe sole), it will cause the retention spring to bind, making engagement/disengagement a bit of a challenge.

  18. #18
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    11,733
    VP platforms on all my bikes. Free the feet!

    I'll show myself out...
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

    I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    VP platforms on all my bikes. Free the feet!

    I'll show myself out...
    For my town bike (that I can't remember the last time I rode), I use Crank Brother Stamp 2 flat pedals. /shrug

  20. #20
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,916
    Crank Bros Candy.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,340
    Iíve ridden Time, Look and Dura Ace. The Dura Ace R9000/9100 pedal is simply unbeatable in any category. Properly weighted, brilliant bearings that last seemingly forever and the blue 2 degree cleats are great. Iíve had issues with all other pedals other than these.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    The Dura Ace R9000/9100 pedal is simply unbeatable in any category.
    While I can't argue with the above, some food for thought...

    Dura-Ace PD-R9100 - $228 - 234g
    Ultegra PD-R8000 - $150 - 248g
    105 PD-R7000 - $94 - 265g
    PD-RS500 - $50 - 320g <-- Best deal... most pedal for least money!

    I typically go Ultegra as a compromise between my weight-weenie tendencies and my desire to not go broke on bike parts.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Spd's cleat design is better, but the pedal tends to be heavy and no float is available.
    Regarding float, both SPDs and SPD-SL pedals have float abilities. For the SPD-SL, it comes down to the cleat...

    Shimano: Choosing The Right Shimano SPD-SL Road Cleat For You


  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,751
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    While I can't argue with the above, some food for thought...

    Dura-Ace PD-R9100 - $228 - 234g
    Ultegra PD-R8000 - $150 - 248g
    105 PD-R7000 - $94 - 265g
    PD-RS500 - $50 - 320g <-- Best deal... most pedal for least money!

    I typically go Ultegra as a compromise between my weight-weenie tendencies and my desire to not go broke on bike parts.
    For the price, dura ace isn't a good option to me but I do like it at a bargain price, picked up mine new for $125 on sale which was worth it to me.

    My favorite pedals are my Garmin Vector 3's though - I wish they would come up with an SPD version then I would have them on my gravel bike too.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

    "The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

  25. #25
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    37,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    For my town bike (that I can't remember the last time I rode), I use Crank Brother Stamp 2 flat pedals. /shrug
    Do you like them? I've been considering a pair of stomps for my "deep winter" bike, because then I could wear my actual winter boots, and not my winter cyclng shoes.

    (Don't get me wrong, I luv my winter cycling shoes, but even my best ones leave my feet cold after a couple of hours if it's below freezing).
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

    "Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Iím fód.Ē

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pedals, pedals, pedals... suggestion/opinions please!
    By xeon in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2013, 02:38 AM
  2. Pedals...Pedals.....Pedals
    By pilotcarter in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 10:14 AM
  3. Your favorite pic of your favorite bike?
    By cratz2 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 06:42 AM
  4. favorite local bar / favorite specials
    By Friction_Shifter in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 05:24 AM
  5. What was your favorite-favorite thread?
    By thatsmybush in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 06:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.