FedEX vs UPS bike shipping costs

May 2004

FedEX vs UPS bike shipping costs

Just a warning if you are planning to ship you bike somewhere. UPS has greatly increased its shipping rates, to the point of gouging. I recently shipped one of my bikes via FedEx to the Chicago area from NC and it cost only $25. My brother shipped my bike back to me yesterday, using UPS, and it cost $90.

I had heard from others that FedEx was less expensive than UPS but didn't realize how big the difference was. Incidentally, I have shipped a number of bikes and frames using FedEx and UPS with no problems whatsoever. I have used FedEx almost exclusively the past couple years because they were less expensive, but I didn't realize how large the difference had become until this latest experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Fedex vs UPS

Yup. Earlier this week a shipped a 85 lb. rug from St. Louis to Chicago. UPS wanted about $100, and Fedex only $49. No brainer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Ditto

I had always assumed UPS was cheaper. I had to ship a bike from NYC to Chicago last month. Dragged it in a cab to the UPS store and they wanted $115. Scr*w them. I set up an account with FedEx and shipped it FedEx Ground for $43. They even picked it up from my apt. for free (although I am told FedEx will not normally pick up from your home).

DHL has been running all those adverts during the Olympics. I got a quote from them for about $80.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

I agree

FedEx has much lower shipping rates.
    You can go to FedEx and UPS web sites and enter your info, weight and dimensions, to comparison shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Many locations of "Kinko's" act as agents for FedEx and will accept shipments.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel
    Just a warning if you are planning to ship you bike somewhere. UPS has greatly increased its shipping rates, to the point of gouging. I recently shipped one of my bikes via FedEx to the Chicago area from NC and it cost only $25. My brother shipped my bike back to me yesterday, using UPS, and it cost $90.

I had heard from others that FedEx was less expensive than UPS but didn't realize how big the difference was. Incidentally, I have shipped a number of bikes and frames using FedEx and UPS with no problems whatsoever. I have used FedEx almost exclusively the past couple years because they were less expensive, but I didn't realize how large the difference had become until this latest experience.
    Just shipped my bike from North Carolina to Colorado this morning using UPS. The cost was $48.50 with $2500 insurance. I did go directly to the UPS shipping hub, not a UPS store (formerly Mail Boxes Etc.). Could it be that the stores are privately owned and add their own markup to the base UPS price...

sm

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBWPI
    Many locations of "Kinko's" act as agents for FedEx and will accept shipments.

Kinkos is now a FedEx company... We...oops ;....I mean; they bought them late last year
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

More Cowbell!

And remember, guys and gals, pack those bikes well. Make sure to use the plastic caps that fit over the axles. Also try to fill void spaces with smaller boxes the same width as the interior width of the bike box. Zip tie your wheels and any other loose objects to the frame.

I'm sure that Dave can provide a bunch more helpful hints.

Also, I'm going to post the final resolution to my UPS damaged frame odyssey soon.
    Pro rep, yo!

jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

I aviod UPS at all costs if i can

FedEx is great because your not going through a UPS store front and paying inflated rates. You are dealing directly with FedEx and there open on Saturdays and so far (3 years) ive never had the problems ive had wiht UPS.

Arrogant roadie.....
    UPS rates are jacked way up at the "UPS Store" outlets and at UPS terminal offices. Strangely, they charge less if they pick it up from you at work or home, but charge you a pickup fee. A "UPS dropoff point" is the cheapest way to ship UPS.

FedEx Ground doesn't play these games, they charge a bit less, and they do a better job.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    UPS rates are jacked way up at the "UPS Store" outlets and at UPS terminal offices. Strangely, they charge less if they pick it up from you at work or home, but charge you a pickup fee. A "UPS dropoff point" is the cheapest way to ship UPS.

FedEx Ground doesn't play these games, they charge a bit less, and they do a better job.
    Those old MailBox Etc stores really inflated prices- I remember stopping in to UPS a small gift for an ill relative and they wanted $14 (for something that USPS charge $4. I realize they have to make there money somewhere... anyway, I thought when they turned to UPS stores they cleaned up their act, but apparently not? I've never been to one, and despite the fact that there is one down the street, I probably won't. It sounds like they just changed their name - an not their business practices.

Oddly, I have shipped several sets of wheels for very reasonable postage through USPS... and I recently received a UPS bike that was about $40.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, shipping out of the UPS warehouse is still quite reasonable.

Mar 2004

Wow, is this thread a couple days late

Just paid my UPS bill at the the LBS this morning for 3 bikes I sold on ebay. If only I had known, I could have saved a few bucks!

Nov 2002

UPS - $111, FedEx - $17.38

I just went on vacation to Ohio last week and while I was up there I had a friend give me a bike I loaned him a few years ago. I boxed it up and went to a UPS store and was quoted $111. I laughed my ass off as I walked out the door! Went across the street to a FedEx location, same box, same bike, same weight..... $17.38

The guy at the UPS store must not have known that I know what it costs to ship a bike and he inflated the box size dimensions on my box to fit into UPS's OS3 catagory. I took his same tape measurer and came up 1.5 inches shorter on the length and 1 inch shorter on the height, and .75 inches shorter on the width.. which would have put my bike at OS2 and would have cost $34 according to UPS's website. I understand the guys who run these UPS stores are private and may inflate the costs a small amount, but this guy tried to jack me for an extra $75, and over $90 more than what FedEx charged me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have an account with UPS and they had always been "somewhat" reasonable. Well I shipped a bike that I sold on ebay a few days ago. The box was not a "big" bike box, just a normal one. I entered all of the dimensions into the computer, I used actual dimensions, I didn't cheat. I also over guessed the weight, on a bike you get charged for 70 pounds anyway. It cost me $50 to ship it from WV to California. A little high but I charged the buyer $40 so I was only out $10, not too bad. Instead of just charging the shipping to my UPS account I went ahead and billed it to my PayPal check card.

Well today I opened up my paypal account and I see that UPS billed me an additional $56 for an adjustment! Talk about pi$$ed!!!! They told me that their auditor said that it was not a "oversize" package it was an "oversize 3" package. I told them didn't really care what their auditor said, I would dispute the charges anyway possible. If I had lied about the dimensions I could see a small adjustment, but not a $56 adjustment. Eventually the lady asked me for the dimensions again and simply said, "that's weird" that is just a regular "oversize". What the hell???? Eventually she said she would credit my card. What would have happened if I just used a regular credit card, I may have never even noticed. If I had noticed who knows if I would still be able to produce the box measurements.

Oh, and here's the kicker. The buyer called me today. The crank is sticking out of the box scratched all to h#ll!

Glad I put that extra insurance on it. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Hard case bike boxes...

I have checked the rates to ship a hard case bike box (a Performance box), even with the less expensive Fed-X, with my bike insured for full value, based upon the oversize box, it still will cost me $69.00. Does anyone know of a hard case bike box that works well and isn't considered oversized? Thanks

Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ifcjti
    I have checked the rates to ship a hard case bike box (a Performance box), even with the less expensive Fed-X, with my bike insured for full value, based upon the oversize box, it still will cost me $69.00. Does anyone know of a hard case bike box that works well and isn't considered oversized? Thanks
    Any box that is big enough to hold an adult bike will be oversized. It's a matter of what oversized rate it gets billed at. The FedEx OS 2 rate is not that bad. It's the OS 3 rate that is high. A bike billed at OS 2 will cost somewhere in the range of $20 to ship (sans insurance) but an OS 3 package will cost about $75. So there is a big jump between the two. I would make sure the bike box you buy fits the dimensions of FedEx's OS 2 rates. Here's a cut and paste from their site.

Determine the package dimensions and the package weight. For the purpose of determining the applicable package rate, the package weight shall be the greater of the actual or oversize weights as noted below:
    Ground Service and Service to Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii and to Canada:
    Actual Weight
    Oversized Weight:
    A package weighing less than 30 lbs. and measuring more than 84" but equal to or less than 108" in combined length and girth will be classified by FedEx Ground as an Oversize 1 (OS1) package. The transportation charges for an Oversize 1 (OS1) package will be the same as a 30-lb. package being transported under the same circumstances.
    A package weighing less than 50 lbs. and measuring more than 108" but equal to or less than 130" in combined length and girth will be classified by FedEx Ground as an Oversize 2 (OS2) package. The transportation charges for an Oversize 2 (OS2) package will be the same as a 50-lb. package being transported under the same circumstances.
    A package weighing 150 lbs. or less and measuring more than 130" but equal to or less than 165" in combined length and girth will be classified by FedEx Ground as an Oversize 3 (OS3) package. The transportation charges for an Oversize 3 (OS3) package will be based on the greater of the package's actual rounded weight or a 90-lb. minimum billable weight. An additional oversize charge will be assessed on any package measuring more than 130" in length and girth.