Thread: Fenders

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018

Fenders

Hi guys, I need your help. I have a 2018 Cannondale Synapse Alloy with the factory 30c 700 tires. Iíve been commuting to work 2-3 days a week and have been stuck in the rain and while I love how my headlight lights up the fountain that rises from my front tire, Iíd rather not get so drenched. The bike comes with mounts for fenders but all of my searches and googling have got me no where. Iíve heard its hard to find fenders that give you the proper wheel and fork clearance. Can anyone shed some light on what fenders will actually fit?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    What you want for full coverage feders....is fenders 10mm wider than the tires you want to run, for debris clearance. So a 40mm tire needs a 50mm fender. A 30mm tire needs a 40mm fender.

I'll wager you don't have room for that, particularly up front. Which leaves figuring a way to splice the fenders. Splicing isn't as good, as the lack of continuity makes for spillage out the splice.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    You may have to downsize your tires to make good full coverage fenders work. Fenders work better containing spray when they wrap over the sides of the tires which contributes downsizing the tire. A good recommendation is at least a centimeter of clearance between the tire and fender so debris has less of a chance of jamming and locking things up. I've got almost 2 centimeters of clearance and have had sticks get caught that would have locked up my wheel if there was less clearance.

I'm using Honjo tires and am very happy with them. They are long and provide lots of coverage. A second set of fender stays may be needed to secure the top of the front fender unless you have a front rack that you can secure it to.
    Velo Orange also has aluminum fenders that are quite nice and about half the price of Honjos.

A mud flap on the front fender is a nice addition also as it keeps road spray off the bottom bracket, crankset and also some what off your feet.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/fenders

With fenders it is important to watch road debris, and whenever riding over a stick or sumsuch can't be avoided, go over it as close to 90deg as possible.

You may still get wet but you sure won't be covered in road grit.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    Thatís exactly it! The first time I road home in the rain, when I got home to take a shower, I couldnít believe all the grit and small stones stuck on my legs! Let alone the junk all over my new bike but sheís my work horse and Iím determined to put her to work, not just keep her looking pristine as if sheís never been ridden. Anyways, thanks for your comments and Iíll look into your suggestions. Iím totally new at commuting to work but Iím really enjoying it. I canít believe how much it benefits me mentally as much as physically. Thanks again!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Fenders? Well, fender...

I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like my Portland Design Works fenders. Proper full wrap, stylish and just the right size for 25-30mm tires. fit nice on my Superjake. Alloy so they do not flap around. Here in Victoria it is not allowed to go on group rides with anything less than full wrap fenders in the rainy season

I'd use these with 30mm tires too they also make wider ones for wider tires https://ridepdw.com/collections/road-cycling

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 10-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I agree that the PDW metal fenders are the best. I have them on my Lemond with 25mm tires, which is a tight squeeze. It looks like their Road Plus Size model is what youíd want.

Here in Eugene we are also obligated to have fenders on club rides starting some time soon. I just ďwinterizedĒ my Domane a couple of days ago. These fenders are Planet Bike plastic ones. They provide plenty of coverage at a lower price point, but are in no way as sweet as the PDW ones. This year I also added some aluminum rims shod with some funky Soma 32mm tires with lots of tread and anti puncture goodness. The saddle bag is a waterproof Ortlieb.

Attachment 323993

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Fenders? Well, fender...

Yeah, but you gonna take it out in the rain?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fenders at work

Fenders-gp020403-1.jpgFenders-gp020403.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lusted after those nice Honjo burnished aluminum fenders for years, but stuck with the tried and true ESGE full coverage plastic, 45 mm width, available in silver or black. They handle 28C tires with enough clearance to spit out rocks and twigs. They're also wider than the tires, a tight squeeze between the fork blades, but nicely keeps water from slinging out the sides and hitting my legs. Narrower fenders didn't work as well, although they may be the only choice in narrow fork crowns and brake bridges.

They're easy to install if you have eyelets on the dropouts. They don't noticeably flex or hit the tires on bumps. A set lasted about 20,000 miles. The plastic eventually splits from the constant vibrations, but they're cheap to replace. They worked like a charm on the commutes home caught in ETX thunderstorms.

So group rides in Portland require fenders? I wouldn't ride in a group without fenders when it starts raining. Way too messy. If there's rain on the radar, I never leave home without 'em.

CEO Of The Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Fenders? Well, fender...

Is that an AR bolt sticker on the bottom? Or is it supposed to be something else and I'm just seeing an AR bolt?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used SKS fenders P45 on a Synapse when I had it - they worked great and will cover a 30mm tire. The front fender flap is very long / low so it keeps the spray off your feet and drive train.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    coverage

Fenders-img_1719.jpgFenders-img_1720.jpg

mud flap

Fenders-img_0936.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the link! Serious commentary.

I'm ready to give up on plastic once the SKS full coverage on the bike crack. Luv those Honjos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Thanks for the link! Serious commentary.

I'm ready to give up on plastic once the SKS full coverage on the bike crack. Luv those Honjos.
    Yeah, I've grown quite fond of them myself. I never realized how solid and quiet fenders could be until these fenders, mounted on a bike meant for fenders. I was able to manipulate the aluminum fenders so the fender line follows the tire, so the fender stays don't force the fenders, just keep them from rattling. They are so quiet that you wouldn't even know they were there if you didn't see them.

If I only woulda known 30 years ago.
    Too old to ride plastic