RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

Fidget spinner bearings

Is it just me or are the bearings in fidget spinners awesome? They seem smoother and longer-spinning than my, albeit cheap (Shimano r500), wheels.

Huge in Japan
    How much load are you putting on those Fidget spinner bearings?
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Fidget Spinner bearings are a standard 608 bearing, as seen in nearly every skateboard. They're either unlubed or lubed with something really light. Your bike bearings are packed with thick grease that adds a hefty amount of resistance, with the benefit that it keeps everything cool and relatively clean. Go ahead and lube your bike bearings with 3-in-1 and let me know how much the freespin increases, then come back after a modest season of riding and see how badly damaged they are.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    There's nothing special about them. I'd bet most are significantly inferior in quality to bicycle bearings.

The reason they spin so easy is because they don't have seals. And you either wash out all the grease and lightly oil them. Or run them clean and dry.
    https://fidgetdoctor.com/blogs/news/...fidget-spinner
    AVOID OIL if you want your spinner to spin faster. From what we've seen and the oil-based lubricants we've tested, oil does wonders for quieting a spinner but completely kills the speed and length of the spin.

Take the seals out of your wheel bearings... and wash out all the lube. They'll spin really fast and long. Just don't expect much life out of them.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by billiegoat View Post
    Is it just me or are the bearings in fidget spinners awesome? They seem smoother and longer-spinning than my, albeit cheap (Shimano r500), wheels.
    ^You have no idea how bearings work and you also have no idea how bearing lubrication works. As #2 posted: There is zero load on fidget spinner bearings. They don't need lubrication. They will spin for a long time because there is no drag from grease or oil. As the other posters said: Try running your hubs dry for one ride and see what happens.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ^You have no idea how bearings work and you also have no idea how bearing lubrication works. As #2 posted: There is zero load on fidget spinner bearings. They don't need lubrication. They will spin for a long time because there is no drag from grease or oil. As the other posters said: Try running your hubs dry for one ride and see what happens.

HAH!

My fidget spinner has ceramic bearings, for undeniably superior performance.

I can totally tell the gain in power I've experienced; my bearings are more fidget-y.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    HAH!

My fidget spinner has ceramic bearings, for undeniably superior performance.

I can totally tell the gain in power I've experienced; my bearings are more fidget-y.
    You've just discovered a great new application for ceramic bearings. They'll last forever!

Added bonus: You now have a $5-10 toy w/ $20-40 in bearings.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    You've just discovered a great new application for ceramic bearings. They'll last forever!
    Naaa they've already discovered that.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-.../dp/B06XYWKT8W

$10
    https://www.amazon.com/Spinner-Ceram...spinners&psc=1
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I never realized you guys were all 8-year olds.

Huge in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I never realized you guys were all 8-year olds.
    I'm just here because I'd rather engage a conversation with you guys about fidget spinners than disc brakes. Or the virtues of lubrication types for fidget spinners versus those for chains.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

xxl

Added bonus: You now have a $5-10 toy w/ $20-40 in bearings.

Good point!

And consider the gain in power; I expect the ceramic bearings in a fidget-spinner to have the same effect on performance as those in a bottom bracket.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Good point!

And consider the gain in power; I expect the ceramic bearings in a fidget-spinner to have the same effect on performance as those in a bottom bracket.

I suspect fidget spinners were created by the deep state bearing industry to sell off those bearings that don't meet the quality control standards for regular bearing use. They have suckered an entire generation into paying money for defective balls....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Bearings without oil make me fidget.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Good point!

With so many Watts gained, a fidget spinner w/ceramic will generate power. Forget coal, oil, water, wind, solar, and nuclear energy. But keep your Coleman fuel just in case.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I have never been impressed with the bearing quality of fidget spinners, slightly rough with loose tolerances. If you spin them fast enough they start to wobble and lose speed. My sample size is large because I am a teacher and hate the ****** things. They distract everyone around while the fidgettor themself is usually distracted by something else.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    My son made one from a bearings that I took out of a 25 year old roller blade wheel and a length of old bike chain. Its pretty cool. Id post a pic but Im not at home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Maybe I don't know how bearings work, but I DO know a fun-intended post when I see one. And also, I won't ever learn about bearings unless I ask.