Final build on new bike
    RoadBikeReview Member

Final build on new bike

Well I just ordered the last component for the new bike I am building. The wait for the frame is killing me and I can't think of any way to take my mind off of it. I posted it before but the build has changed some so thought I would get some opinions on the final build......what can I say, I'm bored.

I originally intended to just buy a steel IF steel frame and use all of the components from my last bike, all Ultegra. It was a good thought but it didn't work out that way. In the end the only piece from my previous bike that is going to be on this bike is the quick releases.

Anyway, this is going to be my new bike, any opinions are welcome. Also, I would like to hear if anyone has any guesses on total weight.

Independent Fabrications Titanium Crown Jewel Compact Frame
    Reynolds Ouza Pro Fork
    Chris King headset
    Specialized S-Works Carbon Stem (110 mm)
    Easton EC90 Composite OS road bar (44 cm)
    Specialized Phat Wrap bar tape
    Easton EC70 Composite seatpost (350 mm)
    Fi'zi:k Aliante Ti saddle
    FSA Platinum Pro Ti bottom bracket
    FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue Crankset (172.5)
    Aerolite Pedals (Ti)
    Campy Record shifters/brake levers (2004)
    Campy Record carbon front derailleur (2004, clamp on)
    Campy Record medium rear derailleur (2004)
    Campy Record chain
    Campy Chorus cassette (13-29)
    Campy Record cables
    Cane Creek 200sl brakes
    American Classic hubs
    DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims
    Wheelsmith spokes (15 gauge on front wheel and rear non drive, 14 gauge on driveside)
    Aluminum nipples on front wheel and rear non drive side, brass on driveside.
    Wheels built by Mike Garcia at odds and endos
    Performance Q-Stix Ti quick releases

Nov 2002
    Sounds nice! Did you get to EP the Cane Creeks? I would like to see pics of that bike when it's done.

Russ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I was finally able to get them EP. It took a while though, after several calls to Cane Creek they never did mail the dealer information to the shop like they said they would. I finally just called and talked to a guy, had to explain to him that all I wanted was a pair of brakes and that no one was working with me on it. He finally gave in and let me buy them.

I will definately be posting pics when it is done. Only have two obstacles left, one is getting the frame. The other is the supplier of the fizik saddle just sent me an e-mail saying they cannot send it until they have proof we are brick and mortar. That will be no problem but still a small hassle. I'll be sending him our FEI tax number and three references on Monday. First time I have heard of needing three references in the bike industry but oh well.

Rain Man
    Dec 2002

Thumbs up Lowcell, This will be a SWEET ride.

Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Well I just ordered the last component for the new bike I am building. The wait for the frame is killing me and I can't think of any way to take my mind off of it. I posted it before but the build has changed some so thought I would get some opinions on the final build......what can I say, I'm bored.

I originally intended to just buy a steel IF steel frame and use all of the components from my last bike, all Ultegra. It was a good thought but it didn't work out that way. In the end the only piece from my previous bike that is going to be on this bike is the quick releases.

Anyway, this is going to be my new bike, any opinions are welcome. Also, I would like to hear if anyone has any guesses on total weight.

Independent Fabrications Titanium Crown Jewel Compact Frame
    Reynolds Ouza Pro Fork
    Chris King headset
    Specialized S-Works Carbon Stem (110 mm)
    Easton EC90 Composite OS road bar (44 cm)
    Specialized Phat Wrap bar tape
    Easton EC70 Composite seatpost (350 mm)
    Fi'zi:k Aliante Ti saddle
    FSA Platinum Pro Ti bottom bracket
    FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue Crankset (172.5)
    Aerolite Pedals (Ti)
    Campy Record shifters/brake levers (2004)
    Campy Record carbon front derailleur (2004, clamp on)
    Campy Record medium rear derailleur (2004)
    Campy Record chain
    Campy Chorus cassette (13-29)
    Campy Record cables
    Cane Creek 200sl brakes
    American Classic hubs
    DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims
    Wheelsmith spokes (15 gauge on front wheel and rear non drive, 14 gauge on driveside)
    Aluminum nipples on front wheel and rear non drive side, brass on driveside.
    Wheels built by Mike Garcia at odds and endos
    Performance Q-Stix Ti quick releases

I tried the 200 sl brakes and didn't like them. I've got a brand new set if you know of anybody that would like them. I put the black Record brakes on instead--a little heavier but better quality and better stopping. Lots of steep hills around Seattle!!

Good luck and above all, have fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank ya. If I hear of anyone I will let you know. You may want to post them for sell on the classifieds here.

Nov 2002
    they cannot send it until they have proof we are brick and mortar. That will be no problem but still a small hassle. I'll be sending him our FEI tax number and three references on Monday. First time I have heard of needing three references in the bike industry but oh well.

Never had that either... just needed to fax a copy of the yellow pages and Tax ID number... weird, 3 referrences huh? Is that Bike Mine that needs all that? I have an account with them for Geax tires... if you need me to get that saddle for you, just let me know.

Russ

Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleaddict
    I tried the 200 sl brakes and didn't like them. I've got a brand new set if you know of anybody that would like them. I put the black Record brakes on instead--a little heavier but better quality and better stopping. Lots of steep hills around Seattle!!

Good luck and above all, have fun.

Ha! I tried to talk him out of those too! I told him to get the Mavic SSC's. ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    LOL, what can I say, I'm stubborn.

Aren't the mavic's the same brakes just no ti or am I thinking of something else? If I'm confused I've got an excuse........I just woke up about 5 minutes ago and I'm rushing around trying to get ready for a race. Unfortunately I don't have time to go to the mavic website and check them out right now.

Juanmoretime
    The Mavic's are dual pivots with a leaf type return spring. They run under 300 grams for the set. Not quite as Light as the Can Creeks although superior braking.
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

Nov 2002
    LOL, what can I say, I'm stubborn.

Aren't the mavic's the same brakes just no ti or am I thinking of something else? If I'm confused I've got an excuse........I just woke up about 5 minutes ago and I'm rushing around trying to get ready for a race. Unfortunately I don't have time to go to the mavic website and check them out right now.
    You are thinking of the Dia-Compe BRS brakes.... Cane Creeks and Brew Lites are just modified versions of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yup, that was what I was thinking. I just checked out the mavic's and they do look pretty sweet. I guess I just got confused with the Dia Compe's when you were telling me about them before. If the Cane Creeks don't work out I will definately be looking into the mavic's.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

aerolite pedals

I would absolutely not use the aerolite pedals. They are light, true. Beyond that, they are unreliable, difficult to set up, difficult to click into, and dangerous. If you want float, this is achieved essentially by attaching the so-called 'cleats' very loosely. You can only imagine. Try to picture yourself sprinting, or climbing out of the saddle, or whatever, and the cleat comes off the shoe! Even if you don't want float, you still have to attach the 'cleat' loosely, or you will not be able to click into them. Also, the design of the 'bearing' system is not like traditional bearings, so beware of the action of pedaling causing the entire pedal to come unscrewed from the crank while riding! I bought some of these, had so many problems with them including a serious crash that I sent them back. Customer service is incredibly slow. In fact I had to query the manufacturer about sending the refund even after he agreed to it! I even had the manufacturer (at his suggestion) attach the cleats to my shoes for me. I didn't even get out of my driveway before two out of the four screws holding the cleats on fell out. That's my opinion on these!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I have never tried the pedals but after receiving them I was a little concerned. After thinking about them for a few days they went on ebay. Luckily I was able to get most of my money back out of them. They just don't look like the pedal for me, and I have no intention of falling over on a brand new IF because I can't get out of my pedals.

It looks like my good 'ole faithful egg beaters will be making their way to this bike for a while, that is until I finish paying off the credit card bill for the bike, only $280 to go and the bike is completely paid for. Once that happens I will probably be getting some speedplays.

BTW, I just tracked the frame.......it is scheduled to be delivered on Monday!