• 07-22-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Riding to the Trek store could be an option on some days. But to my full time job it would be a problem. I start work at 5 am and there is no place to store my bike indoors. And I am not leaving a 4k road bike outside.

If you've got a good route that is bicycle commutable, maybe a 2nd hand, not too expensive bike that would make a good commuter. Lights can be had reasonably priced, some fenders for rain and a basket or panniers or a backpack to carry stuff. If you shop around that should be doable for not too much of a cash outlay, and it would pay for itself with the money saved not driving.

You could be saving a few bucks and riding your bike.
  • 07-22-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If you've got a good route that is bicycle commutable, maybe a 2nd hand, not too expensive bike that would make a good commuter. Lights can be had reasonably priced, some fenders for rain and a basket or panniers or a backpack to carry stuff. If you shop around that should be doable for not too much of a cash outlay, and it would pay for itself with the money saved not driving.

This is an idea. Also, some bike shop employees have access to suppliers and can buy stuff at wholesale prices.
  • 07-22-2019
    tlg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Any traffic that is stressful to drive in is stressful to ride a bike in. City traffic sucks whether on a bike or in a car. IMO, the only practical way to commute into large cities is walking or public transit.

Not necessarily. I can take a hiway to work, which I can't on a bike, or I can take back roads that are fine for bikes.
  • 07-23-2019
    frdfandc
    Quote:

I may have to look into a 2nd bike for that. Good idea. I even probably could pick up a Trek FX for a great price and use that as a commuter. It's only 13 miles from home to my full time job.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
  • 07-23-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

I may have to look into a 2nd bike for that. Good idea. I even probably could pick up a Trek FX for a great price and use that as a commuter. It's only 13 miles from home to my full time job.

There you go. 26 miles a day is 130 miles a week which will save you a little gas and wear and tear on your car. Granted you won't want to bike to work on foul weather days.

Burn calories, not gas/money! :thumbsup:
  • 07-23-2019
    tlg
    Quote:

It's only 13 miles from home to my full time job.

That's a reasonable riding distance.
    My guess is it's about a 30min drive. Vs a 45min-50min ride.
    So for an extra 15-20min in the morning and evening, you get 26mi of riding.
  • 07-23-2019
    frdfandc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    That's a reasonable riding distance.
    My guess is it's about a 30min drive. Vs a 45min-50min ride.
    So for an extra 15-20min in the morning and evening, you get 26mi of riding.

18 minute drive in the am, 23 in the afternoon . So, yes about a 45 minute ride.

Very doable

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
  • 07-23-2019
    Ab24029
    To gain back motivation :

1. I would sign up for some kind of a challenging event down the road . You then will have an incentive to ride and train for that ride.

2. Also I would start riding with a group.

3. Work on to get a non cycling friend into cycling and ride with him/her.

4. Ride the same route two tree times a week(commute?) and start paying attention to numbers(your weigh, time, average speed, etc....) You will have the intensive to improve your numbers if you keeps riding the same route

5. Get some new gear( closing, bikes, etc...) I bought some expensive rain gear and the every time it would rain I would get out there to ride to test it.

6. Get a bike fit and then ride long distance to see if it actually worked and see what hurts.

7. Sign up for Strava and improve your standings

8. Take a cycling tour vacation in another country.
  • 07-23-2019
    Alaska Mike
    Bike commuting is an excellent idea. Starts and ends the work day off on an endorphin rush, which can help reduce overall stress levels. I used to call it shouting profanities into the wind.
  • 07-24-2019
    ogre
    Quote:

If you've got a good route that is bicycle commutable, maybe a 2nd hand, not too expensive bike that would make a good commuter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This is an idea. Also, some bike shop employees have access to suppliers and can buy stuff at wholesale prices.

If you work at a bike shop, you'll NEVER buy a second hand bike. Most bike manufacturers really want you to ride their bikes and they'll sell them to you below shop cost if you're a shop employee. You will have to give a credit card, as they won't charge that thru the shop. Used to be you just had to be an employee verified by the sales rep - but nowadays, the manufacturers are getting smarter. They make you take a fair amount of online courses, but you'll get the bike at HUGE savings. You can even ride the bike for a year and then sell it for more than you paid for it. It's well worth the effort, especially if you're buying high end. (Don't abuse the system - most of them say one year minimum before selling).

I've held two jobs for over 25 years, and my second job has always been at a bike shop. Once you work at a shop, you should never quit. At my shop, we have two employees that have engineering degrees (one a doctorate) and they each work about one Saturday each month - and that's a bonus because most regulars want off on Saturdays if possible.

Any shop that doesn't let you purchase at cost or very near to cost is run by twatwaffles. Just make sure they pay for the stuff before using.
  • 07-25-2019
    QuiQuaeQuod
    I get where you are coming from, and that lack of motivation is something everyone deals with eventually.

Commuting is good, for getting automatic miles.

It is not good for getting motivation. It can be, if you "explore" things a bit on your way, since even an extra 5 minutes can take you through very different places. "what's on THAT block? I'll see tomorrow" can motivate.

Is riding fun? I generally don't need motivation to do fun things. But when fun fades, and becomes something you HAVE to do, well.....

So think "fun rides". That might be hitting the dirt trails, it might mean winding through some neighborhoods to look at gardens or architecture, it might mean hitting that one twisty road you can carry 30mph on for a mile of slight downhill, It might mean riding 40 minutes to the place with the great ice cream cones (which you will burn off riding home so no need to worry about eating it even with weight concerns), whatever sounds like fun to you.

Forget "training" and "mile goals" and all that. Look to have fun on the bike, and once you do chances are the regular rides will be easier to do.
  • 08-29-2019
    frdfandc
    Just an update to my health and motivation issues. Started hormone replacement therapy and found out I was suffering from depression, and I am seeing a health professional for that and I am finally feeling much better. I did hurt my back at my full time job, so I'm out on workers comp. The upside is I've been getting some additional rest, so that helps out quite a bit. Overall, I'm moving in the right direction and hopefully in the next week or so, I'll be cleared and can start riding again.