RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

The first 50mm setback seatpost I’ve seen

Recently bought another road bike(Fuji cross 1.1 actually with slick 32mms) with a smaller top tube and shorter stem than normal and this is the biggest setback seatpost I’ve ever been able to find. Been to China and back on the web where I discovered this item. Nowhere have I seen more setback. Fsa k-force lite I think was most at only 35mm and always expensive. And maybe there’s the el guapo or something for trick bikes but was out of consideration for me because I think its weight would be upsetting

I can’t seem to link the eBay store with it but if you search 3k Carbon seatpost setback 50mm it's there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3K-Carbon-F...D1rXaCpq9kX0_A
    Last edited by hummina shadeeba; 6 Days Ago at 11:21 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A $44 carbon fiber seatpost? I would run in the other direction, seriously.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I’ve had many. Seriously u should reconsider

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hummina shadeeba View Post
    Recently bought another road bike(Fuji cross 1.1 actually with slick 32mms) with a smaller top tube and shorter stem than normal and this is the biggest setback seatpost I’ve ever been able to find. Been to China and back on the web where I discovered this item. Nowhere have I seen more setback. Fsa k-force lite I think was most at only 35mm and always expensive. And maybe there’s the el guapo or something for trick bikes but was out of consideration for me because I think its weight would be upsetting

I can’t seem to link the eBay store with it but if you search 3k Carbon seatpost setback 50mm it's there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3K-Carbon-F...D1rXaCpq9kX0_A
    Do you understand basic tenents of fit? How reach is derived...through setback, top tube and stem length? Why seat tube angle matters? Why saddle setback matters? Why too much setback is problematic to rotating one's pelvis? Why riding too much setback changes the bike's weight distribution and puts more weight on the rear wheel adversely affecting handling?

You chose the bike with top tube length and sta. Do you know why its almost impossible to find a seat post with more than 35mm setback in the industry?

I just want to see if you know what you are doing. So far, doesn't seem like it. Its not like the bike you chose is high end. You can flip it on Craigslist or give it to a friend and buy a bike that fits you properly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hummina shadeeba View Post
    I’ve had many. Seriously u should reconsider
    Seriously, if you don't already have one, you should buy a good insurance policy of you are going to use cheap knock-off brand carbon products.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Seriously, if you don't already have one, you should buy a good insurance policy of you are going to use cheap knock-off brand carbon products.
    You are painting with too broad of a brush.

Plenty of Chinese carbon is perfectly fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    "Seriously" - you aren't being more than a tad over dramatic are you? I have personally broken at least 3 name brand top shelf seat posts on my mtn bike over the years due to poorly designed seat clamps. In each case as the seat fell away, it gave plenty of warning for me to instinctively lift my butt up to protect the crown jewels from a jagged claw. In all three instances, I stopped to retrieve the seat, and continued with my ride - simply riding out of the saddle. I didn't even cut the rides short. While there is a risk of injury with almost any bike component failure, seat post failure is relatively minor compared to stem, bar, fork, crank, pedal or chain failures - all of which will usually send you to the deck real fast.

As 11spd alludes, a 50mm setback does lead one to wonder about fit and handling issues.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RHankey View Post
    "Seriously" - you aren't being more than a tad over dramatic are you? I have personally broken at least 3 name brand top shelf seat posts on my mtn bike over the years due to poorly designed seat clamps. In each case as the seat fell away, it gave plenty of warning for me to instinctively lift my butt up to protect the crown jewels from a jagged claw. In all three instances, I stopped to retrieve the seat, and continued with my ride - simply riding out of the saddle. I didn't even cut the rides short. While there is a risk of injury with almost any bike component failure, seat post failure is relatively minor compared to stem, bar, fork, crank, pedal or chain failures - all of which will usually send you to the deck real fast.

As 11spd alludes, a 50mm setback does lead one to wonder about fit and handling issues.
    You are correct, plenty of warning when they start to let go.

Someone in this thread is being a drama queen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

Oh No, here goes the thread.
    Too old to ride plastic

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I know but seriously, plenty of good carbon comes from China.

I have a few pairs of light bicycle company wheels direct from Xiamen on mtb. Bikes and they are more than ok.

Frankly I find it misleading and disingenuous at best to state “all” Chinese unbranded products are inferior.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I've had a few china seat posts. One is on my MTB and another is on my cross bike. No issues. They're pretty well made. I've had less issues with them than some name brand posts. But then my MTB and cross bike also have china frames too
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

banned
    Sep 2015
    I know but seriously, plenty of good carbon comes from China.

I have a few pairs of light bicycle company wheels direct from Xiamen on mtb. Bikes and they are more than ok.

Frankly I find it misleading and disingenuous at best to state “all” Chinese unbranded products are inferior.
    Your last sentence is true. Of course some are ok and others are suspect. Reason for branding is expectation. Based upon a given brand, 'generally' you can expect a certain level of performance and durability/reliability. This is 'unknown' without a brand, no matter where a product is made. It in fact lowers accountability.

I could reverse engineer a product and sell it on ebay. It maybe perfectly fine or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There you go again, back down into the gutter. I shouldn't have expected any less from you, FF.

Have you forgotten about this thread:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/wh...ml#post5042912

1) Light
    2) Strong
    3) Cheap

Pick two.

Huge in Japan

1) Light
    2) Strong
    3) Cheap

Pick two.

While it is a popular saying it's also a false dilemma. Why is it only three options and why can we only pick two of them?

Why can't it be:

Light
    Strong
    Cheap
    Good looking

How many do we get to pick from those?

Or even:

Light
    Strong
    Cheap
    Good looking
    Easy to use

Now how many picks do we get? What if I added non-stick? Or the next 5 callers get two for the price of one?

Fact is that it's just a catchy phrase.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    While it is a popular saying it's also a false dilemma. Why is it only three options and why can we only pick two of them?

Why can't it be:

Light
    Strong
    Cheap
    Good looking

How many do we get to pick from those?

Or even:

Light
    Strong
    Cheap
    Good looking
    Easy to use

Now how many picks do we get? What if I added non-stick? Or the next 5 callers get two for the price of one?

Fact is that it's just a catchy phrase.
    I guess in the would of unicorns, you could have all three and more.

Now back down to reality.

RoadBikeReview Member

Whose reality?
    Too old to ride plastic

banned
    Nov 2009
    Whose reality?
    bingo

Huge in Japan

It's a decent general rule of thumb, I get that. I imagine that certain attributes, including but not limited to the ones that you identify, raise some level of concern for a number of us. But it isn't a hard and fast rule. That's all I'm saying.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    It's a decent general rule of thumb, I get that. I imagine that certain attributes, including but not limited to the ones that you identify, raise some level of concern for a number of us. But it isn't a hard and fast rule. That's all I'm saying.
    Well as the saying goes, "The race isn't necessarily to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet".

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderators Note

No, there goes the poster. Continue on.

/Mod hot off

50mm is a lot of set back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    No, there goes the poster. Continue on.
    Whew! Thank you Coolhand!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Do you understand basic tenents of fit? How reach is derived...through setback, top tube and stem length? Why seat tube angle matters? Why saddle setback matters? Why too much setback is problematic to rotating one's pelvis? Why riding too much setback changes the bike's weight distribution and puts more weight on the rear wheel adversely affecting handling?

You chose the bike with top tube length and sta. Do you know why its almost impossible to find a seat post with more than 35mm setback in the industry?

I just want to see if you know what you are doing. So far, doesn't seem like it. Its not like the bike you chose is high end. You can flip it on Craigslist or give it to a friend and buy a bike that fits you properly.
    I will not be giving my new 1700$ bike to a friend. It fits great. It fits different than the last 30 road bikes I’ve had. I’m trying something different: not as stretched out with shorter reach bars, top tube, and stem and further back seat. I find it makes for a more comfortable position while seated wiggling through tight traffic and when out of the saddle I’m less constrained by bumping the saddle. If you’re stuck in rigid ideas of fitting try something new and you might find it works well for you. You could call it your gravel bike or something. If u really want to go to a laid back position you could call it your recumbent

There’s a lot of unbranded or lesser known stuff that comes from China that’s great. I’ve owned 3 carbon road frames with no brand on them and I liked them more than the branded trek or Ridley carbon I’ve also had.
    Last edited by hummina shadeeba; 3 Days Ago at 08:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lombard View Post
    a $44 carbon fiber seatpost? I would run in the other direction, seriously.
    ^^^^^exactly this!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^