First it was knee pain, now my hip hurts...
    RoadBikeReview Member

Unhappy First it was knee pain, now my hip hurts...

Long time lurker, never had anything to contribute (or ask) till now...(love the forum, btw)

I don't race, am a fairly strong rider - but I've always had problems w/ my left leg, mostly knee pain. Because I've never put in the miles like I have this year the pain would come and go, never something I worried about too much, just figured that my cleat position wasn't ideal.

Now here's the problem. My inner knee hurts - mostly the pain is in the back of the leg, and is quite noticable when I flex my calf. I've also developed a pain in my hip which I'm sure is related to whatever the heck is wrong with my knee. The hip pain is sharp (located 2/3rd's to the outer part of the hip), and noticable when I'm on an upstroke. I've tried adjusting my seat height, fore/aft position, angle (which I just got to a perfect setting - Selle Italia Flight), and cleat position.

Nothing seems to work for more than a few minutes of pain relief. My knee also has a tendency to bow out while on the upstroke, and feels most comfortable when I adjust my cleat to toe-in-heel-out.

I'm riding on shimano 535's? not 100% on the model, they are mid-level mtn pedals and Carnac shoes, all bolted to a 56 cm Cannondale R1000 (for those of you that care).

I'm 24yo, ride ~100mi/wk, 5'10', 170lb.

I've searched the forums, but haven't found anything related to my specific pains...any ideas?

Tom

Deliciously Ironic

Could be IT band

Iliotibial band, that is....do a search on that, lots of discussion there. Maybe something there will help?

also, have someone check your leg length - lie flat on back, put feet up into air, have other person lay a straight edge across heels.

let us know what you find out!
    mohair_chair: And everyone knows that a menstruating woman attracts bears

buy my old bike stuff: https://sites.google.com/site/carbonscyclingcloset/

my playlist on Blip.fm: http://blip.fm/rollotommassi

RoadBikeReview Member
    also, have someone check your leg length - lie flat on back, put feet up into air, have other person lay a straight edge across heels.
    will do that tonight!

scruffy nerf herder

Thats a good idea...

toe in might be part of it, leg length is a potential issue... but hate to say it but your fit may be WAYYYY off.

Knees are weird, the way that the nerves and muscles all are integrated in or about the hip, it is not uncommon for people to seek medical advice for hip pain, only to find out that it is a problem with their knees. Anytime there is excessive hip action, I first look to seat height, and if you are getting rear leg pain, I would move your saddle a bit forward. But I would really stop screwing with your cleats as this will likely only exacerbate any problems.

Get your fore/aft/height fixed and then deal with cleat angle. Sounds to me like you are going backwards, starting from the cleat. Inside pain would "typically" indicate you have too much toe in, which would be really amplified when seated climbing... but sounds like you have bigger issues. Make them straight and adjust your seat position first. Once you get it right, then go ride for a few weeks nice and easy... do you hear me... nice and easy. Your legs should adjust, if that doesnt work, you might look at something with adjustable q-factor, but I kinda doubt that, but who knows.

Keep in mind that even if you have a leg shorter, you can still ride and be quite good. In fact, If Im not mistaken Jacky Durant had a childhood accident that left one leg some 4 cm shorter than the other and still he became French Champion 6 years before he had the surgery to correct it... no kidding.

Good luck.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

RoadBikeReview Member
    it is not uncommon for people to seek medical advice for hip pain, only to find out that it is a problem with their knees.
    this is what i'm guessing, that my knee is causing the hip pain.

but hate to say it but your fit may be WAYYYY off.
    I'd be inclined to agree with this, but I've had several experienced fitters look at my position on a bike, and they've all concluded that everything *seemed* fine. Which we know now, isn't.

Anytime there is excessive hip action, I first look to seat height, and if you are getting rear leg pain, I would move your saddle a bit forward.
    My hips don't rock while I ride, although I could try fore/aft positioning again.

But I would really stop screwing with your cleats as this will likely only exacerbate any problems.
    I'd love to stop messing with my cleats! (Note: pain is only in left knee/hip - my right leg is perfect, never any pain) While riding with my cleat adjusted to dead ahead, straight as an arrow, my knee will bother me after about ~10 miles, at which point my foot wants to pedal with toe-in, heel out.

I will take your advice and start at the saddle though.

Once you get it right, then go ride for a few weeks nice and easy... do you hear me... nice and easy
    I've had tendonitis in my shoulder before which ruined my baseball career - believe me, I understand the importance of nice and easy
    :-)

Keep in mind that even if you have a leg shorter, you can still ride and be quite good.
    I doubt the issue is w/ leg length, but I am curious to see if one isn't longer than the other.

Thanks for the help! I guess I'll start at square one, saddle, and go from there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    If you first developed pain in the knee, tried to ride through it and then developed hip pain, you might be at risk for doing some serious damage. Take some time off. Five days. Try ice, gentle stretching and Advil. If that relieves the pain...

Then try making sure your bike fits you. Find a good LBS that knows how to do a professional fit. If the bike fits you, hopefully the pain comes back. If that doesn't relieve the pain or the pain comes back...

As a guy who has been battling knee pain for 15 months, I'd advise you to get some professional advice. Not sure what your health insurance sitch is, but if you can swing it see a sports doctor. Ask around at a local cycling or racing club and see if anyone knows a doctor who rides or treats riders.

I've been battling tendinitis and tedonosis in my left knee. Finally found an ortho surgeon who rides (Colnago, natch). He gave me an MRI (no tears) and sent me to phys therapy. My PT also rides (Trek) and he's figured out that my left side, from hip on down, is weaker overall. He set me up with exercises and i'm feeling better.

Good luck and post again to let us know how it is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomakit
    Long time lurker, never had anything to contribute (or ask) till now...(love the forum, btw)

I don't race, am a fairly strong rider - but I've always had problems w/ my left leg, mostly knee pain. Because I've never put in the miles like I have this year the pain would come and go, never something I worried about too much, just figured that my cleat position wasn't ideal.

Now here's the problem. My inner knee hurts - mostly the pain is in the back of the leg, and is quite noticable when I flex my calf. I've also developed a pain in my hip which I'm sure is related to whatever the heck is wrong with my knee. The hip pain is sharp (located 2/3rd's to the outer part of the hip), and noticable when I'm on an upstroke. I've tried adjusting my seat height, fore/aft position, angle (which I just got to a perfect setting - Selle Italia Flight), and cleat position.

Nothing seems to work for more than a few minutes of pain relief. My knee also has a tendency to bow out while on the upstroke, and feels most comfortable when I adjust my cleat to toe-in-heel-out.

I'm riding on shimano 535's? not 100% on the model, they are mid-level mtn pedals and Carnac shoes, all bolted to a 56 cm Cannondale R1000 (for those of you that care).

I've searched the forums, but haven't found anything related to my specific pains...any ideas?

Tom
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

RoadBikeReview Member
    Then try making sure your bike fits you. Find a good LBS that knows how to do a professional fit. If the bike fits you, hopefully the pain comes back. If that doesn't relieve the pain or the pain comes back...
    I just moved to NYC after having lived in NJ all of my life. While in NJ though, I worked in a shop for a number of years (~5), so I know a thing or two about fitting, and I also had a custom fit done by my manager.

After what's been said I'm wondering if this isn't more a saddle fore/aft issue than anything else.

As a guy who has been battling knee pain for 15 months, I'd advise you to get some professional advice. Not sure what your health insurance sitch is, but if you can swing it see a sports doctor.
    If I can't get this resolved in the next few weeks I will be seeing a doctor. Health Ins not an issue, finding a good sports med dr might be, though.

Thanks for all the help so far!

scruffy nerf herder

But the funny thing is this...

Despite having this "custom" fit done for you... you said:

"I've tried adjusting my seat height, fore/aft position, angle (which I just got to a perfect setting - Selle Italia Flight), and cleat position."

So that tells me that you've been fidgeting around and probably are no where close to the custom fitting or whatever. So, either the custom fitting didn't work or was wrong, or your fidgeting has caused you to lose it. So now, you are trying different combinations of things and nothing is working. Start with the big things, like fore/aft and height and work to the little stuff like cleats and give the changes an opportunity to work... meaning if you are at a point were pain is severe, its not like you can just drop the seat by 2mm and expect it to be pain free... but you sound like an intelligent guy, just start by the beginning, using the most common fit methods and work from there.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

"The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

RoadBikeReview Member
    The fit I had done was fine for 3 years and countless miles, so I'm pretty sure I monkeyed it up somewhere early this season, for who-knows-what reason...or it was not 100% to begin with and my increased mileage is letting me know.

Either way, I think the best plan of attack is to rest my legs/knee through the weekend and on Sunday (I haven't ridden since this past Sunday, so it'll be a full week of downtime), starting at the saddle, to re-fit myself - breaking out a plumb line, re-setting my cleats, and all that fun stuff.

Again, thanks for the help, I really was curious to see if I was overlooking something obvious.

scruffy nerf herder

Thats a great idea...

Rest is a good idea, and keep it good and stretched.

As far as knee pain goes, keep it simple. Reminds me of that movie... what was it, Slingblade... where the guy comes to the shop and says... I can't this tiller to fire up, I've just plumb tried everything", to which BillyBob bends over and says...."It aint got no gas it it." The same rules apply to knees. Start with the simple things first. They probably work for 95% of the population...

Best of luck.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

Mar 2004
    One thing about leg length discrepency: The body adapts to these differences quite well and will adjust the positions of hips, etc. to compensate for differences in leg length. This is why leg length checks done while lying down tend to be inneffective. If you think the problem might be caused by leg lengths I reccomend Kit Laughlin's book "Overcome Neck and Back Pain". It has an excellent section on checking for leg length differences while standing (you will need a partner who is comfortable looking at you nude or very scantily clad). It really helped me, now I wear a shim which has helped (along with a lot of stretching/stregthening) my hip/back pain.

Hope you get it sorted out and soon ride pain free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    I'm in NYC, too. My docs are all up at Hospital for Special Surgery. Some of us ride together in the mornings. It's good to have an ortho surgeon, PT and anaestethiologist (sp?) riding with you if your knee is wonky.

Private message me if you need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomakit
    I just moved to NYC after having lived in NJ all of my life. While in NJ though, I worked in a shop for a number of years (~5), so I know a thing or two about fitting, and I also had a custom fit done by my manager.

After what's been said I'm wondering if this isn't more a saddle fore/aft issue than anything else.

If I can't get this resolved in the next few weeks I will be seeing a doctor. Health Ins not an issue, finding a good sports med dr might be, though.

Thanks for all the help so far!
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

May 2004

Stretching would help.

Hamstring pain with hip pain can be from a variety of things. First of all, your hamstrings are by definition tight because you are a cyclist. They need to be stretched. The hamstrings insert on two places on your tibia below your knee. On the inside you have the pes bursa and this may just require some icing and stretching. The lateral side is where the IT band syndrome occurs. Again, stretching and ice. As for your hip problem, you may have a hip contracture with tightness of your hip flexors. This again would be helped with a good program of stretching. Bike position can also help with this. For instance if your seat is too far back, you're going to pull harder with your hamstrings.
    I liked one of the previous recommendations to see someone such as a sports doc that rides.
    If you can't do that, come down and see Johnny Cobb in Tyler Texas. We can see you together and work on your problem. Good Luck!

Tom[/QUOTE]