First time in NYC over 8 years- Victim of bike theft
    Bike Wing Conspiracy

First time in NYC over 8 years- Victim of bike theft

It was my commuter bike. My track bike. It is in the worst shape I have ever seen a bike look. It hasnt been cleaned, polished, degreased, rubbed down or refitted in over a year. I ride this thing every day to and from work and on the weekends. It used to have top of the line Dura Ace track gruppo, but they are so worn in at this point it is a toss up what value the gruppo really has.

I leave a krypto chain and disc lock at the spot where I lock it up at work. I carry another lock with me that acts as a lock that I use when I hit a store on my way home or stop at the bar for a drink; I also use it to lock up the back wheel to the frame.

The other night I leave work at 2 in the morning and instead of riding home, I took a car. I didt feel like dragging the bike with me so I left it locked where it was and didnt give it another thought. I have done this before many times. Never a problem in the least. I had begun to think that people that complained about stolen bikes were dreaming it up. 7 or 8 years and never a problem.

I finish work yesterday and head to the bike rack and find that my Profile Airwings, Pofile carbon forks, my front brake and the stem have been removed. Luckily I had the back wheel locked up or it would have been gone too. The seat post and the seat are still there only because the allen key you need to remove it is a 2 or 3 mm - it is an Aegis Frame, they have a wedge system for the seat post.

I must have stood there for 10 minutes with my jaw on the floor. I could not get my head around what happened. In truth I had been thinking about getting a new track bike set-up, but I had been considering it on my own time. Now I am forced to consider it on someone else's time. They even ruined the Chris King headset because they left half of it on the bike.

Replacement parts - 2003 Look HSC3 Carbon Fork from Total Cycling - what is the deal with Rake? Do I want Rake? Do I not want Rake? Insight please.

I am going with the Profile bars again, but I am up in the air about the headset and the Alien stem I had on there.

I had to put one of the Meraks in working condition last night. It was weird riding in with gears this morning.

Truth is, whoever stole that stuff has some sandblasted, overused, under maintained, road salted gear that no one in their right mind would buy-or give a bag of crack for. It will probably end up in the trash somewhere...just wish I knew where.

So I need some help on replacement part info and any deals anyone knows. Bring them on.

I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Wowee. that sucks! Where did you lock it up?

Bike Wing Conspiracy

Sixth or "Avenue of the Americas" and 49th street

Sixth or "Avenue of the Americas" and 49th street, right above where the NYSC is. Those bike racks that face the street.

hi, I'm Larry

Wink Check ebay

They may have that exact setup, up for bid in a week or two. Complete with the half of the Chris King headset that you need.

Quote Originally Posted by onespeed
    It was my commuter bike. My track bike. It is in the worst shape I have ever seen a bike look. It hasnt been cleaned, polished, degreased, rubbed down or refitted in over a year. I ride this thing every day to and from work and on the weekends. It used to have top of the line Dura Ace track gruppo, but they are so worn in at this point it is a toss up what value the gruppo really has.

I leave a krypto chain and disc lock at the spot where I lock it up at work. I carry another lock with me that acts as a lock that I use when I hit a store on my way home or stop at the bar for a drink; I also use it to lock up the back wheel to the frame.

The other night I leave work at 2 in the morning and instead of riding home, I took a car. I didt feel like dragging the bike with me so I left it locked where it was and didnt give it another thought. I have done this before many times. Never a problem in the least. I had begun to think that people that complained about stolen bikes were dreaming it up. 7 or 8 years and never a problem.

I finish work yesterday and head to the bike rack and find that my Profile Airwings, Pofile carbon forks, my front brake and the stem have been removed. Luckily I had the back wheel locked up or it would have been gone too. The seat post and the seat are still there only because the allen key you need to remove it is a 2 or 3 mm - it is an Aegis Frame, they have a wedge system for the seat post.

I must have stood there for 10 minutes with my jaw on the floor. I could not get my head around what happened. In truth I had been thinking about getting a new track bike set-up, but I had been considering it on my own time. Now I am forced to consider it on someone else's time. They even ruined the Chris King headset because they left half of it on the bike.

Replacement parts - 2003 Look HSC3 Carbon Fork from Total Cycling - what is the deal with Rake? Do I want Rake? Do I not want Rake? Insight please.

I am going with the Profile bars again, but I am up in the air about the headset and the Alien stem I had on there.

I had to put one of the Meraks in working condition last night. It was weird riding in with gears this morning.

Truth is, whoever stole that stuff has some sandblasted, overused, under maintained, road salted gear that no one in their right mind would buy-or give a bag of crack for. It will probably end up in the trash somewhere...just wish I knew where.

So I need some help on replacement part info and any deals anyone knows. Bring them on.

Oct 2002

Dude, I'm right up the street from you

In the AXA bldg by Radio City.

Sorry to hear about your bike, if you want a used Fuji track to replace it send me a PM. I also have a new set of profile cowhorns & a stem sitting around...

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by onespeed
    Sixth or "Avenue of the Americas" and 49th street, right above where the NYSC is. Those bike racks that face the street.