Fitting a roof rack
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Fitting a roof rack

Quick question. A year ago, my girlfriend had a rack system put on her Honda Civic by the LBS. They did a great job and it fit properly, but the rack did allow some water to leak into the car in heavy rains, which wasn't so good. I'm interested in fitting a roof rack system to my car, a 1997 BMW M3 Sedan (4door). My biggest fear is that I'll end up with a leaky car like my girlfriend did, and that's not worth it. Anyone with any experience fitting a roof rack to this model of vehicle?...maybe I'll get lucky and someone will have the same make and model and be able to let me know if it works properly...

Thanks

toomanybikes
    I'm very puzzled by your post - "they did a great job ..... it let water into the car in the rain"

Your LBS tooka watertight unit like a car, put a rack on the roof and the result was that the car was no longer watertight!!

Sorry, that is not a great job, it is a piss-poor job that they should have been sued for.

A Yakima or Thule system will be able to fit your car just fine - but please go and have it installed by qualified installers.

Car Cos. spend huge amounts of money on design and testing of their products to ensure they are watertight - I am amazed that you still refer to them as your LBS after they ruined your GF's car.

Arrogant roadie.....
    Hey, have you ever read feedback on eBay? People gush all over sellers for sending their $2 tchatcke on time!

Really, our expectations of merchant accountability is in the toilet after a generation of mass-retailers like Wal-Mart and the like. Morkm is probably just happy that they even acknowleged his existance. Most stores don't even do that very well today!

No, I'd say that the LBS took you for a sucker. Your praise of them confirms that.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

pack fodder
    With more recent BMWs, a Thule rack can be bolted directly to the roof instead of using brackets that clamp over the door seals. It's reason enough to own a BMW!

Unfortunately, if you want a Thule system for your '97 M3, you may be SOL. Maybe Yakima currently has something for you.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/fg_f...8&Continue.y=8

BTW, I agree with the above posts. A properly installed rack will not leak at the doors.