RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Fizik VS vs Versus Evo

I am test riding a new saddle, a Fizik Antares VS. I think i like it, but wondering how the new line compares. Would the Antares VS be similar to the Antares Versus Evo? Last thing i want is to get a new saddle that just doesnít work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I understand your concern about purchasing a saddle that might not work. I've shared your predicament, and have tried the Aliante versions of those saddles, but not the Antares ones.

Here's my experiences and thoughts:
    I've used both the Fizik Aliante and Fizik Aliante Versus for many years, as I have one on each of my 2 main bikes. I can ride 1 - 1 1/2 hours on them without noticing the saddle, so they must fit well when you don't even think about the saddle during the rides. After 1 - 1 1/2 hours, I can feel pressure in the perineal area and have been looking for a saddle that might relieve the pressure more.

I found that while the Fizik Aliante Versus Evo has the same shape as the Aliante Versus, it feels quite different. More pressure relief in the perineum for sure, and this is noticeable right away. However the padding / foam is much more dense than either the Aliante and Aliante Versus, and this too is noticeable right away. By half an hour into the rides, I found the pressure building up over the ischial tuberosities (sit bones) to be high enough that I was constantly squirming on the saddle to find the "sweet spot" of comfort, or needing to get out of the saddle to relieve pressure. After 4-5 rides on the Fizik Aliante Versus Evo, I could not find the comfort that I needed, sold the saddle, and went back to the old Aliante and Aliante Versus.

Bottom line, while the saddles look similar and have what looks like only subtle changes, my butt did not find the changes subtle in any way. I wish I could have predicted this to save the expense of purchasing a new saddle then selling for a loss on eBay, but such is life!

That's my experience FWIW. However as you know, everyone's butt is different and I think you'd have to take the new saddle for a test ride to be sure. Are you close to a LBS that offers test saddles for rent?

Good luck!

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Iíve ridden both saddles and currently have the Evo on one of my bikes. I think the fit is closer to the standard Antares and has a lot more flex compared to the old VS model. I just installed it this winter and havenít taken a long ride on it yet, so unable to give you much further input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Which do you prefer: VS or the Evo? I have only ridden 8.5 miles (before I crashed) on the VS demo. It appears it isnít even on the Fizik site any longer.

The Evos seem more like the Fabric saddles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterTi View Post
    I understand your concern about purchasing a saddle that might not work. I've shared your predicament, and have tried the Aliante versions of those saddles, but not the Antares ones.

Here's my experiences and thoughts:
    I've used both the Fizik Aliante and Fizik Aliante Versus for many years, as I have one on each of my 2 main bikes. I can ride 1 - 1 1/2 hours on them without noticing the saddle, so they must fit well when you don't even think about the saddle during the rides. After 1 - 1 1/2 hours, I can feel pressure in the perineal area and have been looking for a saddle that might relieve the pressure more.

I found that while the Fizik Aliante Versus Evo has the same shape as the Aliante Versus, it feels quite different. More pressure relief in the perineum for sure, and this is noticeable right away. However the padding / foam is much more dense than either the Aliante and Aliante Versus, and this too is noticeable right away. By half an hour into the rides, I found the pressure building up over the ischial tuberosities (sit bones) to be high enough that I was constantly squirming on the saddle to find the "sweet spot" of comfort, or needing to get out of the saddle to relieve pressure. After 4-5 rides on the Fizik Aliante Versus Evo, I could not find the comfort that I needed, sold the saddle, and went back to the old Aliante and Aliante Versus.

Bottom line, while the saddles look similar and have what looks like only subtle changes, my butt did not find the changes subtle in any way. I wish I could have predicted this to save the expense of purchasing a new saddle then selling for a loss on eBay, but such is life!

That's my experience FWIW. However as you know, everyone's butt is different and I think you'd have to take the new saddle for a test ride to be sure. Are you close to a LBS that offers test saddles for rent?

Good luck!
    How is your Aliante situated? Is the front part parallel to the ground, or is the front as high/almost as high as the rear, so that there is a "valley" in the center? FWIW, I have my "Kurve Bull" setup like the latter, and I can go for hours with no pain. It took me a while to get the setback, and height right, so that I'm sitting on the rear "ramp", so that there is little to no pressure on the soft tissue. I just got to remember to stand every so often however.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    How is your Aliante situated? Is the front part parallel to the ground, or is the front as high/almost as high as the rear, so that there is a "valley" in the center? FWIW, I have my "Kurve Bull" setup like the latter, and I can go for hours with no pain. It took me a while to get the setback, and height right, so that I'm sitting on the rear "ramp", so that there is little to no pressure on the soft tissue. I just got to remember to stand every so often however.
    I have used the same setup for all 3 saddles: same height, setback, and level from the nose of the saddle to the back, leaving the "valley" in the middle. Seems to work well for the Aliante and Aliante VS, but not for the Aliante Versus Evo. I can't tell much difference between the old Aliante and Aliante VS, but the Versus Evo feels completely different to my butt.

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning33 View Post
    Which do you prefer: VS or the Evo? I have only ridden 8.5 miles (before I crashed) on the VS demo. It appears it isnít even on the Fizik site any longer.

The Evos seem more like the Fabric saddles.
    I think you directed this question to me. I do like the Evo better because it is closer to the regular Antares in regards to sit bone support, which for me, is really good.